Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 AM

32 posts, read 110,671 times

Advertisements

We just found out we are moving to Boca Raton - will probably be renting to start. I've been reading about the great elem schools - can someone educate me how/when you determine/test for whether your child belongs in a gifted program? We are coming from a parochial school in Baltimore where no such thing exists. We aim to move early summer and enroll for fall 2010.

Should I look for a house in a zone of one of the schools thas has a G/T program and then figure it out? I don't want to have to switch her school once she's enrolled. And of course I don't know for sure she'd qualify - I just know she's in top reading group, and her school here tends to work a grade ahead on math.

Also - if you happen to know of a good preschool for a 4 year old...(turning 4 in May)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Boca elementary choice

Anyone?
How does application/evaluation for gifted program work for new student? We'll be starting our dd in 3rd grade Fall '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestmom View Post
We just found out we are moving to Boca Raton - will probably be renting to start. I've been reading about the great elem schools - can someone educate me how/when you determine/test for whether your child belongs in a gifted program? We are coming from a parochial school in Baltimore where no such thing exists. We aim to move early summer and enroll for fall 2010.

Should I look for a house in a zone of one of the schools thas has a G/T program and then figure it out? I don't want to have to switch her school once she's enrolled. And of course I don't know for sure she'd qualify - I just know she's in top reading group, and her school here tends to work a grade ahead on math.

Also - if you happen to know of a good preschool for a 4 year old...(turning 4 in May)

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Our experience (several years ago), was that the elementary school did not accept my son's gifted designation from NJ. They wouldn't even place him in the advanced class, because they were "full", at the time. He basically lost almost a year of advancement. In the end it didn't matter, he was still ahead of his classmates once the FCAT scores came out and showed he had excelled in all categories. The next year he was moved into gifted.

The schools will do an assessment, but you will probably have to wait until she takes the FCAT and her scores are tabulated. If she doesn't stand out, she will not be tested.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
My dd moved from a private school to public in 2nd grade. She was tested while still in 1st grade and moved into the gifted program when she started public school in 2nd grade.

As for out of state, your daughter might be stuck in a non-gifted program from the end of the first grading period up until Christmas break. I know someone who had moved their family down from VA in 2008. Their eldest dd was in a gifted program there, but they had to wait for the school down here to test her in order for her to be admitted to the program. The school even tried telling them that they'd have to spend the money for their child to be privately tested. Ummm...NO! So whichever school you go to, don't let them tell you that. In the end, she ended up switching to a new school for the gifted program after just settling into a new school after having moved from VA. I didn't like that for her but she was SOOO much happier being in the gifted program.

If you wish to not have to move your child once they pass the testing, then stick with finding a place to rent in the attendance zones for either Del Prado Elementary, Waters Edge Elementary or Addison Mizner Elementary. Those are the 3 gifted centers in Boca.

As for preschools, I've heard good things about West Glades Montessori (I believe that's the name). It's located on Cain Blvd. just north of Glades Road. We were very pleased with Primary Learning Place when my daughter attended there. Also, the parochial based schools around here have excellent programs. St. Jude is one that is coming to mind.

Good luck on your search!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Great guidance

Thanks so much to both of you - very good info.

I love this website!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Thanks so much to both of you - very good info.

I love this website!
Check out Verde Elem as well for gifted and Calusa...both in Boca as well...

Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,145 times
With regard to preschools:
if your child is 4 they qualify for VPK (=state pays for 3 hrs of school/day. you cover the cost difference if you require full day).
Full day: you can't beat the price at the YMCA-Boca preschool. But register for the YMCA VPK program at the MaeVolen Center (everything is new at this ancillary site and not well known!).
Half Day(free VPK): The Childrens House Montessori Preschool. BIG thumbs up!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 42,420 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Hello--We were in a similar situation as you last year when we moved to Wellington from CT. My son was also in a parochial school in CT. We had him privately tested the summer we moved here. You can find psychiatrists who advertise "gifted testing." My son qualified so he was able to start in the gifted program right away and not wait for the school to test him after the school year started. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it cost between $200 and $300. For us it was worth it to ensure he wouldn't have to switch schools mid-year. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks to all for the add'l info. 5dubbs - I may look into the testing. Desdemona - do you know if, in hindsight, your friend would have spent some $$ for testing if she could have put her child directly into gifted?
berryjuice - Verde and Calusa have gt program as well? I did not understand it that way on PB schools website. I really would like my daughter to go to school with her neighbors. And of course, I don't even know if she will be considered gifted. She just seems to fit the profile - and I'm biased of course.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Can I ask what is the criteria to be in the gifted programs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach