Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

467 posts, read 1,485,510 times

Advertisements

You can change the inside of your unit if in a condo...I live in a four plex villa style unit...We recently
have had some problems with people leaving either for the summer or for good, foreclosure, death, etc.
and leaving their water on...In one unit the pipe burst in the wall of a connecting unit and damaged
the second unit...They had put wood floors in...well they were ruined, but instead of putting in tile they
opted to put wood in again.....Personally I wouldn't put wood floors in these units...not practical the
other problem was with a washing machine hose (again the water wasn't turned off) broke and flooded
the unit...People need to be more aware of the units next door to them and courteous..If you go away
please turn the water off to your unit. the problem not only causes damage but it can cause mold problems...Tankless water heaters I think are the way to go in the future...but they are pricey
you only heat the water as you use it....unlike the tanks that are continuously heating water.
I just had to have my water tank replaced....hard decision..but we have a maintenance contract on the
appliances so right now it didn't cost us too much to replace it..we had to pay for upgraded wiring and
plumbing. The codes have changed and you can no longer have the plug in type heater when you replace...It has to be Hot wired into the wall.....I believe the tankless models run over $1,000 and up.
guess if it were more than my husband and I living here, I may have considered it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 AM

To PBC RESIDENT....I'll look for the card from the guys who did our cabinets...I'll try and get back to you
asap.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,493,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
You can change the inside of your unit if in a condo...I live in a four plex villa style unit...We recently
have had some problems with people leaving either for the summer or for good, foreclosure, death, etc.
and leaving their water on...In one unit the pipe burst in the wall of a connecting unit and damaged
the second unit...They had put wood floors in...well they were ruined, but instead of putting in tile they
opted to put wood in again.....Personally I wouldn't put wood floors in these units...not practical the
other problem was with a washing machine hose (again the water wasn't turned off) broke and flooded
the unit...People need to be more aware of the units next door to them and courteous..If you go away
please turn the water off to your unit. the problem not only causes damage but it can cause mold problems...Tankless water heaters I think are the way to go in the future...but they are pricey
you only heat the water as you use it....unlike the tanks that are continuously heating water.
I just had to have my water tank replaced....hard decision..but we have a maintenance contract on the
appliances so right now it didn't cost us too much to replace it..we had to pay for upgraded wiring and
plumbing. The codes have changed and you can no longer have the plug in type heater when you replace...It has to be Hot wired into the wall.....I believe the tankless models run over $1,000 and up.
guess if it were more than my husband and I living here, I may have considered it....
If you have a leak from a refrigerator line, washer hose that goes for any length of time - having a tile floor WILL NOT prevent you from having damage. The water will be absorbed by you cabinets, your dry wall, your carpeting, possibly ruin your furniture - it all depends upon how long it leaks before it is noticed. If you have an apartment below you it will also reach the unit below.

In addition to the water damage - you will probably also have mold.

Condo's require pans be installed under water heaters to prevent damage if the hot water heater fails.

Tile also must be installed over cork in a condo so the noise of walking on tile with shoes (high heals) does not disturb the unit below.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Zeech, sorry it took so long to get back to you..We used Contractors Cabinet Company, they do kitchen
and bathroom cabinets...5512 W. Sample Road, Margate, Florida (Peppertree Plaza) corner of U.S. 441
and Sample Road their phone # is 954-978-3700...contact is Linda Berner.......good luck

Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM

134 posts, read 281,043 times
***MOD CUT*** If you don't know what a resurfacing is, new doors cover almost everything. Frames under the doors are covered by a thin matching veneer.

MISTAKES I MADE: 1. I chose a low-price granite installer who did the worst possible job imaginable. I am going to pay someone else to rip out the granite and start over, that is how bad it is.
2. Before you decide to replace or resurface, make VERY sure the old cabinets are OK underneath. I did not do that, and too late I found out that some of my originals were particle board and falling apart. Doug made 2 new cabinets for me for free, BUT I could not expect him to make too many. I was forced to resurface inferior bases.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 05-07-2010 at 04:50 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM

132 posts, read 228,240 times
The best advice I can give anyone regarding a home renovation is expect that it is not going to be perfect. Some stuff is worth fighting for, other stuff you just have to let go. I got dented cabinets, scratched appliances, defects here and there. I argued about the big stuff and eventually had to let some stuff go otherwise I was just going to lose my mind. When you spend a lot of money you tend to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb and if you are too vigilant it will drive you crazy.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM

132 posts, read 228,240 times
[quote=TritonFL;14066610]Zeeth,
You should not let problems such as dented cabinets and scratched appliances go unless you decided to go for the lowest bid, in which case you should expect that. Now if you went with the experienced, licensed professional company; well accidents happen but all accidents should not be swept under the carpet. They should be corrected. Just my opinion as a contractor here in Florida.

I should have been more clear, the renovation is complete, we did send back the scratched/dented product and got new ones, but it took time. It was not the contractor's fault, it was the products we chose, not the best company apparently. Be cautious of Wellborn and Frigidaire. They did take back the cabinets but the whole process took forever. Frigidaire, well at this point they are not scratched but I need a new pump and motor for my dishwasher and new door due to faulty seal. The stainless steel is pretty, the product, not so great. Live and learn.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 05-07-2010 at 04:52 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 AM

134 posts, read 281,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC Resident View Post
Delray Patty Who did you use, I am interested in doing a reface in my kitchen.
Delray Patty, I used Kitchen Tune-ups, Doug Miller. He has a web site. I am satisfied. He is very helpful. I resurfaced my cabinets. Check all of the old ones before you decide what to do. We decided that one needed to be replaced, and the others just resurfaced. However, when we pulled the stove out, we thought we should have had the cabinets next to the stove replaced too. Unknown to us, they were particle board, and were disintegrating. My husband soaked the particle board with some kind of varnish or epoxy to stabilize it. We did not want to spend much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach