U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM

239 posts, read 431,259 times

Advertisements

move. Husband and I work from home and are fed up with city life since we've had the kids.

We live in Manhattan and are looking to relocate to palm beach area since family would not be far away and the schools seem pretty great.

I know this ? has probably been asked so many times, where would you suggest we start? boca, wellington, pb gardens, wpb or jupiter?

we like to see 'people'. As much as we need to leave NYcity, we don't want to be in a desolate area where no one walks or bikes. Is there any place like this?

thank u in advance! the board seems great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,414,917 times
I would start with boca and Jupiter....Jupiter has very good schools, as does Boca we love Boca and the schools and our choice was Jupiter....

good luck to you

Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 PM

239 posts, read 431,259 times
Thank you smimmom. Whereabouts are you in Jupiter? Is there a downtown , shop, eat restaurant feel there?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1007 View Post
Thank you smimmom. Whereabouts are you in Jupiter? Is there a downtown , shop, eat restaurant feel there?
we live in Boca and love it...we are in Central boca..We know a few people that live in Jupiter its very family friendly it was just too far for us and dh's commute

my family is in Hillsboro beach and my parents are snowbirds...and they rent in boca for the winter

Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,895,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1007 View Post
we like to see 'people'. As much as we need to leave NYcity, we don't want to be in a desolate area where no one walks or bikes. Is there any place like this?
Well you're not going to find a lot of places like that especially in PBC. PBC is mainly suburban sprawl. It is painfully hot most of the year so people don't really walk or bike much. Indoor malls are the main place where people walk outside of their homes. Other than malls, most stores are big box stores or strip malls. Most of Florida is like this but you see more walkable areas in parts of Florida that are further north, like parts of Orlando as well as downtown Winter Park. I'm not saying that PBC is horrible, I'm just warning you that the suburban sprawl and driving everywhere passes as normal in PBC.

Downtown Lake Worth is pretty walkable and has a lot of mom and pop stores and good restaurants, and is a nice place to wander around at night. Public schools in Lake Worth aren't very good though, but you could always live somewhere else and drive to LW whenever you feel like it.

There are some other places like CityPlace in WPB and Abacoa in Jupiter and parts of Boca that were built in the last 10-15 years and were built to be denser and more walkable commercial areas, but I find they feel kind of tacky compared with a real urban neighborhood from a big city. Check them out though, you might like these areas.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM

7 posts, read 23,483 times
we live in West Boca and we love it...we are near the turnpilke and close to a huge Mall..we are wanting to move however, as we want a bigger house with more privacy... I dont really want to leave Boca, but afer 10 years maybe its time for a change. goodluck

Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 36,611 times
You are making a huge mistake, especially if you are planning on starting a family. I moved from a NYC suburb to Boca as a teenager. After college I went back up north for grad school, and I'm thankful for that decision every day. I just wish I did it sooner.

I appreciate community and street life as well (people walking, biking). There is none of it in South Florida. It is the epitome of suburban sprawl. Gated communities with cookie cutter homes keeps street life to a minimum. You need a car to get anywhere, anyway. Couple that with the constant, oppressive heat and humidity, and the streets are empty. It is very, very, isolating.

If you live in Manhattan it is likely that you and/or your husband are educated professionals. It's also likely that your friends fall in to the same category. You'll quickly see that South Florida is quite the opposite. There are educated professionals, especially in Boca, but they're the exception, not the rule. The business community here is a joke. Wall Street it ain't. South Florida isn't a major financial market; it doesn't have any major, white collar industry. Higher education here is a joke, too. You won't find Columbia, Princeton, or Cornell.

Unemployment is far higher than the national average. The jobs that ARE around are, by and large, ****ty compared to what's available in NY. Less "career" oriented and more "just a job". Less large companies, less career focused people, etc.

The public schools in Boca may be alright, but that doesn't mean much. They still funnel kids in to ****ty Florida colleges, which traps them in the Florida job market. My successful Florida friends (the ones with good careers) got the hell out of Florida. I did the same. This feeds the cycle; the best and the brightest get the hell out. What does that leave Florida with?

And the rest of Florida is by and large a backwater, redneck, podunk cesspool.

Please don't raise a family here. Your children will regret it. Move to a NYC suburb.

Last edited by UrbanSFL; 11-15-2010 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 AM

Funny the standards here in college are pretty tough now..Even FAU doesnt just let anyone in as I know 1st hand after speaking with them...I have a teen and we are from brooklyn and he grew up in NJ loves it here and loves his school his classes etc...quite a few kids that he knows have been accepted into Princeton,Yale and Johnson and whales however a few of them decided on UF...Your comments are a bit broad, and maybe florida wasnt for you, doesnt mean it wont work for other people..I also have a pre-teen and neither one of the WOULD ever leave florida...this was the best move for us...Boca sespool? and Redneck?? I dont know where u lived in Boca but wow are u off base

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,780,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSFL View Post
You are making a huge mistake, especially if you are planning on starting a family. I moved from a NYC suburb to Boca as a teenager. After college I went back up north for grad school, and I'm thankful for that decision every day. I just wish I did it sooner.

I appreciate community and street life as well (people walking, biking). There is none of it in South Florida. It is the epitome of suburban sprawl. Gated communities with cookie cutter homes keeps street life to a minimum. You need a car to get anywhere, anyway. Couple that with the constant, oppressive heat and humidity, and the streets are empty. It is very, very, isolating.

If you live in Manhattan it is likely that you and/or your husband are educated professionals. It's also likely that your friends fall in to the same category. You'll quickly see that South Florida is quite the opposite. There are educated professionals, especially in Boca, but they're the exception, not the rule. The business community here is a joke. Wall Street it ain't. South Florida isn't a major financial market; it doesn't have any major, white collar industry. Higher education here is a joke, too. You won't find Columbia, Princeton, or Cornell.

Unemployment is far higher than the national average. The jobs that ARE around are, by and large, ****ty compared to what's available in NY. Less "career" oriented and more "just a job". Less large companies, less career focused people, etc.

The public schools in Boca may be alright, but that doesn't mean much. They still funnel kids in to ****ty Florida colleges, which traps them in the Florida job market. My successful Florida friends (the ones with good careers) got the hell out of Florida. I did the same. This feeds the cycle; the best and the brightest get the hell out. What does that leave Florida with?

Please don't raise a family here. Your children will regret it. Move to a NYC suburb.

Oh give me a break. The NE professional snobbery from the tri-state area is ridiculous. A lot of the time, arrogance substitutes for true talent.

If you're a professional, you have your work colleagues, professional associations and organizations, and other players in your industry to socialize with if you're looking for "high brow educated friendships."

In my particular field I make it a point to NOT socialize too much with people within my profession (don't want to talk about serious business stuff all the time, now do we?), and have still managed to cultivate diverse friendships and associations.

You call yourself "UrbanSFL" but appear to have very little knowledge of the urban, walkable and non-planned communities in South Florida.

"Cookie cutter gated communities" are a staple of a lot of "Western" South Florida, but huge swaths of coastal S. Florida are not. Probably the majority. And, in the end, people don't move to S. Florida to find "NY with palm trees." Just as if they'd be stupid to move from their tidy gated community to Brooklyn and hope to have "the same" life.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 AM

195 posts, read 558,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSFL View Post

Dear Newbie, if you remotely feel this way or are in anyway shape or form like this NYrker please stay out of Florida. Living in SoFlo now the diversity is nice the latin community, islanders, other transfers, the only bad part are the New Yorkers that talk and feel like this! We do not need anymore! Its thee only immigration I am really concerned about is allowing more snotty NY's here spoiling our paradise! (Please note I am talking about those specific whiny, complainy, nothing is good enough for me NYC'ers, not all people from New York)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach