Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 38,602 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering relocating to FL (West Palm Beach, Miami area) in the near future (on the late end 2 years on the short end NOW). I am a single mother with 2 small children (2 & 4) and I want to find out more information about daycare and living expenses. I live in San Diego, CA right now but I need a change. I have been living in SD for almost 10 years now and I am over it! It is way too expensive and I need to get my own place and space. I do have immediate family here in SD but like I said before I need the change and separation. I am a Sr. Accountant at the company that I currently work for. I am also in the process of starting my own tax preparation business. Any insight would be great. I need to rent for a couple of years before I can buy anything and am open to either a renting a house or apartment. I have never done anything like this before so I'm not even sure how much money I need to save or if I should get rid of everything and start again or attempt the U-Haul (which is NEGATIVE). Please feel free to email me directly at my email address or post here on the site. paradiselost921@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 AM

44 posts, read 196,572 times
Default Not Miami

I would look somewhere else in Florida. Miami is very expensive and not really a safe place to raise kids. Its nice to visit but thats all. The traffic is awful, the schools are not great and you are probably looking at the same high cost of living as you are experiencing now but only with a lower salary. I lived there for a bit and moved as soon as I could there are other parts of florida that you might want to consider that are very family friendly and understand english in miami you almost have to know spainsh to be able to communicate with anyone down there. I definitly would not recommend it.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
While Miami gets way too much negativity on this forum, I have to agree with jmfikucki. I live in Broward County (Fort Lauderdale). There are some good schools here. However, if I had small children, I would go further north.

Cost of living is high and the salaries are low - much lower than San Diego. Before making the big move, make sure you have a job first.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,218 times
Default Ugh Miami.

You couldn't pay me to live there. Now I see someone mentioned Clermont in another thread. That is a very pretty new town. Not near the ocean but there are lakes about. Tampa may be a little too busy but the bedroom communities around Tampa are nice. Slower pace. More room. Some wooded areas available. Brooksville, Spring Hill. "No" to Hudson. Depends on what you like. But "no" to Miami. IMHO

Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I think you would do well to move into or near the Tampa Bay Area - much better for jobs, and if you want to rent you will have a lot of choices. You could live in Tampa or St. Pete or a nice "bedroom community" of either, and be within reasonable distance to beaches and all that this area has to offer. I would move "light" get rid of anything not so great and buy new over here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach