Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times

Advertisements

Thousand Oaks:

Can you provide me with some information on this community? It is located in Riviera Bch (off of Congress). I used to work in Riviera beach so I know this city fairly well. A former coworker/friend had plans of purchasing a home in the area. I recently found out she did, in fact, purchase the home against everyones advice. I no longer work in the area but I shop there from time to time (there's a Kohl's, Target, Walmart, Kmart, LAFitness, Lowes along that Congress Ave. corridor).

From what I understand, these communities were built as a revitalization project (?) or something along those lines. Some of the townhomes sold for as much as 300k, by homeowners and investors. Today- you can find many of those same communities selling at 70-130k. Some of them are now section 8 rentals, too.

I wanted to drive through the community and check it out for myself, but we were stopped at the gate. Apparantly, the gates are manned. So.... is this a 'bad' community or not? Gates rarely mean much, but based on the information (or misinformation) I've been getting about this place, I wasn't expecting it to be a gated community.

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
The whole revitalization went down the tubes when the market crashed.
I have a client short selling his townhome in there (for a quarter of what he paid for it) because his fiance won't live their anymore because she's scared of some of the other residents. It's too bad too because it's a very nice place that is loaded with upgrades. I know someone else in there who's had a an attempted break in.
There's definitely other townhome communities that might work about a little better.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 AM

232 posts, read 773,362 times
I looked in there as well because of the incredible prices. I decided to drive around the neighborhood at night. Just driving a block away made my decision NOT to even look at the houses. It's really a pity because the houses are nice and appear to be well built. With that said it could be a good investment in renting one of those units out.

The gates are manned. Apprently there were problems with the gate gaurd a couple of years ago but that has been straightened out.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 9,206 times
i use to live there in 08" and it was fine. No problems whatsoever. The place was upgraded and it was a great place to live. I am not sure how it is today, but back in 08, it was a reasonable place to reside.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM

229 posts, read 533,857 times
What was located on that land before this community was built? Was it empty land or were older neighborhoods demolished to make room for Thousand Oaks (as well as the other few random gated communities in the city, like Woodbine?)?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,287 times
Default Safe & Secure

We live there now and it is very safe. Police patrol constantly and the gate is manned 24 hours a day. The whole complex is well looked after and has resort like amenities (pool, gym, tennis). The problems were cleaned up 5+ years ago when the gate wasn't manned and gate passes were being passed around. My wife has no problem taking the dog out after dark.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM

499 posts, read 586,222 times
Thousand Oaks looks like a really nice gated community. Unfortunately, the schools don't rate too highly. Although I think Riviera Beach may be an up and coming area. A $375 million dollar mixed-use development project at the Marina is expected to revitalize and transform the area. It will include shops, restaurants, a boardwalk promenade, larger beach area and a new, two-story Riviera Beach Event Center with a roof-top terrace. Groundbreaking is in April. Sounds like a nice boon for the area.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 PM

232 posts, read 773,362 times
Interesting news. Below is a link to the project. I think that Jeb Bush blocked a deal in the mid 2000's because of the eminent domain proposal.

Local News | Palm Beach County Commercial Real Estate

Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,017 times
I was wondering how does it looks Thousand Oaks to live now? I've been there trying to get a home, looks like a nice place, opinions

Old 05-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Cft

1 posts, read 3,821 times
Any new updates regarding the safety of this community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach