Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM

15 posts, read 74,094 times

Advertisements

Hi...me and my boyfriend are looking to move to florida sometime in June of next year. I found a nice place in Lantana, but I haven't read or heard too much about it. We're both 25 and will be moving from Massachusetts. Any input would be greaty appreciated! thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Lantana is a great area. But, for your age !!! I wouldn't !! I have lived all over
Florida and if I were your age I would look into Panama City Beach, Destin,
Pensacola, etc. I have spent lots of time in those towns and they are just more fun !!! Too many retirees further south.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 AM

15 posts, read 74,094 times
Thank you for your input! We were also looking at West Palm Beach area, Orlando, and Bonyton Beach. But I've heard there are some "bad" parts of Boynton Beach....we just want an area with tons of things to do, close to the beaches, and most of all a place with a lot of job opportunities. We don't have any kids, and we are just SICK of the WINTER and how insanely expensive Massachusetts is and its getting worse and worse.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM

118 posts, read 465,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
Lantana is a great area. But, for your age !!! I wouldn't !! I have lived all over
Florida and if I were your age I would look into Panama City Beach, Destin,
Pensacola, etc. I have spent lots of time in those towns and they are just more fun !!! Too many retirees further south.
Ha, ha
My wife and I live in Panama City Beach and think that we would like to move to Lantana because there are so many people from Finland living there. My wife is from Finland and she misses her culture.
We are at that age where we are starting to complain about the kids of today, saying things like "we would have never done that when we were their age". Today is my 52d birthday, and just don't care to go out to the discos anymore.
Disco.....that's word has been out since the 70s.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,075 times
I've lived in Lantana and now Manalapan, FL for almost 30 years. Lantana has really gone down hill and the schools are not great. Mostly minority now but when my kids grew up here, the schools and neighborhood was great. Manalapan is one of the best cities in the US and it is East (the beach/island) of Lantana. If you live in western Lantana the schools may be better. If you want central Lantana, I would suggest private schooling.

All towns have bad or rundown sections. You just have to know where to look.

A wonderful area in the West Palm Beach area is the Royal Palm Beach and Acerage area and the schools are good. Also, if you go just north to North Palm, Palm Beach Gardens (the best mall but expensive) Jupiter, Tequesta and Juno areas you will find newer homes and newer schools.

Boynton has many new areas especially around the Congress Ave/Gateway Blvd areas. There are wonderful townhouses and appartments going up along with housing developments and huge new shopping developments.

Wellington is always a wonderful area with great schools and one of the best malls too. I love the Wellington area.

West Lake Worth is nice too, but not the East area especially East of I95.

Good luck in your search. And be sure to check out the schools.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 AM

42 posts, read 169,877 times
I have to agree that Lantana has gone downhill. I'm 26 and my husband is 29. I personally would never live there and know family members that bought a house out in west Lantana (beautiful subdvision of homes that were bought in 2003) but quickly moved out 2 years later because they didn't like it there . There is no cool nightlife or restaurant areas anywhere near there..except if you want to drive 15 min south to delray beach or 15 minutes north to west palm beach.

I live in east Delray Beach right by the ocean and downtown restaurants and shops and it's an awesome place to live. It's a little pricier to rent or buy in this area but it's nice living in a place that has a small "beach town" feel but it's also nice restuarants, bars, lounges all on one street (atlantic ave) it's also quite a big hot spot for the 20/30 something crowd. (one great place we like is called Dada's.. a historic home turned into a restaurant with lots of outside seating under a huge tree with hanging lights and lanterns, live music on weekends, wonderful vibe, and yummy drinks)

boynton isn't a bad area (there is one bad area though..right around the highway I-95..these neighborhoods border the interstate) but out in west (west would be past military trail or jog road) boynton is very well manicured, lots of neighborhoods, very family oriented or 55+ communities) i agree with another person's post about boynton's congress ave/gateway blvd area. the place that has lots of townhomes and condos is called renaissance commons and i have a friend that lives there (she's 27) and it's a great place to live too. you can literally walk out your door and go to eat/grab coffee at bonefish grill, moes southwest grill, jumpin java coffee house, pei wei asion diner, the coffee beanery, a great irish pub...etc (and this area is only about a 7 to 10 minute drive to atlantic ave in delray beach)

in our area we are also relatively close to other bigger cities...boca raton is 5 minutes away which has a great mall, Town Center and Ft. Lauderdale (30 min away) has a great downtown with shops, bars, restaurants..that's Las Olas Blvd.

there are retirees here but i definitely think lots of young people live here too

about the destin, pensecola area.. i went to florida state university in tallahassee and visited those two areas on many occasions, didn't like it at all...sleepy towns with TONS of old people (from what i saw) all the people are friendly with good ol' southern charm but coming from mass you may like south florida a little better b/c tons of northerners have moved down here. oh yeah and panama city beach.. GROSS nothing goes on there unless it's spring break for colleges in that area. the beach is lined with old rundown motels that look abandoned. my college boyfriend and i took two trips there (not during spring break) and the highlight of the trip was going to some cheesy beach mega store called alvin's island and an alligator farm (and you don't need to visit an alligator farm...you'll see plenty down here...for free)

Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM

51 posts, read 355,964 times
Lantana, fl is right by boynton beach...which is a very dangerous city to live in. But lantana is on chill mode and has a huge poor hispanic neighborhood but crime is very low in lantana. there are real chill mode like people. Lantana is very small and not a entertainment like city. But its great to live but if you all about fancy things and etc...just leave lantana alone. I myself would live there its straight.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 AM

118 posts, read 465,267 times
Jbianca,

You wouldn't recognize Panama City Beach now, compared to who it was just a few years ago. Gone are most of the lil old rundown motels. They have been replaced with very nice high rise hotels/condos. Alvin's Island is still here but they've build some new, more modern ones. Plus, we have some really nice restaurants, too. To include Bonefish Grill, Another Broken Egg and the most of the typical chain restaurants.
We've even got two (2) Hooters restaurants here now.
Google Pier Park, you will be impressed. It is very nice.
We even have a Hofbrau Haus,Tootsie's and Jimmy Buffets there.

There aren't that many old people here except during the wintertime, when the snowbirds come down. There are a lot of rednecks from Al, Ga, Ms, Tn, Ky here during the summer, as well as a good mixture of Yankees.

Delray Beach sounds like our kind of place. A place where you can walk out of your door and walk to a club or restaurant.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 793,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brie727 View Post
Hi...me and my boyfriend are looking to move to florida sometime in June of next year. I found a nice place in Lantana, but I haven't read or heard too much about it. We're both 25 and will be moving from Massachusetts. Any input would be greaty appreciated! thank you
lantana is a good place to live if youre looking to raise a family. there is a beach right down the street, but i really wouldnt wanna live in palm beach county if youre looking for tons of excitement. try dade. theres much more to do down there. all youll find in palm beach is lame downtowns, dirty ghettos, and rich stuck up old people.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 PM

15 posts, read 225,935 times
Default not dade

don't go to dade unless you're bilingual. i live in southern broward, and even here it's hard to find a neighbor who speaks english. besides, dade is the most unorganized, free-for-all place ever. if you like night life, etc, it will be hard to find anything outside of a strip mall unless you go to south beach... and then you're talking $$$. las olas riverfront in ft lauderdale has a great bar scene for 20-somethings though. an entire street with great live bands and beer allowed in the streets. there also is seminole paradise at hard rock. very fun. problem is, i moved from michigan 2 years ago, and i'm still trying to find friendly people. they're just not down here in S. Florida.

i like tampa and st. pete, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach