U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is commuting w/train 1 1/2 hours from PBC to downtown Miami better than living in Miami & drivin
Definitely YES, even if bringing a baby or small child. 3 25.00%
Probably YES, even if bringing a baby or small child. 2 16.67%
I don't know or I can't decide either way. 3 25.00%
Probably NO, even if bringing a baby or small child. 1 8.33%
Definitely NO, even if bringing a baby or small child. 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 80,175 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm relocating; I live midway between Boca Raton & Deerfield Beach and downtown Miami. I have a few questions & would appreciate your advice.

Would it be better to move to Palm Beach County (PBC) and commute by train (about 1 1/2 hours) or try to find a place in Miami where I may have to commute by car about 40+ minutes? Right now, we're having difficulty finding a nice, safe neighborhood with affordable houses 20 years old or less in Miami. And I'm wondering if the Miami traffic will eventually get so bad that it'd take nearly as long as commuting from PBC.

While I can take the train, my husband would have to commute to North Miami Beach, but he could take the Turnpike all the way down (about an hour in rush hour). With me having to commute by train (Tri-Rail and MetroRail) and him having to commute on the Turnpike, do you think it's still worth it to move to PBC? Or, do you think it'd be better to get a not-so-good house in a not-so-good neighborhood in Miami but have a shorter commute? (If it makes a difference, we're hoping on starting a family later this year, and I'd have to commute with the baby--either in a car or on the train.)

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 29,212,315 times
Why don't you look into moving into BROWARD county. You have nice, clean, suburban neighborhoods in good school districts in Weston, Cooper City, west Davie, all within a half an hours (ok,I admit, 45 minutes during rush hour) drive to Miami. Also, nice compromise between living in Miami and PBC location wise, but just as nice as any good part of PBC. DO NOT take the metrorail, it is not very safe in the way of crime.

What is "affordable" though? If you can tell me what you can afford, I can help you out a little more.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-20-2007 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Why don't you look into moving into BROWARD county. You have nice, clean, suburban neighborhoods in good school districts in Weston, Cooper City, west Davie, all within a half an hours (ok,I admit, 45 minutes during rush hour) drive to Miami. Also, nice compromise between living in Miami and PBC location wise, but just as nice as any good part of PBC. DO NOT take the metrorail, it is not very safe in the way of crime.

What is "affordable" though? If you can tell me what you can afford, I can help you out a little more.
Thank you for your post. As for affordable, we don't want to pay much more than $250K. I've been to Davie; although I'm white (hubby is, too), I've been offended by some of the racism I've seen there by some of the city officials and locals. The college kids in Davie are really nice, but they move out after graduating. I don't know much about the other 2 towns you mentioned.

However, I'd rather be closer to Miami with a much shorter commute or go all out to a completely different environment, such as PBC. I'm commuting right now from Ft. Lauderdale, and after driving down to Golden Glades and taking the express bus or driving to a metro station and taking the train, it already takes me 45 minutes to an 1 hour to get to work and about 1 hour to 1 hour & 15 minutes to get home. Between the Tri-Rail and MetroRail, it would take about 1 hour and 30 minutes--and I plan on living close to the PBC train station so the drive there wouldn't take long.

I've ridden on MetroRail off and on for 6 years and never saw any crime, thank goodness, even at night.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,130,747 times
This might be the future for many regarless of preference....

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseward View Post
Thank you for your post. As for affordable, we don't want to pay much more than $250K. I've been to Davie; although I'm white (hubby is, too), I've been offended by some of the racism I've seen there by some of the city officials and locals. The college kids in Davie are really nice, but they move out after graduating. I don't know much about the other 2 towns you mentioned.

However, I'd rather be closer to Miami with a much shorter commute or go all out to a completely different environment, such as PBC. I'm commuting right now from Ft. Lauderdale, and after driving down to Golden Glades and taking the express bus or driving to a metro station and taking the train, it already takes me 45 minutes to an 1 hour to get to work and about 1 hour to 1 hour & 15 minutes to get home. Between the Tri-Rail and MetroRail, it would take about 1 hour and 30 minutes--and I plan on living close to the PBC train station so the drive there wouldn't take long.

I've ridden on MetroRail off and on for 6 years and never saw any crime, thank goodness, even at night.

Finding a townhome or condo is going to be tough for 250k, let alone a newer house in a clean and safe neighborhood. I honestly do not know what to reccomend down that low, there are a couple of decent older townhomes/condos in the Bonaventura area of Weston that you MAY be able to find in the 250s. As far as Weston, you do not have that air of racial tension you might experience in Davie, and the community is very wealthy and contains a large population of affulent South Americans and Ex- New Yorkers. The area is kind of pretentious (coming from an ex-nyer myself)! Unfortunately, I think Cooper City is way out of your price range, but if you were to look, expect a very white, suburban,upper middle class envrionment, but without the Davie factor. Although I do think the racism factor is greatly exaggarated in Davie I can still understand not wanting to locae there. Anyway, check out Weston, if you do not mind living in a 2 bedroom condo/townhouse and want great school possibilities! One note though, there is like no public transportation out there.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM

160 posts, read 564,228 times
It seems like it's really a question of preference. If your husband can't take the train it may be a little unfair for him to have to make the long drive from PBC everyday, but some people don't care. I think mine would fall asleep and I'd be worried everyday. =) I knew someone who took tri-rail from Jupiter to Miami, and they were fine at first, but after about a year it took a toll. They The spouse worked closer to home, so it caused some tension when kid duty fell on one person mainly simply because of the commute... With a child I'd be afraid of depending on the public transportation in Miami. If you plan on going back to work and using daycare there will be times when you need to pick the baby up that may not be convenient with the transit schedules. Unless you have a daycare in your building or within walking distance. I don't know much about Palm Beach, I just don't think I'd like to live that far away from work. There are newer neighborhoods in western Broward. It may be hard to find a SFH under 300k in those neighborhoods, but there are plenty of townhouses.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Public Transportation options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
... Anyway, check out Weston, if you do not mind living in a 2 bedroom condo/townhouse and want great school possibilities! One note though, there is like no public transportation out there.
Ooh, that's another point I forgot to mention. I prefer having public transportation options in case I don't have access to my car. When I was looking for yet another car (the hit-and-run driver on I-95 didn't stop), it was very handy to take public transportation to work. Cabs are expensive! That's why I didn't consider moving to Homestead--the houses are cheaper and pretty, but public transportation options are limited.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Commuting Stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
It seems like it's really a question of preference. If your husband can't take the train it may be a little unfair for him to have to make the long drive from PBC everyday, but some people don't care. I think mine would fall asleep and I'd be worried everyday. =) I knew someone who took tri-rail from Jupiter to Miami, and they were fine at first, but after about a year it took a toll. They The spouse worked closer to home, so it caused some tension when kid duty fell on one person mainly simply because of the commute... With a child I'd be afraid of depending on the public transportation in Miami. If you plan on going back to work and using daycare there will be times when you need to pick the baby up that may not be convenient with the transit schedules. Unless you have a daycare in your building or within walking distance. ...
You bring up some good points. I have infant and child daycare at my worksite, so picking him or her up at a moment's notice wouldn't be a problem. (This option is one of the reasons I'm staying with my job.) My husband really likes Boca Raton, and says that the hour drive wouldn't bother him, especially since he doesn't like where we're living now.

There is a possibility of work opening up for us both in PBC, but we won't rely on that possibility to make our decision.

I am worried about commuting taking a toll. With the way the housing market is now, I guess that once we buy, we'd have to stay put for a number of years before we could sell and move, yes? So, I really do appreciate everyone's advice in helping us make this big decision. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseward View Post
Ooh, that's another point I forgot to mention. I prefer having public transportation options in case I don't have access to my car. When I was looking for yet another car (the hit-and-run driver on I-95 didn't stop), it was very handy to take public transportation to work. Cabs are expensive! That's why I didn't consider moving to Homestead--the houses are cheaper and pretty, but public transportation options are limited.
Do NOT move to Homestead, that place is a miserable hell. Honestly, I would not be afraid of moving to Davie, since at least the bus system is active there and plenty of condo/townhomes in similar price range with good quality schools. The politics there are a bit wild west, but it is not so horrible there and Davie is actually attracting a growing Asian and upper class Hispanic population. Come and check out Weston, though, it is just as nice as ANYTHING in PBC, in fact a little nicer because there is less crime and congestion!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Out of curiosity, where are you living now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach