Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 AM

32 posts, read 175,087 times

Advertisements

Almost every place I have ever rented; the landlord paid for water. We found a nice 2 bedroom house in Juno Beach for $1200 (after negotiating down from $1300) and we were ready to sign the lease and move in.

Now the landlord states that we are responsible for water and watering the lawn. The lawn is suppose to be really big and he's going to install sprinkers. My thinking is that he should be responsible for the water, ESPECIALLY if he's going to install sprinklers. Lawn maintence was his responsibility according to his ad so why are we responsible for the water he uses on his yard. (Granted we are going to use the yard but we don't own the home)

My question is.. is it normal practice for renters to pay for water.. what is the average water bill and is $1200 for 2 bedroom house a good deal in Juno Beach? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Yes, ime water is customary. I pay water for the house not the outside it's an HOA community and the outside is in the fees. My son pays water and it's not an HOA.

You say you were going to sign the lease and the lawn is "supposed to be really big" so I assume you haven't seen the place?

Be very careful renting here I lost $2400.00 down payment to a loser property owner. He was not in compliance with the statute but still you cannot recoup your money with a lien ...you can wait in line forever.

If the property was occupied for the past year ask to see the water bills or call the water company. Each house can be different depending on the mechanicals. Also find out about the hurricane protection. The tenant is customarily responsible for that for example he might have a bunch of plywood out in the garage that you'll have to screw up every time there's a hurricane. PITA. This house has metal shutters that have to be screwed up into place on a ladder and they are not featherweight. I misunderstood and thought that there was someone to do that, but there's not. I would NOT have taken this house for that sole reason had I thought to be more explicit. You cant just find people to do that sort of thing during an event. My next rental (if I rent) will have roll downs or the permanent fixed shutters already UP.

Paying water is also customary in many rentals in the North even apartments, it's not just Florida. Especially in a house. Renters will be very irresponsible with anything that's free, especially water and heat.

Do not do anything verbally if you come to an agreement that he'll pay water, make sure it's in the lease spelled out. My lease even says I'm responsible for the mechanicals like the air conditioning. HA yeah, right.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 51,661 times
I do not have to pay for water. This is the first place I am renting so I don't know what is typical.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,143 times
Most apartments do charge for water - my monthly bill ranges from $40 - $55.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 PM

27 posts, read 139,111 times
We rent, currently in Boynton Beach and we pay for our water. We did not have to pay when we rented in Connecticut or New York. I guess it just depends where you are. It seems to be the norm in Florida.

PS: Something else to check on, we were shocked to find that our auto insurance DOUBLED when we moved from Northern New York to Boynton Beach, FL

Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes, ime water is customary. I pay water for the house not the outside it's an HOA community and the outside is in the fees. My son pays water and it's not an HOA.

Paying water is also customary in many rentals in the North even apartments, it's not just Florida. Especially in a house. Renters will be very irresponsible with anything that's free, especially water and heat.

Hmmmm landlord currently pays heat and water in our apt. and almost every place I rented at least covered water. Still I think he should be responsible for the outdoor water. I don't mind paying for water that I am going to be using. I just feel I don'thave to pay to water the lawn especially since the ad states that the landlord is responsible for the maintenance of the yard. I mean it could go either way.. he could irresponsibly use the water sprinklers and we have to be responsible for that bill? But thanks for your advice. I appreciate it!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdiva View Post
PS: Something else to check on, we were shocked to find that our auto insurance DOUBLED when we moved from Northern New York to Boynton Beach, FL
Oh Okay, I will get that checked out. He has to raise his premium too because he will be driving sometimes to other sites. Darn it.. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
Most apartments do charge for water - my monthly bill ranges from $40 - $55.
Its not an apartment, a house. does that make a difference?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
dharma, I think Palm Beach County is still on water restriction, so you should only be watering teh lawn 1-2 times a week. At any rate, most people over-water anyway, so if the sprinklers are timed, you can adjust them to run for a shorter period of time or on fewer days.

Most condos in the buildings downtown West Palm have water included with the rent, but private homes typically do not and would not.

And you're lucky moving to Juno Beach rather than somewhere a bit South of you... your insurance rate will be less for auto.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Well, this is my first time living in a house (I mean since I went away to college when I was 18) so I guess I was misinformed about the utility. Thanks everyone for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach