Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 16,591 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 23 year old female who could possibly be starting a new position at a hospital in Delray Beach. I live in Atlanta now, and while I love it here moving would be the best thing for my new career as Atlanta is saturated with people in my profession. I would be moving alone, and I do not know anyone in the general vicinity of the area. Being young and single I would prefer to live in an area with a vibrant downtown, fun nightlife and restaurants to try, and has a good mix of people in their 20-30's.

The downtown area of West Palm Beach looks nice, and I don't know anything about Ft Lauderdale except its bigger. The Delray Beach area is beautiful, but I feel it might be more of a family and retiree place. I don't mind driving to work, living in Atlanta I commute about 2.5-3 hours a day (but I really would like to only drive about 30 mins each way if possible). I imagine commuting from either WPB or FTL to Delray would be going against traffic so that's a plus.

I am just starting my career will be limited on funds for rent, and I am curious which one has a lower cost of living to be in a "fun" area. Safety is also a huge concern being a single female. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Why can't you live close to work and commute to night-life? Well, unless you plan on partying every night and drinking.

Actually Delray Beach itself has a quaint downtown, vibrant and plenty of restaurants to try, and is roughly equidistant between WPB and FTL.

Chances are that you will meet more people your own age through work or through online dating/meet-up services than through hanging out at nightspots in WPB and FTL.

Besides, what you save on gas by not commuting you can put towards your social life.

Do some forum searches on Delray Beach to learn more about its downtown lifestyle.

Also Delray Beach has some good shopping choices, and if you choose correctly you can keep costs under control.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Hi. I'm a little older 31 but live in Boca from MI. Though am moving to I have no idea where in FL. Boca of course is older. When I came to Fl in the winter and was rental shopping through the different areas what I found is with in a few miles it can go from good area to bad. So where ever you find a place I encourage you to drive around the area to see. There are parts of Delray that are nice and parts that are not and unsafe. I have heard downtown is cute and was going to look around there myself. If you don't mind commuting then WP sounds like it would fit your needs. What is your budget? When I looked in WP it seemed there were some affordable places. I have a friend he moved to that area and really likes it. It is hard I know coming from out of state and knowing the good/safe area. Even now since I am moving and am looking out of Boca I am clueless. You can PM if you want and I can try to help you. Look on craigslist and realtor.com.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM

238 posts, read 575,932 times
Isn't downtown Fort Lauderdale more vibrant and lively in the evenings then downtown West Palm Beach? That's the impression i have....and if so, and that is important to you...you may prefer the Fort Lauderdale area......

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM

522 posts, read 1,609,802 times
Look I like downtown Delray, it's quaint and has some very nice shops and good restauants. But if I were your age I would live in Ft. Lauderdale. You'll have to look around to determine which areas are safe, I'm not that familiar with it. But you will get a better deal on your rent there than in Delray. The only place a young single person would want to live in Delray is the downtown area and there are good and bad areas there. The good areas even in this economic downturn are pricey. Ft. Lauderdale has a lot of young people and a lot of nightlife. West Palm is an option but the downtown area is pretty small - I just feel Ft. Lauderdale would be more to your liking. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM

I am leaning more towards West Palm after talking to my potential boss. Traffic she says is a bit better from WPB than FTL. She also said that many other hospital employees commute from WPB. I would really like to be in downtown area at all possible. I love walking to parks, restaurants, and shops. Does anyone know anything about this location?

310 S Dixie Hwy # 3, West Palm Beach, FL, 33401 - MLS #R3048237 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/310-S-Dixie-Hwy--3_West-Palm-Beach_FL_33401_1112404352 - broken link)

or

623 Park Pl, West Palm Beach, FL, 33401 - MLS #H864314 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/623-Park-Pl_West-Palm-Beach_FL_33401_1111171617 - broken link)

I would like to keep my rent below $800. A lot of the high rise condos are about a grand and up a month which is a bit steep for me. I think both require you to park on the street. Is this a safe area to do that? I can deal with a tiny apartment, but safety is definitely important.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

522 posts, read 1,609,802 times
I am not familiar with WEst Palm other than the fact I know certain areas have a lot of crime so you have to be careful. In general, anything around Dixie HWY tends not to be good. There are several on this forum who live in West Palm and could advise you what areas to live in. If they don't respond just do a search of the forum because there have been alot of discussions about this in the past.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM

24 posts, read 99,063 times
Out of the two choices you showed, there is no doubt you should go for the 310 S Dixie one, if downtown living is your priority.

310 S Dixie is in the heart of downtown, walking distance to the bars and clubs of Clematis and CityPlace. It is also right across the street from The Whitney, a posh high rise building (meaning the area is pretty safe), above a tattoo shop and two hookah bars. You could pretty much walk anywhere without ever needing a car was it not for work.

623 Park Pl is in in a quiet area soutside (south) of downtown, so you'd need a car to get back home in the evenings, and it is in a residential area with a suburban feel. While lovely and largely safe, it is definitely a lot quieter, darker at night and less walkable.

Oh, and to add to the discussion, live in West Palm and commute to Delray, no doubt about that. While nice and with a good vibe, Delray is ultimately a small quaint town and the action is in West Palm.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Thank you so much for your input! Really appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach