U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM

368 posts, read 881,410 times

Advertisements

My husband told me not to do this since we already made an offer on this townhome (we'd never heard of making an offer to rent before, coming from NJ!) but we saw an awesome 2-story townhome, 2400 square feet on the border of Delray Beach and Boynton Beach. The zip code is 33426. We've heard that Boynton Beach can be dicey (but not as bad as an area in East Delray that we saw yesterday) but the worst I can say about this area is that it's nondescript. Doctor's offices, modern industrial complexes, and then the townhome complex plopped in the middle of nowhere with a huge park behind it called Caloosa Park? We drove around a lot and saw a nice mix of people and nothing that indicated anything unsafe to the park (no one hanging around that shouldn't've been). There was a nice bike trial, baseball field, and community pool. Just 5 minutes down the road is Boynton Beach blvd with the Barnes & Noble, Target, Old Navy, Publix etc.

We would've liked to stick with Coral Springs and Coconut Creek but our 50-pound sweetheart of a staff terrier/boxer mix is restricting our searches there. We coudn't get into Renaissance Commons townhomes for that reason because of the HOA on "vicious" breeds. I don't want to start a debate about vicious breeds -- we just know our dog is well-trained since I have a 6-month-old son and 2-year-old niece who tries to climb our dog to ride her. We've focused on single family homes but there not nearly as nice in general as the newly constructed townhomes that have all the new appliances, fresh carpets, all tile, etc.

Any feedback about this area would be great before we're locked in!

Rachel

Last edited by Razz2525; 07-10-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,502,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
My husband told me not to do this since we already made an offer on this townhome (we'd never heard of making an offer to rent before, coming from NJ!) but we saw an awesome 2-story townhome, 2400 square feet on the border of Delray Beach and Boynton Beach. The address is 155 Nottingham Place, Boynton Beach 33426 and the complex is called Carriage Pointe. We've heard that Boynton Beach can be dicey (but not as bad as an area in Coral Springs we saw yesterday) but the worst I can say about this area is that it's nondescript. Doctor's offices, modern industrial complexes, and then the townhome complex plopped in the middle of nowhere with a huge park behind it called Caloosa Park? We drove around a lot and saw a nice mix of people and nothing that indicated anything unsafe to the park (no one hanging around that shouldn't've been). There was a nice bike trial, baseball field, and community pool. Just 5 minutes down the road is Boynton Beach blvd with the Barnes & Noble, Target, Old Navy, Publix etc.

We would've liked to stick with Coral Springs and Coconut Creek but our 50-pound sweetheart of a staff terrier/boxer mix is restricting our searches there. We coudn't get into Renaissance Commons townhomes for that reason because of the HOA on "vicious" breeds. I don't want to start a debate about vicious breeds -- we just know our dog is well-trained since I have a 6-month-old son and 2-year-old niece who tries to climb our dog to ride her. We've focused on single family homes but there not nearly as nice in general as the newly constructed townhomes that have all the new appliances, fresh carpets, all tile, etc.

Rachel
Are you sure you were in Coral Springs? . Boynton Beach doesn't look bad, but it's the only place I have seen active gang members with my own eyes in South Florida (Wendys on Boynton Beach Blvd-Ms-13 guys vandalizing a bathroom).

That is an ok area. Pretty nondescript, but not really a dangerous area at all. I would look into west Boca, but if the price is right, go for it!

About Delray being dangerous, a lot of the bad is super hidden. That is the problem with Palm Beach County. People drive around, and see how pretty it looks. Then people settle in, and they start seeing the problems once their settled (like my aunt). Broward usually looks bad if it is bad. That area is not too bad though,just bland, and if the property meets your needs, thats not a bad choice.

Overall, I would really recommend locating in Boca or Coral Springs, though. I think I responded to your previous post, and it is really more what you are looking for, and much,much safer.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 AM

216 posts, read 793,170 times
You could always call the local police station and ask them about a specific area. I've always found that helpful.

They keep police blotters that detail the crime. I did this when my daughter went away to college and opted to live off campus after her first year in a dorm. They told me where to avoid, what parts of town got more crime, etc.

I repeated this with my younger daughter. Same results. I found them to be very helpful.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,309,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
My husband told me not to do this since we already made an offer on this townhome (we'd never heard of making an offer to rent before, coming from NJ!) but we saw an awesome 2-story townhome, 2400 square feet on the border of Delray Beach and Boynton Beach. The zip code is 33426. We've heard that Boynton Beach can be dicey (but not as bad as an area in East Delray that we saw yesterday) but the worst I can say about this area is that it's nondescript. Doctor's offices, modern industrial complexes, and then the townhome complex plopped in the middle of nowhere with a huge park behind it called Caloosa Park? We drove around a lot and saw a nice mix of people and nothing that indicated anything unsafe to the park (no one hanging around that shouldn't've been). There was a nice bike trial, baseball field, and community pool. Just 5 minutes down the road is Boynton Beach blvd with the Barnes & Noble, Target, Old Navy, Publix etc.

Rachel
You will probably have more problems with Old People at Publix and also driving on the road then with the Gang Bangers in Boynton, they are there and the Boynton Beach Mall is nothing special use to be a decent place years ago but now it's turning into the Palm Beach Mall. Boynton and Delray have a very large retirement population. Some areas are better then others, but problems exist. There was an attempted car jacking by two thugs a few months ago in Boynton at the Longhorn Parking lot, then the infamous shooting at the mall. Just avoid the Cherry Hill section in Boynton. As well avoid downtown Delray at late at night, even on Atlantic Avenue people are getting robbed as of late. Use commonsense. The further west you are the safer it is, also keep in mind the school system for your kids.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 20,088 times
There are good & bad in every neighborhood. We just bought in Delray and are extremely happy there. Our neighbors are warm & friendly, the beaches are clean & beautiful. Atlantic ave is adorable for warm night strolls. What else can we ask for!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM

44,478 posts, read 39,964,286 times
oops need coffee wrong thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>