Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM

29 posts, read 175,622 times

Advertisements

I did some Googling and found out that Africanized bees/ killer bees have reached South Florida, including Palm Beach county and West Palm Beach.
Question is, how much of a problem are they? I'm moving to WPB next month.
I hope its extremely rare and hope they're not nearly as much of a problem as they are in the south western United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,803 times
Hi, I lived in S. Fla for 27 years, of those 10 in West Palm Beach. I have never heard of ANY cases of Killer Bees attacking anyone or any animals. I don't think there are any in that region but if there are, they certainly aren't making headlines. So put your mind at ease! I wouldn't worry about them. :-)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 24,380 times
I patrol the county parks, and have for 10 years. No killer bees. Have had one bees nest removed last year. Could have been Africanized, but doubt it. We have dozens of parks, some quite large.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, that's encouraging to hear.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Yet, they HAVE spread to south Florida

Watch this video
When Animals Strike : Bees That Kill : Video : Animal Planet

@ 1:09 you see they've reached Florida....

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM

http://blogs.discovery.com/environmental/images/2008/05/28/habitat_suitability_4.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,331 times
Ummmm...I have lived here in PBC for over 20yrs and could count the bees that I have ever seen here on both of my hands.....

Don't worry another millisecond about bees in Palm Beach! I'd say you're more likely to see an elephant walking down I-95 than to have an African killer bee sting you. OMG!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,700 times
I have had Italian honey bees in my Tampa Oak Tree for 30 years. Last year I noted different and unhappy behavior and that I now had africanized bees. I hit them with Roach spray one night and they were history But then they came back and Poison does not seem to deter them now and they seem to be coming from another source too as I seem to kill all at night but next day there are 100's again. I hit the cavity with a can of foam and filled it. Now there is a swarm on the tree. I will hit them with spray each night till they are gone. I miss my friendly hard working Italian bees who were like pets and never stung once in 30 years even when i was a half inch away from them with my video camera. My Italians were in serious colony collapse when the africans took over. They were flying at the house windows and the light at night and I would find dozens dead under the windows in the morning.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
This is an old post but I was very intereested in the convo about African bees. I have had them in my yard in central Florida and it is not something to be scoffed at. They can be dangerous and are very aggressive. They will chase you and you best get out of the way.

There was a study I saw a while back that indicated there were signs that African bees were mating with our milder honey bee and it SEEMED those colonies were a little more tame in their personalities. I hope so. I like bees in my yard.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 AM

16,903 posts, read 16,114,481 times
There have been plenty of incidents of the Africanized bees here in south Florida. I believe that people that do not scour the news on a daily basis are much less likely to know about them and what a serious problem they are, here included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach