Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 PM

15 posts, read 43,471 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at a couple properties in Colonnade in Boca Raton. It seems to be a nice family oriented community and one of the few NON-Gated communities that are in the Spanish River High school boundaries with homes in the 4000sf range. I am considering making an offer on a home in this neighborhood and would love to get some feedback.

Do you feel the neighborhood is less valuable because it is non-gated? I am not a pretentious or materialistic person. I am only looking for the best investment for my money as well as a HOME for my family. We have five children and need a minimum of 3800 sf.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods? My 2 older girls are going to FAU and I have one high schooler, a first grader and a 16 month old. I would so love to find a family friendly neighborhood in this SRH school area where the people are friendly.

Last edited by kirstenmarieg; 07-21-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenmarieg View Post
Hi, I am looking at a couple properties in Colonnade in Boca Raton. It seems to be a nice family oriented community and one of the few NON-Gated communities that are in the Spanish River High school boundaries with homes in the 4000sf range. I am considering making an offer on a home in this neighborhood and would love to get some feedback.

Do you feel the neighborhood is less valuable because it is non-gated? I am not a pretentious or materialistic person. I am only looking for the best investment for my money as well as a HOME for my family. We have five children and need a minimum of 3800 sf.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods? My 2 older girls are going to FAU and I have one high schooler, a first grader and a 16 month old. I would so love to find a family friendly neighborhood in this SRH school area where the people are friendly.
You are already in the right area: almost all of the subsections along the St. Andrew's corridor, including Mills Pond, Timbercreek, Colonnade, Boca Lakes, Boca Madeira, Strathmore and New Floresta, are adequate as you describe, but for the size house you are looking for you should probably focus on Colonnade, New Floresta and maybe also Mills Pond and Boca Lakes.

These neighborhoods are not less valuable because they are non-gated and they have held up relatively well since September 2008 when the financial crisis first broke out in full force, especially New Floresta and Colonnade. Expect to pay from around $200 to $165 per square foot.

Having said that, there is the gated community Les Jardins with million-dollar homes, also Santa Barbara but whose values are comparable with those of New Floresta and Colonnade, for example.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
If your not opposed to gated Santa Barbara is beautiful and active also would be what you are looking for..Our son attends Spanish River HS and he loves the school..He has a few friends in Colonnade I will tell you the value's have gone down everywhere in boca I would have your realtor pull comps from recent sales over the last 6 months to gage your offer..I will say you are in the right place...As far as a development goes depending on what you pay for the home and how long you will be living there will determine if it holds its value..But if you plan on staying for a long time then you will be fine and you certainly cant go wrong in the Spanish River District..

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback! Swimmom, I am not opposed to gated, I am just having a hard time finding a gated neighborhood with the size home I need that doesn't have a huge "equity" payment attached to it. I would actually prefer gated for a security stand point, but I don't want to pay for a club that I will never use just to be in the neighborhood. The home prices in Santa Barbara are very attractive, but I didn't see anything in the size range available at the moment. I have until December until my lease here in Weston runs out, so if nothing clicks from now til then, perhaps something will become available.

Thank you so much for your help! Kirsten

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes I would not rush into buying something then, there are gated communities that are not just country club..I get what your saying trust me...I would Check Santa Barbara from time to time, I would also check Woodfield Hunt Club these are NOT country club communites the Preserve, Newport Bay Club (very nice) and NOT country club either Spanish River district and is In Boca...I think you still have quiet a few options..

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Also look at the Banyans Broken Sound this is NOT part of the Country Club so there arent any Equity Fees just HOA fees since they have their own ammenities its also Gated..Boca Bath and Tennis is also Gated and Not a Country Club..although Not alot of Turn Over in this one..Seasons is another community u might find with the sq footage you need...also not a country club and gated..

I hope this helps

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea how much this has helped me. Sorting through the neighborhoods is just so overwhelming. My husband works on Las Olas and we need to be within 20-23 miles of the office and we initially were looking in Parkland East and Weston, but both areas are great for the younger kids, but my two oldest girls are so bored and both are just too much of a commute to the beach. I love that Town Center Mall! Private schools are just not in our budget with five daughters, LOL so we have to be where the schools are A rated and this area really fits the bill!

Thanks again! Kirsten

Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM

kristin we are right there with you..we too choose Boca over Weston and Parkland for our reasons as well..We love it here, we are renting for the time being in no rush to buy as I feel prices wont be going up too much in the next few years..Private schools werent an option for us and in the same boat as you..Although I only have 2 kids..lol 15.5 yr old boy who will be a sophmore and my daughter is 11.5...You will be happy with the schools here...Im glad I was able to help knowing that u have a little time to look who knows what will come up in the next few months!!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,654,687 times
Thank you for the information here. We're looking in the area too.

Can't wait to move!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Your Love it Mr T we do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach