Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM

114 posts, read 449,031 times

Advertisements

In this economic environment, do you think it is worth the risk to buy into an unfinished HOA. I'm concerned that the builder may run into financial trouble and not finish the development. More specifically, the development will have a total of 200 homes, 60 of which are built. Of the 60 built, 40 are sold. The builder will not build more until it clears out the inventory. Looking for all opinions and points of view. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM

148 posts, read 637,537 times
The lender has a first lein position on the property so if the developer or your neighbors default on their HOA fees you have to stand in line behind the lender. I would NEVER buy a condo in this market. You are much better off with a detached single family in a non-gated community. For instance, East Boca has none of that and you not dragged into your neighbor's foreclosure disaster.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM

162 posts, read 679,207 times
It really depends on the community and their current sales velocity. Most under performing developers are looking to sell their remaining lot inventory to investment funds (or other developers) which will then sit on the lots until market conditions improve. My guess is that they will do the bare minimum in maintenance until they are ready to sell lots. Chances are you're going to get a great price for a new home in this current environment. It might be worth it to buy if you feel the community has a strong upside. If you think its going to take 10 years to absorb the remaining lots, I'd look somewhere else... Also be sure to check for foreclosure filings within the community.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 35,932 times
I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of foreclosures in Boynton for you to choose from and get a good deal. Why take the risk? I know I wouldn't if I were in your shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach