Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM

232 posts, read 773,271 times

Advertisements

I just got a ticket from the town of Juno Beach for going through a red light. It WAS yellow just as I got to the intersection and turned red. They even show it on video.

Anyone have experience with these? I called my lawyer and he wouldnt touch it -said it wouldnt go towards insurance points.

Last edited by FloridaHawkeye; 01-07-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,302 times
If the camera shows that the car had ample time to stop after the driver saw the yellow light, you will probably lose your case in court. Florida law reads that if you see a yellow light, you must stop if you can. There is a minimum amount of time that a yellow light must be lit before turning red. This time depends on the speed limit where the light is located. If you believe that the yellow light duration was too short, take a stop watch to the intersection and time the yellow light duration, 5 consecutive times. If it is too short, take the data to court with you and challenge the ticket. It would be nice if signs were posted before cars get to a camera intalled intersection, so drivers can be particulary diligent to stopping if a light is on yellow. In defence of the cameras, I do think they reduce redlight running which has become epidemic in Florida. Drivers need to pay attention. If you are coming up on an intersection to which there is an extensive line of sight, you should know if the green has been on for awhile and it probably will be turning red very soon.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,061 times
You got hit with the infamous red light camera, a number of them are around here. They don't stop anything and regardless what the law says about yellow lights, most people here blow through them and red lights all the time.

Think of this when your paying your bill, I see PBSO flying down Forest Hill or 441 at high rates of speed all the time, not in pursuit just driving fast and changing lanes because they are the law. Also FHP flying down the turnpike doing 90 to 100 just to get home because the shift is over.

Just pay the bill and move on, call it a donation if it makes you feel better. Not worth fighting.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,161 times
Talking Get More Of Them

I am sure this well not be a favorable response......but I would put Red Light Cameras at every major intersection...and at every accident prone location......within every major city throughout the states......just sit at anyone of those locations during rush hour...holiday season...snowbird season...and count the cars/drivers that just have to go through the red light just so they can get where ever they are going 30 seconds faster...or just count the one's that see the yellow and speed up to go through the intersection...

Now imagine your mother/father or even worse your child trying to cross the street and being trapped on a traffic island or even worse struck by one of those vehicles that just have to go through the light......or perhaps they are driving...see the green light and start to move...only to be struck by you or someone else that just had to go through the light......

As far as the fines...perhaps the first should be only a notice that you should be more careful...and the next a small fine...and with each notice after that an increasing fine...how high would it have to go before you realized it is cheaper to stop......

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
WOWie, I didn't know this~! Thanks for the info. I was there in August and I just drove the speed limit and stopped a lot at all lights. This is good to know since I plan to come back once again to your area.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,128 times
Red light campaign foiled by own photos

Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,145 times
Traffic cameras are corporately owned, and maintained.

If you pay a ticket, the corporation gets a percentage.

The corporation is a party to the action.

All parties to an action must be present for a fair hearing.

Ask the judge these questions:

Am I allowed a fair trial?

Am I able to cross examine all parties of this action?

Are all parties of this action present in court?

What about the camera owner?

Case dismissed.

Just like when an ticketing officer does not show.

Tadah!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I am sure this well not be a favorable response......but I would put Red Light Cameras at every major intersection...and at every accident prone location......within every major city throughout the states......just sit at anyone of those locations during rush hour...holiday season...snowbird season...and count the cars/drivers that just have to go through the red light just so they can get where ever they are going 30 seconds faster...or just count the one's that see the yellow and speed up to go through the intersection...

Now imagine your mother/father or even worse your child trying to cross the street and being trapped on a traffic island or even worse struck by one of those vehicles that just have to go through the light......or perhaps they are driving...see the green light and start to move...only to be struck by you or someone else that just had to go through the light......

As far as the fines...perhaps the first should be only a notice that you should be more careful...and the next a small fine...and with each notice after that an increasing fine...how high would it have to go before you realized it is cheaper to stop......
Your argument for more red light cameras appeals to emotion and unfortunately is not backed by logic or statistics. If a PROVEN method for making intersections safer for "the children" or "the elderly" were proposed, most would be all for it. However, traffic cameras have been proven over and over to be nothing more than a money racket that has no effect on safety. Take them all down.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,732 times
I just received "lovely" pictures and a "penalty" fine for turning right on red in a right turn lane in the Town of Juno Beach! The first picture shows my brake lights and that I did stop. I thought we could turn right on red here in Florida.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

232 posts, read 773,271 times
In deciding to wait - the time to pay the fine directly to the city/corporation expired. Palm Beach County now held the ticket. My lawyer said he does not touch these and recommended paying the ticket because no points are earned. This was confirmed when I paid the ticket but it would still be on my record.

So here are the choices

1. Pay the 150 fine ticket that is sent via the camera. There is no points and more importantly no record.
2. Let the ticket expire and go through palm beach and handle. If you contest the ticket you will need to hire a lawyer and pay him/her. The ticket price goes up another hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach