Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM

623 posts, read 1,302,949 times

Advertisements

and have family there so it's on my radar, but still searching for work there.

But I am wondering about public schools in Tampa, that's my concern as I have small children.

I have no doubt now there are very good public schools in Boca as well as Palm beach areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Lol, he was probably an ex-realtor in the area...
That's funny! Unfortunately, it is also true. My best friend is a realtor in Florida and she is REALLY struggling and has been for years!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
There are a lot of schemes and frauds in S FL, I'm not picking on the place, I'm just saying. So just beware of someone you may think is homeless or someone asking for money, assistance, etc.
Very true!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I grew up in Palm Beach County, first in Lake Worth then my family moved to Wellington. I went to college in Sarasota, worked for about 8 months in Orlando, then moved to Chicago for a year and a half, then moved to San Francisco where I lived for 6 years before moving recently across the Bay to Oakland. The NICE part of Oakland, don't go getting any ideas.

The main reason I left Florida was that the economy just does not work at all for young people who are just out of college. It's hard to get a job of any kind, especially somewhere like Palm Beach County where the economy is centered around tourists and retirees. There's just retail jobs and some tourism jobs and the usual stuff like government workers, but none of the jobs really pay well. Anyone with money in PBC made it somewhere else and now that they've moved to PBC they don't want to spend a lot (other than on their homes) so you don't really get a vibrant economy like you'd see in a major urban area. And there's just not that much to do if you're under the age of 50. Going to the beach and sitting around on the porch reading are ok now and then, but every single day? Eh... I kind of miss some stuff about Florida that you don't get in Northern California, like being able to wear shorts and flip-flops every day, and having abundant opportunities to go swimming, and good Atlantic fish. But I don't miss the constantly hot weather or the endless suburban sprawl.

I get annoyed with the Bay Area sometimes, it can too cold there for my liking (like right now) although at least it doesn't get hot all the time. People can be flaky and it's hard to make friends or hang out with people because either they have long commutes that exhaust them, or they work too much, or they are just flaky and want to act like they have more important things to do than hang out with you. But there is always a lot to do compared with PBC, and there are way more jobs and incomes for young people are way better. Right now I think I'd like to move to NYC for a while but I'm putting that on hold until the economy there looks better since I'd have to basically move across the US and look for a job...I did this in Chicago and SF and it worked out ok but the economy wasn't as bad as it is now.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar
The main reason I left Florida was that the economy just does not work at all for young people who are just out of college. It's hard to get a job of any kind, especially somewhere like Palm Beach County where the economy is centered around tourists and retirees.
Depends on what you went to school for, really, and please do not over-generalize.

I am 28, moved to West Palm when I was 24 after grad school, but grew up on the Treasure Coast. I have found the area adequate and exceeding my expectations. I have a professional job, all of my friends have job in a variety of fields, from finance to law, to retail management, to insurance, to computers, to government.

Quote:
There's just retail jobs and some tourism jobs and the usual stuff like government workers, but none of the jobs really pay well. Anyone with money in PBC made it somewhere else and now that they've moved to PBC they don't want to spend a lot (other than on their homes) so you don't really get a vibrant economy like you'd see in a major urban area.
Of course, those without in demand skills for the area will not have it so easy. Medical, law, etc. are still in good demand. But, you are right, this is not New York. If someone needs a job where they can walk in with their random liberal arts degree with a concentration in ancient greek, the bigger cities might have more of a demand for that kind of work.

That's why people considering the area should have a job secured FIRST. The economy is not like it was, and won't be for a while. They are trying very hard to diversify the economy and attract new businesses and growth, and there are signs that the lowered cost of living post-real estate boom are encouraging national companies to consider expanding or relocating into the area.

Quote:
And there's just not that much to do if you're under the age of 50. Going to the beach and sitting around on the porch reading are ok now and then, but every single day?
What do you generally do in Oakland that you cannot do in greater metro S. Fla, or even West Palm Beach? There's "more," yes, because there are an exponential amount more people. But there are plenty of bars, restaurants, clubs, music clubs, concert halls, performing arts centers, water sports, shopping, festivals, markets, museums, theaters, etc. etc. Pretty much anything most working people need or have time for.

Quote:
Eh... I kind of miss some stuff about Florida that you don't get in Northern California, like being able to wear shorts and flip-flops every day, and having abundant opportunities to go swimming, and good Atlantic fish. But I don't miss the constantly hot weather or the endless suburban sprawl.
If you don't want to live in the sprawly parts of FLorida, then don't live in the sprawly parts of Florida! If I wanted to, I could go a month or more without ever venturing east of I-95 into sprawl land.

Quote:
But there is always a lot to do compared with PBC, and there are way more jobs and incomes for young people are way better. Right now I think I'd like to move to NYC for a while but I'm putting that on hold until the economy there looks better since I'd have to basically move across the US and look for a job...I did this in Chicago and SF and it worked out ok but the economy wasn't as bad as it is now.

Um, yeah. Palm Beach County is not New York or Chicago. That's one of the reasons why people move here. To get away from that. There are many late twenties, early thirties NY transplants in my firm who grew tired of living in cramped quarters for a whole lotta money.

If you want "big city" life, you move to a "big city." However, I have found that West Palm Beach is like a big small town, giving me everything I need for daily living, enough entertainment venues in my backyard or within an hour drive to keep me satiated, natural beauty and parks galore. I have also been able to purchase a home that I would never have been able to touch something comparable in San Fran.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Well either you like PBC or not. I think it's a good place to raise kids or to retire but other than that it is just too quiet for me. Most "cultural" stuff is centered around older people, it's not centered around people who are 70-plus anymore, now it's more centered around people in their 40's to 60's. Food is definitely better though in South Florida, it used to be all fast food, now it's a lot more sit-down places with good cooking and at good prices. If you have a degree that is in demand then of course you can get a job pretty much anywhere including in South Florida, but for a lot of people it's going to be harder in a more suburban place like PBC.

In Oakland or SF I can get to work within 30 minutes by public transit, ride my bike anywhere year-round, go to a wide variety of restaurants within walking distance of my place, and it's not 92 degrees most of the year. It's not perfect and I would like to move to a different state when the economy turns around, but I'll take it over South Florida. I like visiting PBC a lot, it's very relaxing and usually nice and warm in the late fall and winter, but I just wouldn't want to live there year-round.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM

I knew someone from Boston who said, "The coldest summer I ever spent was my summer in SF!" Don't get me wrong, SF is beautiful and has so much to offer! Visited there MANY times! But it is off the charts expensive and personally I HATE the weather - it's never warm enough for me. But to each his own!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM

South Florida's economy is so scary bad! I get it! So is southern Cali and LA. About the only really decent places for the economy now are cities in TX and the DC area - where the economy really never gets that bad because of all the gov workers, military, and politicians moving in and out. As far as culture goes, I did feel a lack of that in south Florida - I grew up in St. Louis and feel as a city it has a ton of culture! But it also has really crappy weather! And I do think some of these preferences are age-related. I'm 56, not retired completely, still need to work but can't find a job. But I also don't have the same needs or wants I did when I was younger. I remember pouring pots of boiling water on the doorlocks of my car one New Years Eve in STL so I could get in after a snow and ice storm and drive to a party - you do that stuff in your 20's. Not in your 50's.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I was just wondering what those of you have left south Florida feel about where you live now? I left 6 months ago after living there for 6 years and miss it so bad!!! I am currently living in Louisville, KY and just frankly hate it! No place is perfect, but south Florida is so beautiful and if you like a tropical climate I just don't know who anyone adjusts to something else! I know south Florida is expensive, full of con artists and alot of rude people, but really, there are other things that can be worse - like a horrible climate, backward people who couldn't be con artists if they tried because they aren't savy enough, and people who honestly don't like outsiders and are polite but hardly friendly. Just wondering what some of you others think and how you are adjusting to your life outside Florida??
We are thinking of moving to Orlando (yeah I know its still fl) due to job promos but the thougtht of leaving on Condo on the water in West Palm Beach is killing us, that and the fact we love the water and recently joined the freedom yacht club, I think we will miss South Fl (west palm beach) bad.

Money is great but you got to be happy where you live....the only thing that is looking up we were both told don't buy a house because you will not be in Orlando long.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
our friends have axed Orlando area off their list and I will leave it at that...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach