Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
City Place is NOT surrounded by slums. Check your facts, maybe by actually having been there.

Tamarind Ave. is pretty far from City Place. The only reason anyone would "venture" over to Tamerind Ave is to catch the train or to look for trouble. Every city in the world has an area to stay out of unless you are looking for trouble.

St. Tropez is beautiful and fun but at night there are places and areas I would never go into.

Get the picture?
Tamarind Ave. is close to City Place, it's just west before the RR tracks, but your right the bad part of Tamarind is further north. Hopefully the new Curfew law will cut back on the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Tamarind Ave. is close to City Place, it's just west before the RR tracks, but your right the bad part of Tamarind is further north. Hopefully the new Curfew law will cut back on the crime.
I know exactly where Tamerind is, but would anyone "venture" the almost half a mile from City Place to go there, there is nothing there except a train track. It is west of City Place but not "just west" as a tourist you wouldn't just find yourself on Tamerind Ave. if ou were hanging out at City Place.

I'm just trying to clarify, not to argue but to make it clear that West Palm Beach is as safe as any medium size city and doesn't deserve the bashing it gets from some malcontents on this forum.

Stats, stats,stats that's all I hear. Anyone who is educated knows that stats can be made to look any way you want them to. The fact is that most murders in the area and around the world are criminals killing criminals.

I grew up in NYC in the sixties and seventies. THAT was crime. This is paridise.

Watch ....now.... I'll get mugged tonight

Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Quote:
I know exactly where Tamerind is, but would anyone "venture" the almost half a mile from City Place to go there, there is nothing there except a train track. It is west of City Place but not "just west" as a tourist you wouldn't just find yourself on Tamerind Ave. if ou were hanging out at City Place.

I'm just trying to clarify, not to argue but to make it clear that West Palm Beach is as safe as any medium size city and doesn't deserve the bashing it gets from some malcontents on this forum.

Stats, stats,stats that's all I hear. Anyone who is educated knows that stats can be made to look any way you want them to. The fact is that most murders in the area and around the world are criminals killing criminals.

I grew up in NYC in the sixties and seventies. THAT was crime. This is paridise.

I think you are wearing rose colored glasses. West Palm crime is really nasty, and random people DO get shot in front of city place over 40 dollar robberies. The city is even considering placing security cameras that detect gunshots to bring some much-needed safety to West Palm Beach. West Palm is one of the most out of control cities in the nation.

Before you go on your "Fort Lauderdale has crime too" rant, I think I should add that in Fort Lauderdale the crime is at least truly concentrated into certain neighborhoods like most core cities and it's not really above your garden variety type crimes, unlike in WPB, where things are becoming barbaric, especially in it's youth.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times
Quote:

Like I said, that part of Tamarind isn't the bad part. It's much further north past Banyan. It's easy to make a wrong turn if you don't know where you going, since if coming from the west you have to cross Tamarind to get downtown.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I think you are wearing rose colored glasses. West Palm crime is really nasty, and random people DO get shot in front of city place over 40 dollar robberies. The city is even considering placing security cameras that detect gunshots to bring some much-needed safety to West Palm Beach. West Palm is one of the most out of control cities in the nation.

Before you go on your "Fort Lauderdale has crime too" rant, I think I should add that in Fort Lauderdale the crime is at least truly concentrated into certain neighborhoods like most core cities and it's not really above your garden variety type crimes, unlike in WPB, where things are becoming barbaric, especially in it's youth.
You are not telling the whole story. There is a difference, you have the City of West Palm Beach where CityPlace is, then there is unincorporated West Palm Beach which is more suburban. The City of West Palm Beach is having a real hard time handling the criminal element and yes it is pretty bad. However, Unincorporated West Palm Beach (west of Military Trail) has some really nice old and new developments. There are some very nice family freindly communities and the schools are pretty good as well. I am a transplant from New York and have lived in suburban West Palm Beach for 13 years. Do your research, because as this post shows everyone has their own opinion about what is acceptable and what isn't. Only the following things are true 1. taxes are ridiculously high and 2. insurance is out of control. The only thing that would make me leave is if those two things keep going up and living here becomes unaffordable.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed2605 View Post
You are not telling the whole story. There is a difference, you have the City of West Palm Beach where CityPlace is, then there is unincorporated West Palm Beach which is more suburban. The City of West Palm Beach is having a real hard time handling the criminal element and yes it is pretty bad. However, Unincorporated West Palm Beach (west of Military Trail) has some really nice old and new developments. There are some very nice family freindly communities and the schools are pretty good as well. I am a transplant from New York and have lived in suburban West Palm Beach for 13 years. Do your research, because as this post shows everyone has their own opinion about what is acceptable and what isn't. Only the following things are true 1. taxes are ridiculously high and 2. insurance is out of control. The only thing that would make me leave is if those two things keep going up and living here becomes unaffordable.
Oh, I like almost all of PBC west of Military Trail, except for a couple pockets here and there. I was really just speaking for the incorporated city of WPB. The only thing I don't like about the areas west would be the pretentiousness.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Like I said, that part of Tamarind isn't the bad part. It's much further north past Banyan. It's easy to make a wrong turn if you don't know where you going, since if coming from the west you have to cross Tamarind to get downtown.

I agree! I often walk my dog down around the Kravis Center and along Tamarind to Fern. I wouldn't go past Banyan on Tamarind, but there's nothing worth going down that way for anyway, so no big deal!

The area immediately around Cityplace is actually not ghetto. It's abandoned. I admit it can sometimes be a bit creepy late at night, though, because the real estate bust has halted redevelopment plans leaving large empty lots and old abandoned homes that look like they once were quite presentable. Right next to my building are some abandoned houses that are boarded up that the fire department uses to train in (it's actually kinda cool). Still though, Banyan is the dividing line for the ghetto, for now.

I don't think West Palm is all bad. Anything between I-95 and the turnpike I would avoid, however. West of the Turnpike, and almost anything East of I-95SOUTH of Banyan are actually pretty nice areas. The historic neighborhoods have a lot of charm, and so long as the residents can continue to keep the riff raff from surging in, they'll be fine.

Just remember folks that downtown is an urban area. It's NOT going to be as safe as Littletown Idaho! If you want to raise a family, there are many other options in and around Palm Beach County!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I agree! I often walk my dog down around the Kravis Center and along Tamarind to Fern. I wouldn't go past Banyan on Tamarind, but there's nothing worth going down that way for anyway, so no big deal!

The area immediately around Cityplace is actually not ghetto. It's abandoned. I admit it can sometimes be a bit creepy late at night, though, because the real estate bust has halted redevelopment plans leaving large empty lots and old abandoned homes that look like they once were quite presentable. Right next to my building are some abandoned houses that are boarded up that the fire department uses to train in (it's actually kinda cool). Still though, Banyan is the dividing line for the ghetto, for now.

I don't think West Palm is all bad. Anything between I-95 and the turnpike I would avoid, however. West of the Turnpike, and almost anything East of I-95SOUTH of Banyan are actually pretty nice areas. The historic neighborhoods have a lot of charm, and so long as the residents can continue to keep the riff raff from surging in, they'll be fine.

Just remember folks that downtown is an urban area. It's NOT going to be as safe as Littletown Idaho! If you want to raise a family, there are many other options in and around Palm Beach County!
I tried to give you reps but they said I give you too many.

I must agree with a lot you say

I O U

By the way I agree with this post.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 53,361 times
Excuse me... I must have lost my Mapquest skills from all those martinis I drank at the Blue Martini in City Place.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 PM

25 posts, read 187,196 times
I would suggest either Tequesta, Jupiter, Juno Beach, or Palm Beach Gardens. Those are the safest places to live IMO and really gorgeous. Yes, it's a little more expensive but other parts of Palm Beach County are crowded, crowded, crowded and have a good amount of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach