Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 AM

51 posts, read 98,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home in Palm Beach County with a pool. Coming from the Northeast, in the summer we have lots of mosquitos. I noticed in Palm Beach County there are quite a few homes without cages which really surprised me.

I would think that the mosquitos and love bugs would be real annoying, for those f you that do not have pool cages, do you wish that you did. Is it a major problem?

If it's not a major problem, that would open up my search to more homes. I would be very interested in opinions on caged and no-cage pools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM

70 posts, read 222,143 times
I don't have a cage and haven't seen any pools in my area that have a cage. There are mosquitos at dusk but we have a zapper and it doesn't seem to be a big problem...

Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
We call them screens or at least we did when I was growing up in PBC--"screened- in pools."

Screened-in pools had a reputation for not warming up as much from the sun because they block some of the rays. So a lot of people with screens would have pool heaters which would heat the water up. My family had a pool without a screen and no heater and from around April to October it would be very warm to swim in.

If you are in a developed suburban area then mosquitos aren't really a problem, you see them more in swampy more rural areas with a lot of standing water. But you never know if your nextdoor neighbor has pots of standing water around or neglects their pool so it turns into a mosquito farm.

But from time you will get stuff like lovebugs and flying ants that show up out of nowhere and get into the pool, and a screen would keep that out. Also there used to be burn-offs from the sugar farms in the Glades that would cause filmy yellow ash to fall on where we lived in Wellington, and it would get into the pool which was kind of nasty. Not sure if that still happens or if a screen would keep that out.

Now if there was ever a tornado or hurricane that hits you, I bet that screen would turn into a huge liability or at least could get wrecked.

So I think there are plusses and minuses for a screen.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM

232 posts, read 773,362 times
The screens didnt do too well in the hurricanes

Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM

31 posts, read 144,305 times
That's the main reason you don't see the screens on a lot of the pools. The hurricanes took them and owners decided not to put them back on.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM

24 posts, read 69,988 times
We put a screen enclosure up when we built our pool, 9 months later Hurricane Wilma took it down. The screen companies were really gouging people on replacing enclosures. We were getting quotes of up to 4 times what we had paid just one year prior so we decided to do with out. Now we have a fence around our pool. I seem to be the only family member who misses the screen. The kids love that the pool stays warm most of the year. My husband is glad not to have to heat the pool in the Winter. We have a "pool shark" pool vacuum that keeps yard debris out of the pool. As far as bugs being a problem, they only come out at dusk. We live on a lake and I still don't notice
bugs being a problem, probably because everyone has their yard sprayed. IMO,
don't rule out homes without screens - you can always add that later if you really wanted to!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 AM

76 posts, read 45,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godskid316 View Post
We put a screen enclosure up when we built our pool, 9 months later Hurricane Wilma took it down. The screen companies were really gouging people on replacing enclosures. We were getting quotes of up to 4 times what we had paid just one year prior so we decided to do with out. Now we have a fence around our pool. I seem to be the only family member who misses the screen. The kids love that the pool stays warm most of the year. My husband is glad not to have to heat the pool in the Winter. We have a "pool shark" pool vacuum that keeps yard debris out of the pool. As far as bugs being a problem, they only come out at dusk. We live on a lake and I still don't notice
bugs being a problem, probably because everyone has their yard sprayed. IMO,
don't rule out homes without screens - you can always add that later if you really wanted to!
Are the screens covered by Homeowners?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM

24 posts, read 69,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhat View Post
Are the screens covered by Homeowners?
Ours was covered back then, I'm not sure what the insurance companies do
with regard to screens now though. I can tell you that they sure do build the
screen enclosures differently now. They have much more stringent codes these
days.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 AM

114 posts, read 449,224 times
You need to add a rider on your policy for a screen enclosure.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM

76 posts, read 45,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godskid316 View Post
Ours was covered back then, I'm not sure what the insurance companies do
with regard to screens now though. I can tell you that they sure do build the
screen enclosures differently now. They have much more stringent codes these
days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstar View Post
You need to add a rider on your policy for a screen enclosure.
Ok, Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach