Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:44 PM

87 posts, read 250,134 times

Advertisements

My husband, 10-month-old daughter and I live in a quintessential New England town in CT. We are considering a move to S. FL because both of our families live there.

I grew up in Coral Springs, my husband grew up in WPB, but we both moved to NYC for college and stayed there before moving out to CT a few years ago.

Neither of us really like FL; however, we would be doing this for our families, want our daughter to be near her grandparents, vice versa, blah, blah, blah.

My husband would be working in Boca (Clint Moore Rd.) -- he has an offer -- and I will be looking for part-time writing/editing work. What area(s) would you recommend for a young family looking to be near other young professional families?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I don't know if it's tight knit, but Abacoa in Jupiter looks like a NE town. On street parking, front yards, sidewalks, front porches.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
The closest thing I can think of anything like that is commutable is maybe Lighthouse Point. It's really a different world here, for better or for worse. Abacoa in Jupiter kind of tries to emulate that feel, and it's nice but it's pretty fake, meaning not for everyone, also very far (45 minutes).

Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Yes, I should add that I do not like the contrived community concept. Would much prefer an organic community if that makes sense.

Nothing in Boca or Delray??

Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1010 View Post
Yes, I should add that I do not like the contrived community concept. Would much prefer an organic community if that makes sense.

Nothing in Boca or Delray??
Well, you could live around downtown Boca. Don't know your price range, but it's a beautiful area, still not what you are looking for but I suppose it could make a decent compromise. Downtown Delray Beach is VERY organic, but it's also very dangerous if you stray more than a block or two away. However, there are some nice townhome/condo type places around there that are definitely worth checking out. The strip is beautiful and your crowd, but it's quite a disparity.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:29 PM

My husband doesn't mind the gated communities that much, but having grown up in Coral Springs when it was a population of 10,000 and everyone had tons of space and different looking homes *and* the fact that we currently live in a Dutch Colonial from 1900, I am having a hard time looking at those types of communities.

On the other hand, having ***** that works is kind of appealing.

Price range is somewhat dependent on which job my husband takes. If he goes into academia, our price max is probably 650K. If not, we could maybe swing 750-800K. The area called Old Floresta (?) looks beautiful, but I think we could only get a shack there.

How's Canyon in Boynton? I assume WPB is too far of a commute to Boca, right?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Coral Springs when it had 10,000 people? How about...hmm...Parkland? They don't really like growth that much there either, so I wouldn't worry about it turning into the next Coral Springs either. If you don't mind the gated community thing that much, you can just stay in east Boca and you would actually be fine. Your price range covers a LOT of stuff.

Coral Springs is actually still fine, but I doubt you would be interested in living there now. You would want to stay away from the Riverside Dr area but the rest of it is still pretty decent, it still ranks as one of the safest cities in the whole country.

West (unincorporated) BB is overrated IMO, including the Canyon communities. Nice enough, but overrated. It's main asset is price. Nothing worth a commute unless you are looking for good schools and a nice house for the money. It's basically West Boca or Weston style development but it's fresh and new and a little cheaper.

If you are looking for something historic, there IS Victoria Park in Ft. Lauderdale, but you probably won't like the surroundings when you leave the neighborhood. Ft. Lauderdale is congested and kind of sleazy.

I would either just stay in Boca (chiefly east of 95, or at least Military Trail) or possibly check out Parkland.

There is also the Loxahatchee/Acreage area...if you want an acre or more of land. Parts of Wellington have a spacious, but nice neighborhood feel as well.

And then heading south, Davie/Cooper City also has that feel.

Also, how far would you be willing to commute, and what wouldn't you be willing to sacrifice that you have right now?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-15-2008 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: typo(s)

Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM

It's funny because we visited Canyon a couple of months ago, and I, too, thought it was overrated, but my husband liked it! I also happened to check out Heron Bay in Parkland and even though it was a bit cookie cutter, it wasn't as bad as Canyon (at least IMO). The issue with Parkland is that it might be a little far for my husband who hates driving and has erratic work hours when he's on call (he's an M.D.).

What are your thoughts on the area south of Southern? My dream would be El Cid, but knowing that it is out of our price range and way too far for hubby, I'm wondering if we could swing SoSo...?

Thanks, btw, for your great input!!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
You should look at Hobe Sound or Stuart. Those towns will give you what you are looking for. Martin County, though.

10,000? In my mind, 10,000 is a city and hardly quaint.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM

To answer your questions, I'd say 30 minutes for commuting.

What wouldn't we be willing to sacrifice? I don't know. I really would like to live in an area where people know their neighbors, kids can play with each other and people are educated and into different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach