Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times

Advertisements

Compelled, when you get married I know your plans are to move outta S FL. Raleigh is an excellent choice for you.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
"There's no reason to not feel safe there. About the worst thing that would happen to anyone there is that an lonely old grumpy guy might poke you with his cane."

This is bazaar. This is the worst thing you think could happen there? I dont know what is so hard for you to understand, it is not safe there. Here I am telling you to have ur guard up and to not think that way, (because when you let ur guard down is when the opportunity arises), and you are still being .... you.

I have no further responses as you seem to be in rose colored glasses mode, lol.
When is the last time you went to the Palm Beach Mall BornInFL, and how often do you go there?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 AM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 793,307 times
The Gardens Mall, The Wellington Mall, and The Town Center Mall are the upscale malls in the county. Boynton Beach Mall and Palm Beach mall not so much. There was a gang shooting a couple years back in the boynton beach mall, and i wouldnt be surprised if the same thing happened in the palm beach mall.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
The Gardens Mall, The Wellington Mall, and The Town Center Mall are the upscale malls in the county. Boynton Beach Mall and Palm Beach mall not so much. There was a gang shooting a couple years back in the boynton beach mall, and i wouldnt be surprised if the same thing happened in the palm beach mall.
Aside from Wellington Green, the Gardens Mall and CityPlace taking away some of the business from further away communities that frequented the mall, what really started the downfall was a murder in 1999. It wasn't a random incident. The victim and perpetrator knew each other and had an earlier dispute. The perp knew the victim would be working at Chick-Fil-A, where he was a manager, so he targeted him--first as if committing a simple robbery, while he was at work.

For awhile after that, to give an impression of increased security, the mall management actually erected guard towers on the perimeter of the parking lot. That didn't help, because they looked more like prison guard towers, which further intimidated potential patrons. The guard towers are down now, but the reputational damage lingers, and now the mall is going out of business. Simon owns it, but last reports have it that they're still not sure what they're going to do with the property. There was talk of building a big Ikea there, but that has supposedly been scrubbed. There was a Target right across the street that wasn't that old and that's gone now too.

People often blame the problems on the fact that WPB's ghetto is nearby, but the ghetto was nearby for the entire existence of the Palm Beach Mall (and the nearby WPB Municipal Baseball Stadium, which no longer exists, and the WPB Auditorium, which is now owned by a religious organization instead), and the mall was booming at one point. The ghetto has actually shrunk in recent years, although further south.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Wow I never knew that mall went downhill in the past years. The area had a depressed look after the golf course was abandoned, but the old run-down West palm beach auditorium was bought and remodeled by the Jehovah's Witnesses, effectively removing the seedy element that used to hang out in the area. I know there's a few low income areas nearby but I never knew that crime made palm beach mall like the cutler ridge mall.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 PM

I dont go there anymore. Done even like going south of PBG to be honest with you. There is enough of a rat race here in Orlando to make anyone scream.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I dont go there anymore. Done even like going south of PBG to be honest with you. There is enough of a rat race here in Orlando to make anyone scream.
Right. So your beliefs of what it's like there might not resemble what it's actually like there. It sure doesn't resemble what I saw there.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
It's really a shame. I live right near the Palm Beach Mall and I was sad to see that half of it was closed during the summer. Now it seems like over 60% of the mall is closed up. For some reason all of the stores around it get tons of business but the mall itself is sadly dying out. I was hoping it wouldn't get bulldozed but the odds of it staying open for another few years don't seem very good right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Wow I never knew that mall went downhill in the past years. The area had a depressed look after the golf course was abandoned, but the old run-down West palm beach auditorium was bought and remodeled by the Jehovah's Witnesses, effectively removing the seedy element that used to hang out in the area. I know there's a few low income areas nearby but I never knew that crime made palm beach mall like the cutler ridge mall.
Didn't they try to remodel the Cutler Ridge Mall (now the Southland Mall) with little success? Also, is the Midway Mall (now the Mall of the Americas) going downhill in terms of business as well?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I heard rude people started shopping there too, so everyone started to go shopping in North Carolina.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post

Dont spread the word, NC needs to stay that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach