Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 AM

20 posts, read 73,444 times

Advertisements

After reading so many past boards, I am beginning to think that I am crazy to consider allowing my husband to consider a job offer in WBP. We are a young family. Schools are very important and overall quality of life as well. Any thoughts from people who have made a similar move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,951 times
If you have family in Rochester and enjoy being with them, then I say stay put. Florida is very transient, meaning people don't stay there for long. The weather is so HOT too now.
eek!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM

94 posts, read 367,967 times
you'd be crazy not to - can't believe you haven't left already. When I was working for a division of B&L in the 90's I had to go there to visit corp headquarters (nice building) - the town was dying then and the snowbanks higher than my head didn't help either.

Come on down the weather is beautiful and housing is getting down right cheap (off the water at least)

Old 06-26-2008, 05:32 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,808 times
Have you researched the schools in the area yet or would they be attending private school? Before you even consider moving to South Florida you should really make a trip here now for various reasons. The really hot/humid weather lasts well on into November/December. Would that affect your lifestyle? Are you happy where you are and maybe just looking for a change? If so, I would hold off on moving to FL.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Well, my cousin moved to Rochester from South Florida, and absolutely hates it up there. She's looking to move back.

Everyone has their own opinions. Perhaps you could rent for a while before sinking roots. Prices aren't going up.

And don't worry about sending your kids to private school if you live in Jupiter. Jupiter has excellent public schools.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM

20 posts, read 73,444 times
thank you everyone for your input. while the weather in rochester ny is certainly less than ideal, there is a tremendous sense of community, fabulous public schools (in our suburb, pittsford) and affordable housing. the city is dying, that is why we are looking at a specific job in wpb. i'm nervous to make such a drastic move, but realize that there is no reward without risk...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,770 times
Default How much risk will you bear?

The number one reason for most posters wanting to move to Florida is for the winter weather. Wages, job security, schools are different issues entirely. If your highest priorities are to live at the beach, swim in the winter, and brag about your awesome winter weather, then Florida is certainly the place for you. As the stock market is gradually approaching the 10000 level and questions continue to arise about our dismal national economy, one must understand that any "risk taking" move will have a more profound effect than in years past. As much as the national economy is in a state of flux, Florida is being hit especially hard by the downturn. For example, for the first time in many years, many Florida schools are unable to meet their budgets and lay-offs promise to be significant. The housing sector is creating further uncertainty upon the Florida economy.

Only you can determine your family's risk tolerance level(s). Regardless of what decision that you make, you need to ascertain beforehand whether the potential risk will be worth the losses that your family will be forced to endure if you are wrong. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,885 times
if schools, good morals, a wholesum lifestyle, kind/trustworthy people and safety are things u and your family really value then south florida prolly isnt for you. its a super fast paced, shady often slimy type of atmoshpere which is uncondusive to raising kids in 90% of the areas.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Honestly, what is wrong with Wellington and the whole of north PBC (north of PGA Blvd), or Stuart/Martin County? And no, the cost of living is not similar to Greenwich,CT, unless you consider new 2000 square foot homes for 250k in those areas to be in the millionaire zone. There are even some nice deals popping up in The Acreage (under 300k for a newer 2000 sq foot home on an acre or so, no HOA). However, it's way more expensive than Rochester.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 75,554 times
Unfortuntely, FL (especially SoFla) is becoming overcrowded and over developed. So if you are used to a lot of land, you might feel cramped. It's also VERYYYYY hot in the summer compared to NY. If you are not used to it, it's very difficult to live in it every day. I grew up down here and I am still not used to it! However, the schools up in North PBC are a lot better than down in South PBC, for sure. And its not QUITE as crowded as like the Boca/Delray, etc, area. You are right about the winters though, its the best! It's what every Floridian looks forward to. As for the jobs, yeah... they are few far between it seems in some departments. I am trying to stay neutral because there are good and bad things, like anywhere....Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach