Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:31 AM

35 posts, read 237,557 times

Advertisements

Is Jupiter a nice city? I don't really enjoy South Florida and was wondering if Jupiter is like South Florida. Statistically, it looks nice, but was wanting the opinions of those who've either lived there, or been there and know something about it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 11:23 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
Default jupiter

jupiter is really nice. originally from s fla, i have been to jupiter a few times. what do you mean exactly if it is just like the rest of s fla? if you mean retirees, lots of money, nice cars, nice homes, beautiful coastline, lots to do, attractive ppl, then yes. if that's what you are looking for, jupiter has it. it's also not as crowded as other parts of s fla (pretty expensive to live there), and i believe it is a pretty safe area as well. hope this helps. be more specific and i may be able to help you out a little better.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM

35 posts, read 237,557 times
Default Jupiter

I just meant that I don't particularly like Miami. I don't like rich, snobby, materialistic people. I also don't enjoy it when I feel like an outsider if I don't speak Spanish. I don't mind people with money, I just don't like people who think they are better than others. I am looking for a city that has nice amenities, but not alot of negative attitude. Did you say it's expensive to live in Jupiter? Do you housing, cost of living, or what? Hope that is a little more specific.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:15 PM

Default jupiter housing

is expensive, as is the rest of s fla. as far as the ppl, you will probably find a good mix of folks, with many of them probably being nice, well-educated, and less hispanic (i would guess --- simply due to the fact that when i think of jupiter, i think of mostly white folks). maybe someone who lives in the area could shed some more light. i am trying to watch what i say, b/c i dont want to make anyone mad, but usually when an area is somewhat wealthy, it is usually an older, caucasian community. just my opinion.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:32 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Like I've said in other posts, it's really hard to pin down anything in Florida. There area a lot of gated communities in Jupiter. I recently bought a vehicle from a a fellow who lives in Jupiter. He lives in Jonathan's Landing, where the houses start at $4 Million. I went to his house to pick up a bike rack, etc., that went with the RV, and discovered that the house wasn't anything special. Up in Port St. Lucie, it might have been $400,000 but it was at least $4 Million because it was in a Jupiter gated waterfront community. Add to this that Jonathan's Landing is one of the older, lower priced developements in Jupiter...

...Now, out in Loxahatchee, just west of Jupiter, the prices might be a bit better, and you might get more laid back living and a little acreage. And, I'm sure there must be some lower priced houses somewhere in Jupiter. There has to be, doesn't there?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:52 PM

that's a good point. maybe out in rpb/acreage, there may be some better deals. prices should be coming down soon...

Old 06-05-2006, 01:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
I'm in Jupiter and have lived in South Florida (Wellington, WPB, Lake Worth) for over 20 years...

Parts of it are quite nice and others much like anywhere else in South Florida...it is a little more laid-back than West Palm but as susceptible to the current over-growth that Palm Beach County is experiencing.

It is expensive to live here - the property values have jumped significantly in the past few years. That doesn't mean the houses themselves are really worth all that, but that the supposed demand is elevating the estimate. The houses in my neighborhood have been on the market for a very long time at or above 300,000.00 and are NOT selling. The hurricanes brought on a strong urge for many to relocate. I see some trying for 400,000. and are instead flipping agents - every week a new firm's sign goes up. This is what the Realtors and appraisers set as worth but not what most people are willing to pay for 1700 feet/20 years old and out-dated...
The older sections of Jupiter still have that 'old Florida' thing going on - very pleasant.

Jupiter has its own share of snobbery...Jupiter Island is s.w.a.n.k. and as my husband (a Florida native) puts it, the place where people who have money but don't need to be all Palm Beach about it, live. The houses are...well...what little you can see behind the gates; amazing, but the atmosphere is more elegantly subdued.

Lots of haughty gated communities going up around here on the Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens border.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:46 PM
JSR

16 posts, read 71,869 times
My husband will be staring a new job in Port Saint Lucie and we're moving to Florida in January. We're both from Connecticut and have lived in Greenwich for the past few years after spending a few years in NYC. We're both 30 and plan on starting a family soon. I've done quite a bit of research remotely and have narrowed the list of potential towns to live in to Stuart, Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens. Can anyone offer me some insight on these three towns? We are used to having lots to do...dining, shopping, etc. and will probably go into West Palm Beach often but I don't want his commute to be as difficult as it is now. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,809 times
Moving from Greenwich to Port St. lucie may be a bit of a culture shock. Try Jupiter or maybe Palm beach Gardens. The drive might be a little long though.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
My sister in law lives in Jupiter Farms and the housing and insurance market is a bit difficult. The homeowners insurance has doubled and many foreclosures in the area. She got insurance quotes that ranged from $3K to $6K, very expensive. If I had to move to the area I would do a very meticulous research to ensure that this is the place that I want to leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach