Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

34 posts, read 168,021 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the information and do not feel you are looking to start a fight. The saleswoman did say that the houses would not be as expensive as the models they already have. I have to say this is not all that unusual for these newer communities that were not completely built out. The information we have is from the sales office regarding the soil issues. I have found some other information regarding the ground problems on line. I would like to keep this topic going if you all don't mind. It is very helpful. I am sure though that there are other areas in Wellington that have encountered similar situations regarding soil and water, they may not have been as public as this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,138 times
We put a deposit on a house there, got it back the same night. We wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing we might of put our new born baby and ourselves at risk just because we got a "good" deal. This place will always have a black eye and even if all things are safe and clean resale value will never be what it should be due to the stigma.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Toxic water? Geez, just knowing that would make me feel turned off on it and move on. There are so many other wonderful areas to choose from. Why buy in and then wonder for the rest of your life?

Just my two cents, you must not be totally comfortable with this or you would not have posted this question.

Best of luck with your purchase and congrats if you decide to keep that decision and move in.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Toxic water? Geez, just knowing that would make me feel turned off on it and move on. There are so many other wonderful areas to choose from. Why buy in and then wonder for the rest of your life?

Just my two cents, you must not be totally comfortable with this or you would not have posted this question.

Best of luck with your purchase and congrats if you decide to keep that decision and move in.
Thank you for the wishes of luck. I have to say that at this point I am totally comfortable with this. The questions asked were those of wanting to know more and what others felt, either way. I do not believe the water is toxic. The levels were elevated beyond what the state allows or sees to be acceptable. These levels were just recently changed, in regard to what is deemed acceptable or not. The drinking water and the water in general that comes into the home comes from the Village of Wellington, not the grounds on which OE was built. Therefore this water is the water that Versailles, Olympia, Lakefield and so on uses. The soil itself was excavated down three feet and carted away, a geo mat was then installed and new soil was put down. The findings all come back at acceptable levels, or there would not be CO's for new building to begin. We did not just rely on the word of the builders, but rather spoke with an independent geologist and seeked the advice of our attorney and and an attorney who has back ground with soil studies and samples. They all agree there is no danger here. Yes a "stigma" may prevail for a while, but we are choosing to buy a house to make a home, not one to "flip". The only issue that we can see right now is the pool situation. If you want to have a pool installed you must contract someone who is lisenced to remove and cart the ground water safely. This is not all that unusual, expensive yes. People encounter this all over the country, simply even if the water tables are high on their property. I know this is long and I apologize for the ramble. One final note though, the land was tested in the first place because it was a firing range. Just wanted to say what I did, and not have anyone who chose to buy in OE think they made a mistake, they are not alone in thinking this is a fine area with beautiful homes and amenities. I welcome each side of this discussion. Thanks to all.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Since the last post in this thread there are even fewer "built" homes available for purchase in O.E. It seems people are doing their "home work" when purchasing, and they are finding good things about this place. Perhaps the stigma that surrounded this community is beginning to fade. Good luck to all!!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
I am a resident of oakmont estates. I wish i could have shared some of my thoughts with you much earlier. Did you aleady purchase a home? I think oakmont is a great place to live. So far no problems with the soil or any construction problems. Everything is fixed in a prompt matter. The dust from the new construction is not an issue. Maybe as time goes on i will have an issue with oakmont, but not yet!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM

I am not sure if your post was directed to me, but I am responding anyhow. Yes, we did buy in Oakmont and we love it also! We looked for a home in this county and Wellington itself for a very long time. I can truly say without hesitation that no other home compared to the one we purchased. These houses were built with plenty of upgrades that came standard. Our home was upgraded to the "9's", what we purchased we saw in houses that had price tags of close to and over a million dollars. We are very happy with this home and community. There is building and selling going on, as you mentioned. We only see positive things for this community and are so glad we make the choice to purchase here.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,882 times
I am also looking in oakmont. Did you buy a house that was built already or one of the new floorplans they have? Thanks for any information.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsssz View Post
I am also looking in oakmont. Did you buy a house that was built already or one of the new floorplans they have? Thanks for any information.
Hi, we purchased a home that was already built. We love the home and community as I have said. They are finishing the model homes as I write this. I am sure if you have been here you will know that at least 8 lots have been sold already and construction for some of those sales have been started. Feel free to private message me if you have any concerns or questions. Best of luck to you!!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,882 times
I really love the feel of Oakmont. My realtor is trying to steer me away from Oakmont. Has anyone signed a disclosure about the soil? Does anyone know if the sprinkler system uses water from the lake? I appreciate any information. Thanks agaain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach