Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 PM

315 posts, read 776,195 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to what other buyers who have recently purchased are buying and for what price range. This would be for the greater area. Also, did you opt for a short sale or straight purchase?

Tell is what type of sale it was
Where itwas located
The size, type of home etc
and the price you paid.

I just emailed a buddy a home I thought was a good deal and he zapped me back saying he could do much better in this market. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
I believe that most RE deals that are good are at or a tad below the current market value of the homes in the area you are looking. Funny because your home could have been $450k 2 years ago and today's value would be appraised at around 50% of the 2 year old price. Finding a builder who will build the same home for 50% off will never happen.. The ones that are profiting are the speulators in todays' market but we hope they do not because that is one of many reasons why the majority of the homes went crazy high in price then dropped like a rock.

A home across the street from my buddy just went for $125k and it was refinanced in 2006 for $280,000. Comparison buying is better known through a realtor and you will get the very honest answer from a realtor...Asking the question in the blog could and probably will get you a lot of "what if's" and "this is what I did" and they could be true but not 100% accurate. Realtors MUST be 100% accurate because they stive to be a professional who is resonsible for what they say and do..

Are you a speculator?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM

315 posts, read 776,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I believe that most RE deals that are good are at or a tad below the current market value of the homes in the area you are looking. Funny because your home could have been $450k 2 years ago and today's value would be appraised at around 50% of the 2 year old price. Finding a builder who will build the same home for 50% off will never happen.. The ones that are profiting are the speulators in todays' market but we hope they do not because that is one of many reasons why the majority of the homes went crazy high in price then dropped like a rock.

A home across the street from my buddy just went for $125k and it was refinanced in 2006 for $280,000. Comparison buying is better known through a realtor and you will get the very honest answer from a realtor...Asking the question in the blog could and probably will get you a lot of "what if's" and "this is what I did" and they could be true but not 100% accurate. Realtors MUST be 100% accurate because they stive to be a professional who is resonsible for what they say and do..

Are you a speculator?
Nope, not a speculator, rather a spectator. Just trying to help a family member out with buying a good single family home at a fair price. That is it.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Nope, not a speculator, rather a spectator. Just trying to help a family member out with buying a good single family home at a fair price. That is it.
I thought she decided against South Florida?

For what it's worth, both myself and friends of mine have bought homes in the past year. Both short sales. Both for about half of "top listing price."

My friends bought in the southend of West Palm Beach (the "South of Southern" area), and I live closer to downtown WPB, in a historic neighborhood.

Instead of Wellington, why not search in Jupiter and Tequesta, or look further north to Palm City, Hobe Sound, and parts of Port St. Lucie? Also, what about Royal Palm Beach (often considered a less expensive alternative to Wellington). Do NOT look at what "current" taxes are on a home and think that's what you're going to pay. "Budget" 2% of appraised value as what taxes will be, though in all likelihood, if homesteaded, it will be less than 2%.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM

141 posts, read 453,572 times
check out southflorida.blockshopper.com

to see what houses were originally sold for and what they are selling for now

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 AM

41 posts, read 177,545 times
I'm really only familliar with the Lake Ida/Eden AND Mission Hill/Chapel Hill areas in east Delray/Boynton. My wife and I have biked the area for the past 10 years and it seems that compared with 2-3 years ago homes are now approximately 30-40% down. There are'nt many foreclosures from what we can tell(by this I mean run down, overgrown weedtype yards, I haven't checked any other source of info though). In the last couple months homes have sold and we are very happy as we've noticed many sale pending signs and new residents moving in(may have to do with school year). As far as price goes, there are huge homes selling for 400-500k now opposed to 7-800k, 2-3 years ago. Definately a major drop in price but the good thing is they are moving and some even as quick as a couple weeks. Don't expect much land with the these homes as we are east and near the beach usually means smaller lot size although there are some bigger ones. You have too look hard and maybe drive around and even check the county PAPA website to verify lot size, sometimes realtors make mistakes and don't advertise the correct size lot. Less expensive homes are in the 175k-300k range and yes they are selling too.

Last edited by Surfalot; 08-19-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 32,590 times
Default Buying House

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Don't buy, rent. If you do your homework you will see that is not worth to buy a house here in SFL. Just with the taxes and insurance you will pay 6 month worth of rent and in a very expensive place. Just an example:

You can rent a $300.000.00 home for around $1800.

The taxes would be around 6K insurance another 4 ~ 5.
Again think like an investor and you will see that is not worth. The realtors are going to jump on this one. Just do the math. I forgot to add, PBC is a dump. If you decide Miami, first learn Spanish. Trust me is a dump.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800acess

The taxes would be around 6K insurance another 4 ~ 5.
Again think like an investor and you will see that is not worth. The realtors are going to jump on this one. Just do the math. I forgot to add, PBC is a dump. If you decide Miami, first learn Spanish. Trust me is a dump.
I know people living three blocks from the water that don't even pay 4-5k in insurance.

A little less time on message boards and a bit more calling an independent insurance agent can do worlds of good.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 32,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I know people living three blocks from the water that don't even pay 4-5k in insurance.

A little less time on message boards and a bit more calling an independent insurance agent can do worlds of good.

Sorry, I'm talking about homes, not about MOBILE HOMES.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800acess View Post
Sorry, I'm talking about homes, not about MOBILE HOMES.
Lol, you think you could actually FIND insurance on a mobile home three blocks from the water?

Gosh, you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach