U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM

239 posts, read 431,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymccamper View Post
Dear Newbie, if you remotely feel this way or are in anyway shape or form like this NYrker please stay out of Florida. Living in SoFlo now the diversity is nice the latin community, islanders, other transfers, the only bad part are the New Yorkers that talk and feel like this! We do not need anymore! Its thee only immigration I am really concerned about is allowing more snotty NY's here spoiling our paradise! (Please note I am talking about those specific whiny, complainy, nothing is good enough for me NYC'ers, not all people from New York)
not sure why you referred this back to me, the newbie. Did you assume that all people from ny feel thisway? quite a few million of us here, i hardly think we all think that way.

?

I would not be posting my questions here then. would i?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,405,591 times
LOL...i couldnt figure it out either...and we are from NY as well...

Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM

195 posts, read 558,771 times
My response is more in regards to what UrbanSFL had mentioned in their post. I am just mentioning if you feel the way they do, then please do not make thee huge trek down here. As in my note, I am not by any means grouping all New Yorkers together. But there are a handful down here, one that seems to be presenting themselves on here UrbanSFL, where nothing seems good enough or everything is awful. Or they are in a hurry to push you out of the way to get somewhere first, no matter if you are carting a child and your hands are full of bags. Again this has just been my experience living in SoFlo, maybe I need to meet more NY'rs....maybe I have just met a bad crop....

Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM

239 posts, read 431,059 times
I'm here asking questions, for information. I"m in no way making judgements........ any one?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM

623 posts, read 1,157,266 times
Default LOL I thought it was me too! ??? What does that reply even mean?

Can't figure that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
LOL...i couldnt figure it out either...and we are from NY as well...

Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,892,467 times
The economy in South Florida is just different from the economy in the NY area, you can't compare them. Most people are retired or older and there are very few major local businesses in PBC, so there is not a constant flow of wealth like you see in a major urban area. There are few entry-level jobs or good paying jobs for people in their 20's and 30's in South Florida, so a lot of young people move to more urban areas for jobs (like I did) but you can say that about most parts of the US that are not busy urban areas.

If you can get a good paying job in PBC and you enjoy living there, it is a pretty good place to raise kids and to enjoy more relaxed weather than more Northern areas. I wouldn't want to live there at this point in my life, I find it too sprawly and boring, but I always enjoy going back there because it's relaxing and quiet and it sure beats the winter weather here in Northern California.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM

436 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Where are the more walkable and less sprawly communities? I'm very interested.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,892,467 times
- downtown Lake Worth
- downtown Delray Beach
- Worth Avenue on Palm Beach (it's a ridiculously deluxe area, like all of Palm Beach but it's fun to wander around there on foot)

Abacoa in Jupiter, CityPlace in WPB and the Mizner Square area in Boca are newer areas that were purposely built to be walkable, since they're new they don't have that old town feel but they are definitely an improvement on the endless suburban sprawl. Clematis is kind of similar because it's a lot of new businesses that only opened in the last 10-15 years, but I've heard it has hit hard times again. Downtown Lake Worth about 15 years ago was pretty dumpy and abandoned but since then a lot of new places have opened up and it's thriving again.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
- downtown Lake Worth
- downtown Delray Beach
- Worth Avenue on Palm Beach (it's a ridiculously deluxe area, like all of Palm Beach but it's fun to wander around there on foot)

Abacoa in Jupiter, CityPlace in WPB and the Mizner Square area in Boca are newer areas that were purposely built to be walkable, since they're new they don't have that old town feel but they are definitely an improvement on the endless suburban sprawl. Clematis is kind of similar because it's a lot of new businesses that only opened in the last 10-15 years, but I've heard it has hit hard times again. Downtown Lake Worth about 15 years ago was pretty dumpy and abandoned but since then a lot of new places have opened up and it's thriving again.

You omitted almost the entire south end of West Palm Beach .... good neighborhoods walkable to the corner store, intracoastal, restaurants, diners, etc.

Between Okeechobee Blvd. and Belvedere Road, East of Parker, and Between Belvedere Road and the Lake Worth borderline, East of Dixie.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM

436 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
- downtown Lake Worth
- downtown Delray Beach

I've heard Lake Worth has major problems with violence (and the statistics seem to support that claim). Is it all sketchy and somewhere I wouldn't be safe to walk around at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach