Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM

66 posts, read 238,086 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
I've been reading thru these forums and have found endless amounts of helpful info! Thank you!

My hubby and I are self employed and work from home and are considering (seriously considering) a move from LA to South Florida. In particular, due to what friends have told us, we've been looking at Delray Beach and Boca Raton. But I have seen some nice looking homes in Boynton and can't seem to find much info on that area. Can anyone enlighten me? The property is pretty close to the beach and is really nice.

We are non-HOA types, no communities and just single family home type folks. We like to have a veggie garden and that sort of thing so we're looking to find somewhere to do our own thing. (hence the non-HOA thought)

I know a neighborhood cannot be classified as good or bad but if a certain area is just instantly... oh stay away from there... it'd be cool to know especially in regards to Boynton Beach.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Hi. I used to live in Ventura and now am living in Boca. A few ?'s. What is making you want to move? Do you have kids? I really enjoyed living in Ca but due to health issues moved. Anyhow I do feel Ca is so unreal expensive and what you get even for that is not as much as you do in FL. It is much slower paced in FL though if you moved to Miami that may be more up then in Boca of course. There is a mix of people in FL and I saw more not so nice in the winter then now. I think it is from the mix of people from all areas. There is no perfect. The weather of course is not as nice in FL as in Ca but better to me then my hometown MI. What I found when I came to FL and looked for a place is it is very key to drive around the place you want to buy or rent because some places I viewed were nice but a mile a way I did not feel safe. That was in West Palm. I really enjoyed when I rented in Wellington and heard Royal Palm is nice as well. If you decide maybe you could rent for awhile so you can find a location that will fit you. If you do this be careful of when you come. I first came in the winter and seasonal rentals are expensive and even a year lease I felt there was less out there. If you want you can message me anytime

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the info! All good questions. We have wanted to move for ages and since our employment as of this year comes with us wherever we go, it has opened up the playing field. Not interested in Miami as that is way too jumping for what we want. We do not have kids living with us so that is easy.

Our main reason for wanting to move there is that we have been to a few islands in the Caribbean and we both love it. We just want to be closer to that lifestyle of warm water and island feel. Plus as you say, the price in LA? Forget it. We rent here and it's crazy high priced even though we have a great deal for what we have.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it! Yes, I think we will rent at first to get to the know the area better. Still... we are coming to visit the end of August to check out the high humidity and see what we think overall.

Oh as for Miami, that is totally not us. We live in a quiet little residential area in LA and just want something even quieter. Even though we are not retirees or anything close to that, we are looking for an ocean lifestyle with bicycling and gardening and whole lot of swimming involved.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
firsttimer, if you like the "seaside village" feel, but still like being just minutes away from world class dining and shopping, check out Juno Beach, North Palm Beach, Jupiter, and Tequesta in Northern Palm Beach County.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Do you know where you are going to stay when you come like what area? I understand as Miami would be too much for me as well. I live in Boca like I stated and it is older then I but may be something you would like. It is low key with shopping,restaurant,boating.I feel safe as a single young lady. There are though a lot of snow birds here as I was one even though I was young last year. I also heard that Delray has a cute downtown. Juiptor some suggested,Boynton Beach,I really like Wellington. Good luck and it does take adjusting to the humidity. I am originally from MI and we have humid weather but nothing like this and coming from very dry Ca it will take time.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks Daniella! We are staying at Crane's Beachhouse in Delray Beach. The downtown area there does look pretty cool so that drew us in. I have an acquaintance who lives in Delray and we read that it felt a little bit like Venice Beach which is an absolute fave here in So Cal.

We are ideally looking for someplace that welcomes our funky spirit, bohemian attitudes and we can have some space to do what we do. We are videographers, musicians, artists, raw food chefs and like to have a very active lifestyle with a swimming pool and an ocean. Is Delray Beach this place? Or one of the other towns?

Oh, as it turns out, my acquaintance in Delray will be out of town while we're there! Ha!

Thank you for the reminder on the humidity. We just had a vacation in late June in the Caribbean and it was very humid for the whole trip. Didn't bother us. In fact, we both kind of liked it.

Other interests... we love to farmers markets, organic food, movies in a comfy theater! We're not too big on 'shopping' or dining out a whole lot. Really looking for that artistic vibe in South Florida!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM

90 posts, read 226,433 times
As someone said, if I were you I would be looking North, at Jupiter, Tequesta, Juno Beach area. :-)

Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info. Been checking out those areas to the north, too now.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
firsttimer99,

Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, and Juno Beach are really nice areas, but they are heavy on the shopping/eating scene and I'm not sure they have too much of a Bohemian feel. Delray is ok.

I would also consider Lauderdale By The Seas which is a community on the beach in Broward County just east of Pompano Beach. That place is the defenition of Bohemian. Most of it is highrise beachside condos, but there are some homes too. You can walk to the beach from anywhere on the island, and there are tiki bars and restaurants. It is very laid back. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping across the bridge in Pompano Beach too if you need that.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the info on areas! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach