Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,512 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have learned so much from reading answers to everyone else's questions so here are a few of mine. My husband and I are relocating to the Boca area from Maryland in the winter. We have four kids ages 2 to 7 years of age. My questions:

1. I understand that Del Prado and Water's Edge elementary in the 33482 & 33433 zipcodes are ranked in the top ten of all Florida schools based on schooldigger.net. Thus we want to live in those areas, any suggestions where to rent for the first year or two?

2. I will be attending Lynn University because University of Maimi is too far, but I don't know much about Lynn. Is it a strong academic school? I will be finishing my BA.

3. I love the idea of having community neighborhoods where you can walk to stores, shops etc. I get the impression that Boca is not set up that way. Is this true.

4. Two of my kids might go to daycare or pre-school. Any suggestions of for some I might look into?

5. I should point out that my husband will be working in West Boca and doesn't want to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work.

6. Lastly, I have heard of landlords renting properties to unassuming tenants, collect the rent and don't pay the mortgage because the house is on it's way to foreclosure. This is a concern and makes me wonder if we should rent in an apartment style townhome community? Are there any?

Oh and one more thing. The priority is the children being in a great school, however I would love a place near the beach. Our budget is about $2500 a month.

Any thoughts on any of my questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I don't know all that much about Boca, but why not look into Florida Atlantic University?

It's a public Florida school, and in all honesty more recognized and probably better received than Lynn University.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Ok, let's see if I can help you. I live in West Boca and my nearly 8 year old daughter goes to Del Prado's gifted program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennait View Post
Hello,

I have learned so much from reading answers to everyone else's questions so here are a few of mine. My husband and I are relocating to the Boca area from Maryland in the winter. We have four kids ages 2 to 7 years of age. My questions:

1. I understand that Del Prado and Water's Edge elementary in the 33482 & 33433 zipcodes are ranked in the top ten of all Florida schools based on schooldigger.net. Thus we want to live in those areas, any suggestions where to rent for the first year or two? Both schools are located in areas that are a bit more expensive (to me anyway). Regarding Waters Edge, I'd suggest checking out Boca Winds. The development is quite large and is very close to Waters Edge. Not close enough to walk, unless you're on the north end of the development. You'd have to cross a major road and I don't know what their crossing guard situation is over there. It's mostly single family homes that are in the attendance zone for Waters Edge. Regarding Del Prado, you have a few more options if you're looking for something other than a house. It's right in the middle of the neighborhood called Boca Del Mar. In there you have everything from apartments to single family homes. Both schools rank very high on the list due to their gifted programs. Nearly 60% of the kids that attend Del Prado are in gifted. If your child tests into the program, then your attendance zones expand out by quite a bit. I only know about the gifted curriculum for the schools. I've been told that Del Prado's curriculum focuses on enrichment learning while Waters Edge focuses on accelerated learning. To me, I prefer the enrichment. When I hear accelerated learning, it just makes me think the kids are receiving busy work.

2. I will be attending Lynn University because University of Maimi is too far, but I don't know much about Lynn. Is it a strong academic school? I will be finishing my BA.Lynn is a VERY small, private, liberal arts school. If you're going to be attending there, I'd suggest you look into the area for Del Prado. It's farther east and closer to Lynn. The west to east traffic flow in the morning can be a nightmare. With Waters Edge, you're literally on the edge of civilization. I don't know much about their programs though.

3. I love the idea of having community neighborhoods where you can walk to stores, shops etc. I get the impression that Boca is not set up that way. Is this true.I hate to break it to you, but very few areas are set up like that in South Florida. And the areas that are, aren't really family-friendly (in my eyes). But that's just my opinion. I've always lived in suburbia.

4. Two of my kids might go to daycare or pre-school. Any suggestions of for some I might look into?It's all going to depend on what area you want to live in. One school I can highly suggest is Primary Learning Place. They're about halfway between the 2 areas you're considering, but to the south. Also, if any of your kids miss the birthday cutoff for school (September 1), they have an EXCELLENT kindergarten and first grade program. Their cutoff is December 31st. There's also a Montessori school that's closer to Waters Edge. It's on Cain Blvd just north of Glades. The younger sibling of one of my daughter's friends went there and the parents couldn't have been more pleased. There are a number of other programs around the area too.

5. I should point out that my husband will be working in West Boca and doesn't want to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work.What part of West Boca? Traffic can vary, depending on what time he needs to be at work. If you live in the Boca Del Mar area and are heading out to 441 for work, it's conceivable that he could make it to work in 15 minutes because you're going against the flow.

6. Lastly, I have heard of landlords renting properties to unassuming tenants, collect the rent and don't pay the mortgage because the house is on it's way to foreclosure. This is a concern and makes me wonder if we should rent in an apartment style townhome community? Are there any?You'll find a lot of those in the Del Mar area. But even those could have the same issues (if they're individually owned). If you want a apartment style townhome community, then you might want to check out Palma Vista. I think that might be similar to what you're looking for, in your price range, but not in either school district you're looking for. However, if your kids test out as gifted, it MIGHT be in Del Prado's extended zone.

Oh and one more thing. The priority is the children being in a great school, however I would love a place near the beach. Our budget is about $2500 a month.What's your definition of "near"? If you want walking distance, you're not going to get it. Especially when considering everything else you're looking for, none of that is near the beach. Del Prado is the farther east school of the 2 you're considering. Waters Edge is spitting distance from the Everglades. Your husband won't have his 15 minute commute if you live east of Military Trail.

Any thoughts on any of my questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

S
I hope this helps you out some. If you have any further questions, feel free to DM me.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 49,028 times
Default Boca

We live in east boca for 2 years now and rent within 1 mile from the ocean and we pay way less than 2500 a month. You can ind something for 2500 a month on the beach but it will be renting from a private owner.
also, they are very very few places where you can just walk out of your apartment to the restaurants and stores. its slow here and not very full of life.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM

272 posts, read 908,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolinrome View Post
We live in east boca for 2 years now and rent within 1 mile from the ocean and we pay way less than 2500 a month. You can ind something for 2500 a month on the beach but it will be renting from a private owner.
also, they are very very few places where you can just walk out of your apartment to the restaurants and stores. its slow here and not very full of life.

Slow and not full of life? Compared to what?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 PM

11 posts, read 49,028 times
Compared to big cities....

Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM

207 posts, read 939,915 times
Comparing LYNN UNIV. TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI IS LIKE COMPARING A MOTOR SCOOTER TO A LIMOSINE

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,512 times
That's rough! How about Florida Atlantic University?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM

148 posts, read 682,450 times
You will probably find more courses at FAU, as well as lower tuition rates. Lynn University is a small, expensive, private university...they have many LD students there and a nationally-recognized college program for LD students (if you need this). Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach