U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM

74 posts, read 311,622 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a silly question, but where do the kids play? I live in upstate NY and when the weather is nice I send the kids out in the front or backyard (we own an acre)to run around. I was down in Florida last week and saw a father and his 3 kids playing soccer in the street and he put up cones so the cars would go around him? Do you have to drive to get to open space for the kids? I know this sounds silly, but with 3 kids I don't want to have to put them in a car to goto a park for some run around time. What's your experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,759,735 times
I grew up in a suburban Florida "bedroom community" on a house on a standard quarter acre lot. We played in the front yard, the backyard, and in the street (quiet, suburban residential). We also played in the woods and vacant lots and at local parks. We were always outside, and this wasn't so long ago (mid and early 90s)

There are communities with larger lots and acreage available if you still want that kind of space.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,891,844 times
Front yard, back yard, friends' houses, in the pool in the backyard, inside playing video games etc, if there's a park nearby they can go there if you think it's safe, etc. Same as anywhere else.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM

272 posts, read 835,960 times
My kids played in front/back yard, street, community park, friend's houses, beach.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM

26 posts, read 51,512 times
I'm from upstate NY as well. We lived on over an acre of land and had all kinds of wooded areas to play in. Tons of parks to walk to... Totally different here. I have two toddlers and hate that they will not have the same kind of wilderness adventures I had. You have to drive to parks, unfortunately. Unless you live in a development that has one in walking distance. We're having a house built now and there's no yard to speak of. Just enough room for a swingset, playhouse and pool. Other than that, they'll be walking to the community clubhouse to play at that park.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,521,269 times
When I had small children living in my home, my top priority was living in a neighborhood with sidewalks. For a long time new home developments stopped putting in sidewalks but they are making a comeback in neighborhoods hoping to attact families. You aren't going to find very much "wilderness" in Palm Beach County where children can safely play. In the wild trees and bushes in Florida tend to not be kid friendly and there are reptile and insect creatures that you may not want your children to encounter. The beaches are beautiful though and many children's parks have been created which are very nice.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 AM

623 posts, read 1,157,194 times
I second that. Neighborhood with sidewalks. Very top of the list.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM

46 posts, read 152,199 times
We live in a suburban, middle-class, gated community. Our kids play in the backyard, which is fenced since we live on a lake. We also happen to live only about 5 houses away from our community recreation area which has a playground, pool, soccer field, etc. The kids can go play down there, too, but I have to go w/ them. They are only 7 and 5. I wouldn't let them play outside out of my eyesight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach