Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 22,529 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer West Palm Beach or Tampa Fl? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,433 times
HA. we're debating between Boca vs. St Pete/Tampa. Both are so appealing. But schools are (presumably) better in South Fla / Boca. Several trips and family have moved to St Pete/ Tampa and are extremely happy, fyi.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,529 times
That's cool! I think I'm going to start researching the local schools in both of those areas and compare them to other areas of interest.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM

203 posts, read 596,760 times
I find both areas to be really different from one another and I prefer south Florida. It has a more "tropical" feel to it and everyone has easier access to the ocean. I also prefer condos and townhouses over single homes which south Florida has about a billion different communities to choose from. Most of the Tampa/St. Pete area seems to be small ranch homes. Sarasota is my favorite area around Tampa. One thing I like the Tampa area for is it has a much more laid back feel while south Florida is much more cosmo. Also, south Florida is a completely mixed area with people from all over the world. All the people who make their way to the U.S. from the different Carribean islands, the Bahamas and South America like to settle in south Florida.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
boca/west palm beach more tropical feel and more diverse

Less southern feel

tampa/st pete still feel Southern!!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessme31 View Post
Which city would you prefer West Palm Beach or Tampa Fl? Why?
Tampa has way more stuff to do, it is a real city. There are also much nicer beaches and parks around it. An hour north or so you can see more forest. Sarasota/Bradenton is close and is very nice. Also more professional jobs.

The beaches in Palm beach - Juno allows dogs and they are all over you. West Palm beach charges for parking on its beach. Virtually no professional jobs to speak of, unless you are a lawyer or doctor.

WPB has lots of money and it shows.

My $.02

Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I disagree with most of what this guy said. Tampa is a real city? Not really. No more-so than West Palm. Tampa is a large suburbia with a small downtown. It is very decentralized, and lacks any type of cosmopolitan feel. Neither city is hustling/bustling. Neither is a "real city" by world standards. Miami is the only "real city" in FL. The rest of FL is a huge suburbia.

Nicer beaches? Are you joking? Tampa beaches are the worst in FL aside from the Keys. Those beaches are yucky, over-crowded, and not as accessible as Palm Beach County beaches. Clearwater beach is yucky and is roped off 20 feet out into the water. St. Pete Beach has very limited parking and is all high-rises blocking the access points.

In West Palm, you can go to Juno, Jupiter, Boynton, Singer Island, etc. There are nice public beach parks at each of those areas. Also, the beaches themselves are much nicer, less crowded, and have more beach as they have been dredged in recent years. Also, Jupiter inlet and the intracoastal are awsome places for water-recreation activities.

Sarasota/Bradenton are 1.5 hours away from Tampa. If you are going to include those cities, then I may as well throw in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Vero Beach along with West Palm. In that case, West Palm wins again. The nicest beaches in FL are Destin/Ft. Walton Beach, and the 2nd nicest beaches are Fort Myers/Naples/Sanibel/Marco Island.

In terms of jobs, I agree with you. I think its a stretch to say West Palm has "no jobs". It depends on your field. Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater has a larger metro-area so naturally there are more jobs. But I wouldn't exactly call Tampa a job-mecca of America. In West Palm, you can commute to Ft. Lauderdale if necessary for jobs, although that is not desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Tampa has way more stuff to do, it is a real city. There are also much nicer beaches and parks around it. An hour north or so you can see more forest. Sarasota/Bradenton is close and is very nice. Also more professional jobs.

The beaches in Palm beach - Juno allows dogs and they are all over you. West Palm beach charges for parking on its beach. Virtually no professional jobs to speak of, unless you are a lawyer or doctor.

WPB has lots of money and it shows.

My $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach