U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

We are a family with two small children from europe. My husband is an Italian attorney and I am from Sweden, we have been living outside Tampa (in apollo beach) for nearly 3 years but are thinking to move somewhere else. We do believe it is a little rural here and we are missing a bit of the european lifestyle. If we stay in the westcoast I believe our choise will be Sarasota, but we are considering moving to the east coast like to Boca Raton, wpb or even up north. But we do not know what to expect in the other coast, is it a little bit more "chic", are there more things going on. Please give us some advice? Regard Sarasota (will it be some difference from Tampa and Apollo Beach?) or should we just change coast?
Important to us is good schools, nice dining and nice people around.

Many regards
Sarah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM

623 posts, read 1,205,587 times
Default Similar here. Hands

down we are going with Boca. We even consider Miami (parts of ) at times, but we're just so impressed with the public schools in Boca.

That's just us though.

GL

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 AM

8,551 posts, read 12,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbonta View Post

... we are missing a bit of the European lifestyle. ... we are considering moving to the east coast like to Boca Raton, WPB or even up north. ... is it a little bit more "chic", are there more things going on?

Important to us is good schools, nice dining, and nice people around.
Boca Raton offers good private schools and acceptable public schools - but so do the better neighborhoods of Miami -, nice dining - but so do most other places -, and nice people around.

Your best bet in Boca for a more European lifestyle is east Boca in or near the Mizner Park area, zipcode 33432, though the better private and public schools are in central Boca.

Mizner Park offers a real piazza, Italian-Spanish style, walkable and with fountains, a museum, cultural events, dining, coffee shops, and generally nice people, even an international mix.

But it and the immediate area are really tiny compared to the rest of the surroundings which quickly become typical US suburban.

The better parts of Miami, such as Brickell and Coral Gables, offer what the Mizner Park area of Boca offers times ten, maybe a hundred, though at much higher population density, more pressure, and culturally Latin American dominated, with some traces of European lifestyle and even some actual Europeans.

WPB offers the City Place area and Clematis Street, you can do a sub-forum search for details on those areas, but, again very tiny compared to the immediate surroundings.

Further up north on the east coast you will probably be worse off than in Tampa or Sarasota, unless you mean the US northeast corridor, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Boston.

Good Luck!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM

19 posts, read 62,504 times
I am British but have lived in Luxembourg for many years and therefore consider myself a European.
I have a daughter living in Tequesta zip code 33469. She has just moved from Jupiter to be closer to her son's school.
My grandson aged 5 goes to The Good Shepherd in Tequesta.
Jupiter Tequesta Elementary & Early Learning - Good Shepherd School
My daughter loves this school and so do I.
When I visit her (once a year in April/May) I find I enjoy the general Palm Beach Gardens area for its shopping and restaurants.
I have visited the gulf coast but as a European this while a very nice area is a long way from a European feel.
As you know well the USA is a foreign land and nothing is as European as Europe.
If you can describe in more detail what European things you are looking for I would be happy to help.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks, as you say USA will never be as euopean as Europe, but sometimes we have heard that the eastcoast is very different from the westcoast. Where we are living today in Apollo Beach its not much going on and even though we are living in a very nice community the areas around are not so nice. We are looking for a place that have a little of everything (without being a big city) and a nice place to raise children. Sarasota seems to be having it all, but before deciding moving to Sarasota we would like to understand if maybe the eastcoast suits us better regarding the lifestyle we are looking for. I look forward to more advice!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,289,100 times
I grew up in Palm Beach County and went to college in Sarasota. Honestly there's not much of a difference between the west and east coast of Florida. Both are very suburban with a few somewhat urban centers here and there, and both have a lot of "snowbirds" from up north that come down only in winter.

I would say Sarasota is kind of like Boca in that parts are wealthy but overall it's pretty suburban. I haven't spent a lot of time in the Tampa area but I'd say the Sarasota area is wealthier than the Tampa area, especially on the barrier islands like around St. Armand's Circle. But the rest of Sarasota is pretty suburban and middle class. But it isn't really connected to the Southern culture you get in the areas near Tampa and Orlando--you don't get this sort of Southern culture at all in the PBC/Broward/Miami areas either. I haven't been to Sarasota in years and maybe it's better now but downtown Sarasota is kind of dumpy but there are some nice cheap places to eat there.

The city of Palm Beach I guess is very European, maybe like the Riviera or Monaco, lots of wealthy Europeans, but it's very tiny and very expensive. Outside of the city of Palm Beach the rest of PBC is pretty suburban and middle class though Boca is pretty wealthy.

You might find what you're looking for in the Miami area which is just a lot bigger and has a lot more variety than the PBC or Sarasota or Tampa areas. Lots of Europeans and people from the Caribbean there.

I would take a trip to Boca and Palm Beach and see how you like it then check out Miami and see how you feel about those areas compared with Sarasota.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,236,260 times
We are leaving the west coast TODAY to look at real estate in Boca Raton.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Wow really, how interesting. Why do you think the eastcoast is nicer for you and why boca raton?
thanks,

Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,606 times
I am an American who has lived in Rome for many years. My husband is Italian and we are considering relocating to Tampa. Are there many, or any, Italian transplants in that area? We are hoping to meet up with other Italians who are investing in Florida.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM

585 posts, read 933,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfplux View Post
I am British but have lived in Luxembourg for many years and therefore consider myself a European.
I have a daughter living in Tequesta zip code 33469. She has just moved from Jupiter to be closer to her son's school.
My grandson aged 5 goes to The Good Shepherd in Tequesta.
Jupiter Tequesta Elementary & Early Learning - Good Shepherd School
My daughter loves this school and so do I.
When I visit her (once a year in April/May) I find I enjoy the general Palm Beach Gardens area for its shopping and restaurants.
I have visited the gulf coast but as a European this while a very nice area is a long way from a European feel.
As you know well the USA is a foreign land and nothing is as European as Europe.
If you can describe in more detail what European things you are looking for I would be happy to help.
I thought you would be European anyway because you are British, not just because you lived in Luxembourg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach