Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,183 times

Advertisements

So, I will be a first-year elementary special education teacher in NJ in September. My boyfriend and I have been kicking around the idea of moving to FL for the past two year because we need a change of pace/relocation and would like to live somewhere that we can call 'our' home. We would be looking to rent (at first) in Boca Raton. (We have stayed at a family-owned condo in Boca and usually go at least twice each year). We both enjoy the hot weather, the number of places to go/restaurants, and living close to the beach . Where we live in NJ it takes over an hour to get to the beach (and that is at 7 a.m. before the traffic on the parkway gets backed up) and once you get there you need to try and find a parking spot and a place to set up on the beach since there are only 3 months out of the year that you can go. Anyway, I am looking to teach in either Palm Beach County or Broward County, not Miami-Dade because the commute would be just too much. Can anyone give me any information about these two school districts?
Why does Florida have such a bad reputation when it comes to public education?
What elementary schools (in these two districts) are considered to be 'the best'?
Do FL standards compare to NJ standards?
Are the expectations of the students different?
I hear a lot of complaints about how teachers teach to the FCAT. Is there a difference between how those teachers teach to that test and how NJ teachers teach to the NJASK?
What is the special education system down there like?
Does FL have a strong teacher union, like NJEA?

Please, if you live in FL, or have taught in NJ and now teach in FL, and can give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher11 View Post
So, I will be a first-year elementary special education teacher in NJ in September. My boyfriend and I have been kicking around the idea of moving to FL for the past two year because we need a change of pace/relocation and would like to live somewhere that we can call 'our' home. We would be looking to rent (at first) in Boca Raton. (We have stayed at a family-owned condo in Boca and usually go at least twice each year). We both enjoy the hot weather, the number of places to go/restaurants, and living close to the beach . Where we live in NJ it takes over an hour to get to the beach (and that is at 7 a.m. before the traffic on the parkway gets backed up) and once you get there you need to try and find a parking spot and a place to set up on the beach since there are only 3 months out of the year that you can go. Anyway, I am looking to teach in either Palm Beach County or Broward County, not Miami-Dade because the commute would be just too much. Can anyone give me any information about these two school districts?
Why does Florida have such a bad reputation when it comes to public education?
What elementary schools (in these two districts) are considered to be 'the best'?
Do FL standards compare to NJ standards?
Are the expectations of the students different?
I hear a lot of complaints about how teachers teach to the FCAT. Is there a difference between how those teachers teach to that test and how NJ teachers teach to the NJASK?
What is the special education system down there like?
Does FL have a strong teacher union, like NJEA?

Please, if you live in FL, or have taught in NJ and now teach in FL, and can give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
if you are looking in boca u can try these schools although not sure if anyone is hiring right now due to the economy...

Waters Edge Elem
Sunrise Park Elem
Sunset park Elem
sandpipper Shores Elem
Del Prada Elem
Addison Mizener

I know im leaving a few out but these are the only schools I know of

good luck

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,590 times
My Wife has been in the education system of Vermont,
Pennsylvania and Florida. She is in one of the better school
districts in the state but in Martin Co. right now and likes it.
She interviewed at a quite a few schools in WPB while we were in VT,
and found them very undesirable. Fortunately, Martin came through.....
My useless opinion, I wouldnt teach in most schools in Palm Beach County,
Broward or Dade, period. But, I dont know where in Jersey you are so it
might not be that bad for you if you are near Camden or Newark or something
like that. I would only say if you get a nice offer, check the school out very carefully.
My Sister in Law has been in the private area of education here for a while and it
seems a lot of the private and religious institutions are lacking too, but there is less
of a chance of harm coming to your child, so they do well despite the not-so-great
education they provide.
Yes, the FCAT is HUGE here. Its very hard for teachers, hurts the kids. Get ready
for everything to stop for FCATS when its that time of year. There is a Union here
for teachers. Good luck on whatever you decide

Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 AM

90 posts, read 226,463 times
The post above me is good advice. North Palm Beach county is too often overlooked, as is Martin County. Both areas are significantly less crowded than Boca, with the same amenities, though if you like the hustle and bustle, then by all means go to Boca it's a great place too! Just saying, a lot of people up North haven't heard of Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter and Tequesta as much as Boca, and it's a shame!

Schools in Florida are not considered as good because the property taxes are lower; thus less $ is spent on education. Additionally, Florida's population, especially its school age population, has grown exponentially over the past decade or two. New Jersey's hasn't really grown all that much, and thus has not had to build new schools or add new teachers at the same rate.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,616 times
I'm not a teacher, down here but I am a Mommy. It seems that too much is put into the FCAT. If you want to do well,your students must do well on it. It seems it dosen't matter if the children learn or not, just as long as they do well on the FCAT. I don't like it at all. I wish I stayed in Jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach