Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 17,729 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new in this forum, actually I found it only a couple of days ago. The reason I'm writing is because I'll move to Florida somewhere in July and work in Boca Raton ( Already have a job ). I have been looking for information about the place and found already lots and lots of comments, some nice, some not. What I would like to ask you if you could help me understand about the cost of living there.

What are the mandatory things where we have to spend money into and how much more or less do you spend?
- Insurances ( health, dental, car, etc, etc )
- House ( water, gas, internet, etc, etc )
- Taxes, how much do you pay for taxes? I heard that it's around 20% plus 7.6% from your salary, is this correct or am I missing something?
- Something else ?

- How much is a good salary to live in there?
- I like sports like BTT, jogging, RC modelling ( planes, cars, helis ), etc.

Sorry about all this question, but I still don't know that well US laws and costumes, and I also don't know the place!

Also for a guy less than 30, where would be a nice place to live considering the working place? I was looking online already and find a lot of places but I was told that a lot of them that are for senior. Not that I don't like old people, but If I have a place with people +- my age and the same interests it would be best. I'm trying not to pay too much for living, I don't need a big house, 1 or 2 rooms is enough. Buying an apartment is not in my plans, at least not for now!

This tread "//www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/30270-help-me-calculate-my-budget.html" was very helpful, but I was looking for something with more info and related to Boca Raton area.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM

356 posts, read 1,268,996 times
I cant answer all your questions but I can some. My brother lives in boca and I live 30 minutes away

- Insurances ( health, dental, car, etc, etc ) We pay 1000 for ins. for me my DH and son. Car ins is 120m.

- House ( water, gas, internet, etc, etc )water about 50, internet 50 and ellectric 250

- How much is a good salary to live in there? Boca has high maintience fees. I say a good salary is 80,000+

- I like sports like BTT, jogging, RC modelling ( planes, cars, helis ), etc

There is a park, I think it is markum park (it is not far from boca) people fly their model planes there on the weekends. I think that is what you are refering to when you say RC right?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 17,729 times
Hi there,

Thanks for the info, it's not all that I need to know but it's already a nice help. what about the nice places to live? do you know some?

Thanks a lot

Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 PM

269 posts, read 1,257,896 times
west boca is newer and less crowded than east boca

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
Default I live in west Boca and like it.

Are you looking to rent or to own? Condo, house? There's a place called Tuscany Pointe (off S.W. 18th) that use to be apts./condos but are now selling the units. They still might be renting some. Seemed a nice place for people 30 plus to live in. We were going to rent there but found a house instead so we bought the house. If I were to rent or buy a condo, it would be a place I'd consider. Ask for a place in the back though unless it doesn't matter.

As for jobs, I am looking for one now. You are already ahead of the game. Maybe if I help you find living quarters, you could help me find a job. Oh, the man across the street is renting a private room plus use of bathroom and kitchen etc. Nice and normal person. If you are quiet and law abiding, he just might rent you the room.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,819 times
Default P.S. There is a place to fly planes...

There is a strip for that and looked like fun. Google should be able to lead the way.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 AM

43 posts, read 123,407 times
Default Moving to Boca Area

You can also look in East Delray Beach or even Boynton Beach for apartments. I don't know where you'll be working in Boca, but Boynton isn't that far from there. I live in Lantana (north of boynton) and work in Boca and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to work in the morning going down I-95.

If you want to live in the intracoastal, there are quite a few apartment complexes in Boynton on the water, which can be very nice. You'll find that Boca is going to be expensive to live in so expand your search a little bit. Check out www.rent.net for apartments.

My car insurance is about $117/mo and my motorcycle insurance is $22/month (two different insurance companies). I own a condo so my home insurance is about $1000/year. We have no state income tax so you'll only have to pay federal and that will depend on what your salary is. As for sales tax on purchases it's 6.5%.

For someone under 30 there are plenty of places to go for nightlife. Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach is a hot spot, there's Mizner Park in Boca, Las Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale and Clematis in West Palm Beach. It really depends on what you want to do.

I hope this helps. If you still need questions answers or need any other info, I'm happy to help out.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times
Here is my input on Boca. I bought a townhouse 3 years ago in East Boca. Boca is a really nice town that has been trying for years to redevelop and transform its downtown area. They are building several condos, some lofts and other "sort of urbanish" type places going up with the goal of pedestrianizing the place. A lot of new restaurants have opened up in East Boca and the place has started to buzz in the winter months. Anyway, if you are 30'ish you may want to look in the East Boca area as you there are younger people living in this area and you can possibly find semi-affordable apartments in the area. West Boca is nice but has a lot of the single family homes and more retirees, chain restuarants and the like. My water bill is also about 35 a month, fpl(electric) is about 200, sales tax is 6%. The big problem lately has been homeowners insurance and our wind policies because of the hurricanes. That has gone up dramtically. However, the new govt in Tally has helped as I am getting a reduction and check back but who knows if there is another cane. Anyway, let us know if you have more specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach