Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM

23 posts, read 56,645 times

Advertisements

from NC middle of next year. We don't know anyone down there, so looking for advice on areas to live. We'll likely rent for a few months first to get our feet wet anyway before we buy. Hubby will be working in the Boynton area, so we don't want to live too far of a commute away. Our son is 1, so school systems are an issue. Any suggestions on where we want to look would be appreciated. We're taking our first trip down to look around this weekend - very excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Well I lived in Boynton last year and it was a fairly pleasant experience besides our crappy house rental. I loved it! I lived in West Boynton. The only place you want to live. I lived a walk from the Boynton Beach Mall. Very nice mall btw. What I love about Boynton is that it has that South Floridian style. Nearly everywhere the lawn is clipped, watered, and manicured down to the last itty bitty detail. People pay out the wazoo for landscaping. Every restaurant, every store, just nicely landscaped. Which I LOVE. I love seeing green wherever I go. Now just be honest, the city's rep ain't that great. Boynton is known by alot of folk in Palm Beach County as ghetto. It's not the city that's ghetto however. It's the attitudes of lower income people. The culture of some folk living there. But as a person who lived there and experienced the culture, Boynton was not as bad as Miami or Fort Lauderdale by a long shot. And the crime is usually concentrated on the east side of town. The West side is the safest and nicest. And if you don't hang out with thugs and bums, nothing would happen to you. Boynton has alot of great restaurants and shopping centers. LOTS of caribbean nationalities here! You GOT to try some Haitian food or some Jamaican while your there. We also have plenty of puerto-rican restaurants, cuban, dominican, italian, german, and polish too!! There's so much to Boynton. I know your going to have a good time. Just act normal and you'll be okay! Good luck!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
"West Boynton" has the best schools and reputation. Western Lake Worth, right next door, is also another option.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
Default Moving to Boynton Beach

I helped my young adult niece move from rural Virginia to West Boynton in July and she loves living and working there. It's a very pretty area. So glad we didn't listen to some of the negative talk about the area.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

522 posts, read 1,609,802 times
I agree, west Boynton is very nice. One thing I disagree about is the mall there, never liked Boynton Beach Mall. But Boca's Town Center Mall is not that far and is very nice. Good luck to you!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Most of Palm Beach County is within a 30 minute drive to Boynton so you really have a lot of options. All depends on your budget and lifestyle.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM

24 posts, read 69,977 times
I'm a native Floridian who has been living in the Boynton area for the past 11 years. You would have to give us a little more info about what you might me looking for, but in my opinion, the more "family friendly" areas and better schools are in the western parts of the city. You may want to look in Lake Charleston, Journey's End, Smith Farms or my community (Lakeview Estates). The two elementary schools zoned for this area are very good. There is plenty of shopping and other conveniences but it's not as "trafficky" as the area near the Boynton Beach Mall. I noticed you mentioned that you were moving from NC - I may be moving TO NC next year - maybe we can help each other!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all of the great info! I'm not sure what kind of price range we're looking at, mainly because I have no idea how the change in income will mesh with the tax situation in FL. We're planning to rent for a few months just to get a good idea of what our take home pay will be. I want to stay home with our son, so I don't want to overextend ourselves on the mortgage (not to mention we have to make sure our house sells here first). I'm thinking we're looking south of 250k, and the farther south we stay the happier I'll be. I definitely want a family friendly neighborhood where I can feel good taking walks with the stroller and the dogs without worrying about too much traffic.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 PM

And Godskid 316 - I'd love to help out, however we live in a pretty rural area of NC. I do have some working knowledge of some of the more urban areas, so let me know what area of NC you're looking at and I might be able to help some.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 18,471 times
hi I am considering moving to west boynton area in a couple of months. I understand that it could be a nice place to live. I have two chidren that will attend elementary school there. Any recommendations? I ave read that sunset elementary is A rated..along with the middle school..i believe. What about high school, will i have to opt for a private institution? I really like the new construction homes like equus or canyon springs, they offer a lot of property for a great price, but i also have concerns about my children"s educational success. any thoughts are appreciated! thanks!
oh..i am moving from the new york metro area..if that helps!v
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach