Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 69,868 times

Advertisements

I'm a single parent and I've lived in Florida for 9 years. I personally wouldn't want to raise my kids in Lake Worth. If I were a single person with no children, I'd live in some of the newer growing areas of Lake Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Default Yes

It is ghetto. Unless folks are going to oppose it, the nice areas still there will be too.

But of course, you're not allowed to do that.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 PM

95 posts, read 336,343 times
It has some "still nice" areas. I was born in Good Sam in 66, and we have owned a home in Lake Worth for over 40 years. It is like all towns, areas go through highs and lows. Right now it is going through changes, with the economy the way is is now, it will take quite a while to come back.

As a kid there were many more "open spaces". Military Trail was only a two lane road, and pretty much was the town limit. There was nothing much beyond the Trail, other than scrub brush. Rt 441 was considered the boonies, and NO ONE wanted to live as far out as Wellington.

While things have changed drastically, there are more changes to come. It may seem like a depressed area right now, it should come back again.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 66,683 times
What are the best areas in Coconut Creek, Florida?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 PM

My son and family want to move to Florida, Coral Springs and Port St. Lucie were named best places to live.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Gloria View Post
My son and family want to move to Florida, Coral Springs and Port St. Lucie were named best places to live.
You should start a separate thread--none of the places you've mentioned are near Lake Worth.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Gloria View Post
Hello,

You will find more information in the Port St. Lucie-Treasure Coast sections of this forum, as well as the Ft. Lauderdale section (for info on Coral Springs).

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 45,645 times
Thumbs down Yes Lake Worth is GHETTO (Looonngg)

[SIZE=3]To answer the poster if Lake Worth is a ghetto, in a word, YES.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lake Worth is two parts though, very important to know.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Almost any area in Lake Worth that is EAST of Congress Ave stay away from.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When calling or corresponding with someone that is selling or renting property in LW area just simply ask them. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Are you West Lake Worth or East Lake Worth?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And I agree with Manny561; Lake Worth is mostly lower income/poverty.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This is how it can be classified:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1) Near Lk Worth High School is extremely ghetto.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The streets are numbered and lettered. If you MUST rent or buy on a numbered or lettered street, the higher the street number the better off you are, in most cases.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3](example 15th Ave N is most likely a nicer area than 2nd Ave N.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2)Stay away from the Lake Osborne area and 6th Ave S near I-95.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you must go there wear a bio-hazardous material suit. Seriously.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Under the bridge prostitutes and druggies live and you will be robbed or at the very least approached if you are stopped at a red light or stop sign.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3](Always, always have windows up and locked and doors locked when touring through east lk worth.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It us unfortunate because I agree with alot of people here. East Lake Worth is old and very cute with a sweet looking downtown area and a nice look in general.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The homes are cottage style and not your typical Fla style homes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]but alot of illegals do cram into one 2 bedroom house or haitans.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I lived in Lk Worth twice. Once as a 20 yr old single woman in school.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It is cheap, I had a nice 1 br for like $350/mo. that was 10 yrs ago, but now it still is prob. not more than $500/mo.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Anyway it was not out of the ordinary to see people being chased on foot by cops or to walk down the street for a stroll and see a drunk couple barefoot and fighting in the street with like 5 dogs running loose.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Agian, this is the norm!!!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I remember a specific incident where I was watching TV one night and I had a knock at my door.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I answered and a cop told me to not be alarmed if I should notice him and other cops running around my yard soon because there was a crazy man on the loose nearby with a knife.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I just said OK and locked my door and made sure all my windows were locked than went back to my tv show.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]another time I left a cheap pair of flip flops, prob. $2, i left than on my front stoop b/c I had washed my car and I wanted them to dry.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]well within 10 minutes of getting cleaned up I went outside and my cheap flip flops were stolen from my front stoop in broad daylight.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I just laughed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also re: East Lk Worth; stay away from A Street and the water tower.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This area is located on the opposite side of Lk Worth High School I warned u about.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]PINE STREET is a DEFINETE NO![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My now husband and I went to a football game in Miami 3 hrs away and were gone maybe 10 hrs total.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well we took my husbands truck to miami, I left my car home and my keys inside the house.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]well when we pulled up home later that day we find our house being cleaned out at that very moment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]our bed was stolen (a queen bed) a sofa, an entire computer desktop and desk, 2 tvs 3 dvd players and the worst....the stupid things these idiots took also.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]our toaster, pots and pans, makeup, toiletries, sheets, clothes dirty and clean!
makeup, throw rugs and pillows, literally everything, i kid you not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We were renting this place and this happened on a saturday so our landlord, not wanting to work on his weekend, said he wouldn't come by to change the locks till Monday![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]so since these thieves still had my keys (we caught them as they were loading my car up with loot and they ran off with keys in hand) we were afraid they'd be back even though there was nothing left to take!
none the less, my husband and I slept with knives under our pillows for two nights and the lights on![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So basically within a 10 hr period, a few theives robbed us blind and used my tiny toyota to make trips back and forth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Oh and we also had a peeping tom at this home for about 2 weeks everynight like clockwork at 11pm.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I'm telling you, this would be funny if it weren't true![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ok so now quickly on to West Lake Worth;[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It's no gem either but it is cleaner and more "upscale" (for lack of a better word) than E Lk Worth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]West Lk Worth is mostly Jog Rd filled with loads of subdivisions and developments that are now about 10-15 yrs old but still in nice condition.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Some subdivisions are newer though.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]west lk worth is basically a cleaner version of east lk worth but I still wouldn't plan a permanent move there or get too comfy cozy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]you'll see soon enough.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ok, recap time!
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Major no-no's[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. Hypoluxo RD (regular shootings occur especially near Hypoluxo and the numbered streets....)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2.Lake Osborne[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3. Near Lake Worth HS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4. Numbered and lettered streets except if it's a must, the higher the better[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]5. Forest Hill Blvd is mostly bad especially near congress ave[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]OK Areas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. near PBCC Lake Worth campus isn't too bad but stay south of the campus not north of it!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2.) Dell Ave and alot of areas near Green Acres are sometimes "good enough"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And thats about it really![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I hope I helped, any questions, feel free to ask![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Don't say you weren't warned, enter Lake Worth, FL upon your own risk! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 AM

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM

148 posts, read 637,668 times
That is a sad but amusing to read. I have to say though, Riveria Beach is worse. Do you remember the story in the Palm Beach Post a few years ago about the life of a 50+ year old prostitute who has been doing crack for so long she damaged her nervous system and can't walk properly?

Have you ever been to Belle Glade? I once had to drive to Bonita Springs for work and was a recent transplant from Texas. I had to stop for gas in Belle Glade and someone walked up to me and commented on my Lacoste shirt. I thought he was going to rob it off my back so I stopped filling the car with gas and took off. It is the most depressing place I have ever seen in my life except for parts of Detroit. The hospital out there looks like it is from a poor Carribean island. I guess it was built in the 1930's and I recall it having jalousie windows but it had been such a long time I might be mistaken. It is hard to believe this place is in the United States let alone Palm Beach County. It is criminal that the county does not do more to help the people out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach