Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Well school starts tomorrow in Palm Beach County....My son is very nervous about going to HS...my dd is so happy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM

57 posts, read 167,841 times
Maybe i read this wrong but you did say school starts tomorrow right
Im lost its Aug 17th,2009?
Schools up here dont start till September 9th.
What kind of horrid game is that in Florida?
When do they get out of school?
I hope in May then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Well school starts tomorrow in Palm Beach County....My son is very nervous about going to HS...my dd is so happy...

Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM

593 posts, read 1,915,639 times
i'm excited to hear about water's edge!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
i'm excited to hear about water's edge!
I will report I promise lol but let me say, she got the best teachers..remember palm beach county is doing it differently this year..she has her homeroom teacher for homeroom and Reading, and another teacher for Math and writting and another teacher for Science and Social...its just so happens these are the best 4th grade teachers in the school...

School Starts Tomorrow and Ends June 3rd

Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
I had a less than stellar experience today at Orientation/Meet the Teacher(s). I had heard good things about my dd's homeroom teacher (Language Arts & Writing), but didn't like how she cut me off when I was trying to brief her about my dd. I already know what our issues are and I'm trying to save time so that she knows how to work with her and can get going on that. But nope...she totally cut me off and said that she didn't want to hear anything before she had time to form an opinion. Ok fine that she doesn't want other people forming her opinions, but I know our issues and am trying to get dd off to a good start. At least she did let me tell her that dd is the youngest in her class (starting 4th grade but won't be 9 until October).

I don't have any warm and fuzzies for her science/social studies teacher and didn't expect to either. I didn't know anything about her math teacher but feel a lot better about her now. She explained that my dd's class was the only one that was specifically put together the way it was because it's all the top math students. In the past they'd normally give a placement test but aren't doing that now due to departmentalization. This teacher said she's still going to be giving her own so that she can see which ones in this class can move on to the 5th grade curriculum and then tweak the others as needed.

This is going to be a fun year. (eyeroll)

P.S. For the one that said something about the start date, the rest of the school districts here in S. Fla. are starting on the 24th. There is a state law that says schools aren't supposed to start until 2 weeks prior to Labor Day (24th in this case) but added in a loophole to where the districts could change that. Palm Beach exercised their right because they supposedly thought that semester finals couldn't be given before winter break with having a school start date of the 24th. I still call BS on that one. Last day of school will be June 3rd.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Im sorry you had a bad experience..we had a nice experience at Orientation...my dd who is in 4th has the best homeroom/Reading teacher.....my neighbors kids had all 3 of her teachers and im not worried at all..My daughter has a 504 for Reading and was told yesterday it was given to the right person and we will be contacted once school gets in session....I also requested a meeting with her teachers which I will have in the next few weeks...Orientation isnt for us parents to discuss even briefly what our childs needs are...as I know from the last place we lived.....I was also told by her homeroom teacher to write a note, or an Email...You may want to try that....

What school is your dd in? My dd is in Waters Edge....I dont mind them starting this week we started on the 25th in NC and didnt get out until June 10th...

Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I thought I saw kids standing at the bus stop this morning in Boca. So quick. I know in MI some start the week before Labor Day and some right after. We always started after growing up. The summer went by so quick
Desdemona I hope things look up with the teachers. Hopefully regardless your daughter will have a productive and happy year

Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Im sorry you had a bad experience..we had a nice experience at Orientation...my dd who is in 4th has the best homeroom/Reading teacher.....my neighbors kids had all 3 of her teachers and im not worried at all..My daughter has a 504 for Reading and was told yesterday it was given to the right person and we will be contacted once school gets in session....I also requested a meeting with her teachers which I will have in the next few weeks...Orientation isnt for us parents to discuss even briefly what our childs needs are...as I know from the last place we lived.....I was also told by her homeroom teacher to write a note, or an Email...You may want to try that....

What school is your dd in? My dd is in Waters Edge....I dont mind them starting this week we started on the 25th in NC and didnt get out until June 10th...
Maybe eventually I'll end up emailing her. I'll let the dust settle some first. My dd is starting 4th grade at Del Prado (gifted). When I mentioned the age thing, her homeroom teacher said, "Did she start up in New York or something?" I told her that dd was in private for K and 1st grade because we had the opportunity to start her early.

I guess my fear is that I don't want a repeat of how 2nd grade had gone. I didn't find out until March that year that my dd was a major spacecase and the teacher wanted her to repeat the grade because dd was "so young and immature." Duh...of course she's going to seem young and immature because you also had kids that were starting the grade at age 8 (or nearly 8) while she was still 6. DD was nearly a straight A student--it wouldn't have gone over very well to tell her that her grades weren't good enough so she had to repeat. Oh, and the spacecase stuff...dd would look like she was zoning out during a lesson but then you'd ask her a question about stuff and she'd know the answer. This happened frequently because she was bored!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
Maybe eventually I'll end up emailing her. I'll let the dust settle some first. My dd is starting 4th grade at Del Prado (gifted). When I mentioned the age thing, her homeroom teacher said, "Did she start up in New York or something?" I told her that dd was in private for K and 1st grade because we had the opportunity to start her early.

I guess my fear is that I don't want a repeat of how 2nd grade had gone. I didn't find out until March that year that my dd was a major spacecase and the teacher wanted her to repeat the grade because dd was "so young and immature." Duh...of course she's going to seem young and immature because you also had kids that were starting the grade at age 8 (or nearly 8) while she was still 6. DD was nearly a straight A student--it wouldn't have gone over very well to tell her that her grades weren't good enough so she had to repeat. Oh, and the spacecase stuff...dd would look like she was zoning out during a lesson but then you'd ask her a question about stuff and she'd know the answer. This happened frequently because she was bored!
I completely understand...unfortuantley for us my dd's learning issues werent picked up in NJ, they were in NC however the original School picked it up but with being a new school they couldnt help her....at this point it was now 3 months into the school year, so we put into a private school for the remainder and well that was just worse....with that we had to Retain her back to 3rd so we didnt have much of a choice...Then we moved to her to a new public school in the same area where we lived and omg they did wonders with her, the school was fantastic and her teachers were terrific as well...so she is where she is and is now entering into 4th grade....We had been thru He** and back with her so I can completely understand how u feel...I hope your dd has a good year..

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Well after a 1st day of school for both kids...My son LOVES High School, had the best day of his life today. and he says he has the best teachers..My daughter had a great 1st day as well, all 3 teachers AWESOME....just wanted to report...lol

As a parent I was so happy as my son was so sick last night with worry and nerves that he was up all night last night.....and what a smile he had today...Oh and he LOVES the florida girls.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach