Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 AM

131 posts, read 445,908 times

Advertisements

OK so I'm thinking of relocation from Raleigh, NC area to WPB area. Left Ga earlier this year b/c wages/economy were so poor where I was. Strong candidate for university admissions position near WPB, but want the skinny on the area before considering this huge move. I have four at home, 1 starting HS, 1 in MS, 1 in elementary, and a 2 year old. I currently rent a 1865 sq. ft. home in nice neighborhood for $1,200. Son in private home for $100/WK. I'm commuting about 40 minutes 1 way to work at the college here in Raleigh.

Looking for info on rental homes (prices/best area); good daycares (est. prices); BEST SCHOOLS.

If anyone has recently lived in Raleigh area and has relocated to FL, I'd like to hear their comparison of the areas as far as quality of life. My kids are very athletic (baseball, football, basketball) and I don't want a bunch of drama and gang activity w/in the schools. If you suggest an area, can you tell me about commute w/ traffic to WPB area, which would be where I'd be working? I have to make the judgment as to whether this would be a lateral move or upward move, not trying to spend $ moving into a less desirable situation.

Thanks for any and all information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
There are lots of suburbs of West Palm Beach which offer great. Look around this forum and the consensus is Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington and Boca Raton are your best bets for safe, family oriented communities with good schools. Palm Beach County actually has 3 nationally ranked High schools, and the rest of the schools in the areas I mentioned are A rated.

Expect to spend at least 1500/month for rent for a comparable home. I woudl check Craigslist or get a rent finder agency to help you out. I lived in Jupiter for four years and definitely would raise a family there. I can also answer any specific questions you have about that area. Others here live in Wellington and Boca, and can give you info about those locales.

Martin County is also nice w/ good schools, but commuting is a pain especially with gas prices as they are, and you'll be topping out your 40 minute commute requirement.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:29 AM

131 posts, read 445,908 times
Thanks so much for the info!!! My other concern is that there are so many foreclosures, that I'd hate to rent from someone and then find out they have not paid their mortgage and i'm evicted. That actually happened THIS MONTH to my best friend's friend who lives in that area (Hobe Sound).

Do you know what parts of Jupiter to stay away from? I'm drug and alcohol free, and have absolutely no desire for the partying lifestyle. WOW I didn't know there are 3 schools that are nationally rated, as everyone bashes the FLA educational system (including many posts on these threads!). I'm coming from Riverwood Elementary and middle school in Clayton, NC, and those schools are great. I also live in a terrific community here....so I really need to do my research. Unfortunately, the job I have here is not the best.

So the average rental for a decent 1800 Sq ft home in Martin County is OVER $1,400 A MONTH????? OMG! Do you have any idea about the daycare costs for a two year old? I don't have access to Craigslist unfortunately....(have to use puter at work, it's blocked)

Is coming from the Martin County area on 95 going to W. Palm Beach down by the waterfront bad? IF I am offered the job, my hours would be 8-5. Is 95 the only way to get there? Is PB hurricane alley???

Sorry so many questions.....and thanks so much for the info!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach