U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,411,197 times

Advertisements

I dont disagree..I know if we could buy right now we would...we always bought in a high market as we are from NY but lived in NJ for 10 years and then NC for 2...and here 18 months it took us 12 years to get here as this was the only place we wanted to live but u know its called life..lol

I was just thinking of lower costs in a condo than opposed to a home but I dont know for sure that in the end it would make much of a difference...either way just weigh your options, get a really good realtor and at least start looking and see whats out there..

Good Luck
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 PM

74 posts, read 311,730 times
My father bought in Boca Pointe about 25 years ago and now my brother bought a condo there so in a sense I grew up there and now when i visit I bring my 3 girls. In the old days it was filled with old grumpy people who got upset at you when you splashed in the pool. Now it seems a bit more laid back though the past few times I've visited (which is usually holiday times) the pools were empty???? They also were thinking about closing the grill by the pool on the athletic side which was a really nice perk. They have nice holiday events for kids at xmas and some music by the pool. The tennis courts are nice and well maintained as well as the pools. The locker rooms are very beautiful and nice amenities. I am only there on vacation times, though my dad who's been a member for 20+ years enjoys it, the food in the clubhouse etc... good luck.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM

48 posts, read 142,463 times
llong...thank you very much for the reply.

I'm really glad you weighed in. I have a ton of questions for you if you don't mind. Not in any particular order?

1) Do you find that there are more younger families (40+ yrs) now compared to before?
2) Why are they thinking of closing the grill?
3) Besides the athletic club what is there to do?
4) See the going prices in that area now, do you think overall it's a good long term investment?
5) What other amenities are there outside of the community.

I know this seems like a game of 20 questions and you may not have all the answers but I'm just trying to get some outside opinions to help me decide what to do.

Again I really appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM

I can tell you Kid from a friend of mine I asked there are not a tremendous amount of families our age although more younger people are moving in, which is why we were re-thinking about renting at Boca Point..We found a Fabulous Rental but when I went to look the other day it seemed much older than what we were looking for..As far as amenities go outside of the development super target is about 2 miles and across from Boca Point is a Shopping Center with the Outback Steakhouse, Ice Cream Place, Chinese Place, Bagel Place..then across from that is another small shopping center with a Huge Liquor Store and Sushi Place and I'm not sure what else is in there...Carrabas is also down the road...you will be on the border of Deerfield Beach and there is alot of shopping there too...and u will also be close to Powerline Rd and about 4-5 miles there is more eating and shopping...and this gorgeous Publix they just re-did wow is all I can say...again you will not be living there for a long time during the year so I would contact a realtor and start asking for Comps that is the only True way you will know if its a good investment or not...Being in Real Estate Myself for so many years I dont really feel that "people" outside of the profession know what the market will withstand..With that being said keep in mind that its difficult with this economy to know what is going to happen with the real estate market here I can tell u from people I know that are realtors "the bottom hasnt been seen yet and homes will still be going down a little bit" so I know for us we are waiting a few more years to see what it does...I dont think the prices will be going up tremendously in the years to come...Your situation is a bit different than mine...

Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Well it sounds like there a bunch of stores/restaurants nearby, so that won't be a problem.

As for the older crowd, unfortunately (for the aging population) it won't be long before younger couples start moving in. Actually perhaps by that time we won't be considering ourselves young anymore! :-)

It's the investment that I'm really agonizing over. I could possible rent a nice place each year for the times we go away (2-3 weeks/year) without any of the expenses but in the end I'm left with nothing OR I could buy a place like boca pointe spend about 10k each year on maintenance+tax+other and possibly have a growing investment (from my understanding not the next 5 years) later down the road....

I would agree with you on the waiting situation. Economists are forecasting any change in Florida for the next five years. So on one hand I'm in no real rush to find something.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,776,205 times
I have to chime in here! 5 years I bought a vacation home in the Blue Ridge Mountains that I intended to use for holidays and the summer....far more than 2-3 weeks a year. Owning a 2nd home is a HUGE responsibility, even if it's a condo. You need to keep an eye on your property. Think about it....who is going to put up hurricane shutters if a hurricane is predicted? A few years ago we had 7 storms in 1 season. Maintenence on a condo (or any home w/ an association) only goes up. You won't qualify for homestead exemption and taxes and insurance really adds up when you aren't even there to enjoy it. I have a close friend at BP and every couple of years there are assessments that can be thousands of dollars. A few years ago they voted on making the club membership mandatory and it was voted down. The reason they wanted it was the expense of maintaining a golf course country club. If few people belong the club goes down the tubes along w/ the value of the homes around it. Prices are NOT expected to rise anytime soon....I fell in love w/ the mountains and made my vacation home my primary residence, I rented my Fl home. For 2-3 weeks a year, imo, rent a gorgeous place on the beach and do your homework! Look on websites, there are ALOT of rentals available at BP. We got into the hosuing mess by looking at real estate as an investment, I think we have all learned the lesson to see it as a HOME! Prices eventually will rise but, the property is aging. W/ so many expenses involved, it just doesn't seem worth it. Why not find a 2nd home closer to where you live that you can enjoy EVERY weekend???? JMO!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I have to chime in here! 5 years I bought a vacation home in the Blue Ridge Mountains that I intended to use for holidays and the summer....far more than 2-3 weeks a year. Owning a 2nd home is a HUGE responsibility, even if it's a condo. You need to keep an eye on your property. Think about it....who is going to put up hurricane shutters if a hurricane is predicted? A few years ago we had 7 storms in 1 season. Maintenence on a condo (or any home w/ an association) only goes up. You won't qualify for homestead exemption and taxes and insurance really adds up when you aren't even there to enjoy it. I have a close friend at BP and every couple of years there are assessments that can be thousands of dollars. A few years ago they voted on making the club membership mandatory and it was voted down. The reason they wanted it was the expense of maintaining a golf course country club. If few people belong the club goes down the tubes along w/ the value of the homes around it. Prices are NOT expected to rise anytime soon....I fell in love w/ the mountains and made my vacation home my primary residence, I rented my Fl home. For 2-3 weeks a year, imo, rent a gorgeous place on the beach and do your homework! Look on websites, there are ALOT of rentals available at BP. We got into the hosuing mess by looking at real estate as an investment, I think we have all learned the lesson to see it as a HOME! Prices eventually will rise but, the property is aging. W/ so many expenses involved, it just doesn't seem worth it. Why not find a 2nd home closer to where you live that you can enjoy EVERY weekend???? JMO!
I totally agree and boy can one find a beautiful place to rent for that time on the Beach

Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Very poignant. You make some very good points that are all true. My ultimate goal is to retire as a snowbird but I just didn't want to miss the boat on entering this market while prices are low. However I'm not delusional, I do understand the expenses that go along with owning a property and that's why I'm agonizing over what my heart wants and what my head is telling me.

I think I'm going to listen to my head and stay out of it for now.

Thank you for chiming in...you too swimmom.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Your welcome Never give up your dream though...if its not now it will be at one point!! Happy Holiday's

Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,776,205 times
Why not consider the option of finding a place at these fantastic prices and renting it long term....but that way you can't throw your tenant out for 2-3 weeks a year....at least you will own your 'dream house' and some of your expenses (hopefully) will be covered. Just a thought! Good luck! Happy Holidays to all from the Blue Ridge Mountains which look like a Winter Wonderland today!!!! WHEEEE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach