Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM

623 posts, read 1,302,433 times

Advertisements

one state vs. another state?

greatschools.org not really helpful as far as I can tell.

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM

50 posts, read 80,957 times
hard to compare state to state, the state gives a rating in ea state A, B, C..there are national schools of excellence, my daughter attends one here in Ohio..we are looking at moving to FL too, I have a friend who moved there, she told me the charter schools are best in FL and that they are still only about 70% as good as Ohio, but I think you have to look at ea indivdual school, I will have to actually visit the schools my kids would be attending before I could feel comfy enrolling them...

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingawaysnow View Post
hard to compare state to state, the state gives a rating in ea state A, B, C..there are national schools of excellence, my daughter attends one here in Ohio..we are looking at moving to FL too, I have a friend who moved there, she told me the charter schools are best in FL and that they are still only about 70% as good as Ohio, but I think you have to look at ea indivdual school, I will have to actually visit the schools my kids would be attending before I could feel comfy enrolling them...

Same here. I'm on the tours, in the classrooms,

HELP me, Idon't know what to look for.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Look for Happy Kids..Healthy Environment and what the school has as a and what they can offer your child..We did that before we moved and No matter how much homework one does, sometimes you still make the wrong choices..We started in West Boca big mistake were fortunate to move to Central Boca with Different Schools and we love it and so do the kids...My son's HS had everything we were looking for, and Living in NC where so many Floridians are now I had some Acquaintances that lived in Central Boca and told me about Spanish River whom I kept in touch with after spending 6 months in West Boca Schools....I took a tour and the met with the Guidance Counselor had all my questions asked did my homework on the school and made the best decision...My sister and I were having this conversation yesterday she lives in NYC and we were just saying how in High School it becomes a level playing field which is why these schools offer Honors and AP Classes because no child learns the same so to speak..We love the Teachers in our HS and Our son is very comfortable there..born and raised in NYC Schools, My kids went to school in NJ and all I can say is that we are very happy with the quality of education our children are receiving especially our Sophomore...

Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Small world Swimmom! Were you in or near Paramus or Summit?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM

50 posts, read 80,957 times
Default that is great

that is great that you found schools you are happy with, I hear so much negativity about florida schools that it is scary, but I think people should not generalize, maybe the schools are worse than Ohio in the midwest, as a whole maybe in general one could say fl schools are worse than Ohio, but I am sure there are some schools in Ohio worse than some schools in Florida, Id take the best I can find in florida anyday, my kids are good, my eldest daughter is going in 7th next year and has already been tested to go into prealgebra (honors math) basically puts her a year ahead of the game in math, she will be doing essentially normal 8th grade math! I am so proud of her...

anyways got off track there a bit, it is encouraging to see someone who made the move down there that is happy with their schools for the kids, so what brought you to Boca area? new job etc? How is everythign else? Are y ou loving the weather or what??

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Skav we were in Manalapan twp, Millstone Twp and Jackson Twp....Monmouth and Ocean County before moving to NC...and yes your right people cant Generalize...We have always wanted to come to florida and 12 years ago we were going to build in Wellington well Jewish Guilt from my mom lol but in the end everything happens for a reason..With that being said our family needed a change we werent happy in NC and dh had a great opportunity here in South Florida..We also Liked what it had to offer our family as we knew the Bad the good and the ugly of florida..and well there is no Utopia anywhere and after living in so many different places life is what you make of it...DH commutes to Dural yes its a terrible commute but we have no plans on leaving the Boca Area so it is what it is....I also have my aunt and uncle here although they travel most of the year and my parents are snowbirds from Jan to end of april...We moved to Boca because after visiting south florida for So many years like dh and I had we knew Boca had excellent schools and would fit what we were looking for..I did alot of research too..Yes its a little more expensive than some areas but its well worth any sacrifices as our children come before anything else especially Academically....Yes we love the Weather... We also love living in Florida!!

Last edited by Swimmom32; 03-02-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach