U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,244 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a feel for Loxahatchee? I am a 48 year old gay professional who has an opportunity to relocate. I am considering Loxahatchee for its large lot sizes and it looks like you can get a nice home for a reasonable price. What is the community like? The people? Crime? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,288,243 times
As far as I know it's one of the few parts of PBC that feels very "country"...lots of dirt roads, giant trucks, mud flaps, cowboy hats, etc. That's what it was like when I was a kid but I moved out of PBC about 10 years ago and haven't been to the Lox area since. It might have changed since then. Lot sizes are definitely pretty huge but it must feel a bit isolated and out in the sticks.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
As far as I know it's one of the few parts of PBC that feels very "country"...lots of dirt roads, giant trucks, mud flaps, cowboy hats, etc. That's what it was like when I was a kid but I moved out of PBC about 10 years ago and haven't been to the Lox area since. It might have changed since then. Lot sizes are definitely pretty huge but it must feel a bit isolated and out in the sticks.
Hasn't changed, it's still the same. Think jacked up pick-up trucks, 4 runners, rebel flags and camo. Jupiter Farms is another area that's very similar. Some people like this style of life, can't say it's my cup of tea but whatever if it works for them. People use to say Wellington was in the sticks 10 years ago, now look at it. Loxahatchee though probably won't change much in the coming years.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 AM

261 posts, read 663,300 times
Loxahatchee isn't all good old boys with jacked up trucks. That is one of the groups, but it's a really diverse area like the rest of South Florida. There are also lots of people from other walks of life who enjoy a more rural lifestyle. Lots of nurseries, stables, and people growing fruit trees, etc. Some areas are mostly 1 acres lots and feel like a normal neighborhood, while other areas with larger lots feel very rural. We really like it overall, even though it can be a bit redneck. It's always nice to come home after visiting people who live in the more crowded areas closer to the beach.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,239,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Loxahatchee isn't all good old boys with jacked up trucks. That is one of the groups, but it's a really diverse area like the rest of South Florida. There are also lots of people from other walks of life who enjoy a more rural lifestyle. Lots of nurseries, stables, and people growing fruit trees, etc. Some areas are mostly 1 acres lots and feel like a normal neighborhood, while other areas with larger lots feel very rural. We really like it overall, even though it can be a bit redneck. It's always nice to come home after visiting people who live in the more crowded areas closer to the beach.
Yes you are correct, but everyone I know that lives in Loxahatchee and the Farms, talks this way and while they are not of the type "good'ole boys", they are always bashing it themselves about the residents and their red neck ways. Could be swamp buggies in the front yard to guns going off at random.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM

70 posts, read 165,911 times
I'm moving out there this June and my best friend is gay and let me be honest: When I try and think of the least gay-friendly town in SoFla it's either 1 or 2 on my list after Jupiter Farms.

It's easy to know everyone out there, I have many friends who all know each other out there and let me tell you that I also have many bigoted friends out there. If you want to have room to run it's the place to be though!

Jupiter Farms is amazing as well.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,610,088 times
I think people move to Loxahatchee/Acreage because they want to be left alone on their plot of land. So, unless there's inordinate attention to gayness (such as flying the rainbow flag), I wouldn't imagine there should be problems with the percentage of population that skews more conservative out that way.

But, to be sure, one of the Palm Beach County gayborhoods it is definitely not!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM

261 posts, read 663,300 times
I think TriMT7 is right on the money. I know who my neighbors are, but we rarely interact. It's really easy to screen your property so you don't even see them. I have made a few friends out here and none of them fit the stereotype. The only stores I really go to are Publix and Walgreens. I live about as far out as you can get, and it's like 20 minutes to the corner of Southern and 441 where there is almost anything you need. If I want to go out, I hop on Northlake and head downtown. We got 5 secluded acres with a sweet house for dirt cheap, and we are only 30-40 minutes from the beach. It's just a South Florida bedroom community, but people around here act like it is sooo far out.

It is kinda weird out here, but that's just part of Loxahatchee. The gunshots took some getting used to, lol, but I'm not sure if that happens in the more densely populated areas. Complaining about junk cars and stuff, though? That's why people live here. It's pretty much a live and let live area.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 13,390 times
Much of Palm Beach County, like the rest of the nation, has been in a transition due to RE market and the Lox. area is no exception. Vacant and foreclosed homes >1-2 yrs are not uncommonly scattered throughout the Acreage. You might see a house obviously vacant next to a well manicured, 1-2 acre 2500sf home with a boat or other toys in the driveway. Many who left did so because of the cancer problem or bought at the peak('05-'08) not able to profit and not much to lose, walked away from their mortgage, either their children not rooted in the community or they were investors looking to flip for profit. Those that stay and maintain their properties bought >8-10 yrs ago and enjoy the lifestyle of land, quiet, good people and schools.

Wellington is 15 min south and 20 minutes you can be at the beach, Jupiter, downtown WPB, or south into Lake Worth or Boynton. Loxahatchee has a diversity of people, renters seem to be increasing and schools remain top, although census has significantly dropped, as has other schools in the county this year.

What its like: Quiet and dark, stars nightly or headlights on aircraft easily seen, most light is from a full-moon. Fireworks are not uncommon during holidays(when its not dry) and mornings you dont need an alarm clock as birds can be loud. Guns are not frequent, certainly do happen, and unlike hearing a shot in the city, here you do not get that panic. People know better than to travel to Lox., unless you live here you dont want to get lost, dirt roads and little light, and people have no tolerance for those that do not respect their property or others. Mudding, hunting, horses, nurserys, bbq, fire pits, chili fest, competitive sports, parks, 4-wheelers, and community events are common. Many have moved from south, broward/dade countys, the younger family's and kids once making up the area have dwindled, although I did see a nicely dressed man in his 30's jogging with two infants in a jogger the other day. There is a mix of culture and people, incl country & muddin folks.

For the most part, people are educated and opened minded, enjoy the outdoors and their space, and drink a lot of beer!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM

8 posts, read 32,651 times
Loxahatchee is terrible. Tons of illegals, foreclosures, high taxes despite NO services, nothing is close by or convienent, dirt roads everywhere, crime (due to one or two deputies for the whole area). Very common to see junk cars in someone's yard or a guy with 25 roosters in crates in the backyard. No rules, well water, cancer cluster scares and lots of uneducated folks.

I love hearing how everyone loves living out there despite the 40 minute drive back to I95 to get anywhere and since there are TWO main feeder roads to get there the rush hour traffic is terrible between 6-9 and 4-7. Figure out what "living in the country" costs when you are commuting 10 hours+ a week and driving 50+ miles a day east/west. Is the peace and quiet worth the well water, dirt roads and hours of commuting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach