U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM

63 posts, read 182,618 times

Advertisements

Dear NYmom,

I grew up in Long Island (Northport) and NYC. Now, we are now moving our family from Boston to head down to Boca. The good people on this forum have been very helpful in getting sound advice and the needed information. My husband is heading next week to start his job (trying to find a temporary place) and then we join him (looking at rentals) come July. We have moved our daughter too much, so I would like her to finish her second grade and then ride down to Boca. I am looking at camps, so that she could meet kids over the summer. I know it is a lot (trust me), but eventually we make it home. I wish you the best in all of this.
Perhaps contact the school in NY and the school in Boca to get feedback.
Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmom of 2 boys View Post
I just googled a search about the elementary schools in Boca Raton and happened to stumble across this web page. I don't mean to intrude on your conversations here but seems like I am in the same boat. I am oh so confused right now, lol. My husband, my 2 boys and myself currently live in NY (long Island). My husband just got offered a job in Port everglades and accepted. We are not ready to move yet but it seems as though we are doing it anyway. There would not even be a question in my mind, if it was not for my 2 boys (agaes 8 & 6). Would either of you happen to know when the schools in Boca get out for summer vacation? My boys don't start vacation here until the end of June and I am so worried about transferring them to a school down there, I don't know how this will work being that school is almost over. I was all for making this move, now that it is a reality I am terrified! Any comments would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 AM

32 posts, read 104,935 times
Default theater & west boca

Quote:
Originally Posted by twho62 View Post
I know there are great public elementary schools in Boca, but greatschool.net has parent reviews that are mixed. All over the board

What schools do people recommend? Central or East Boca Raton?
West? Though we like to be near things...
All new to this. Doing this from a far and would appreciate any info.

Thank you!

p.s Any great drama/music summer theater courses you would recommend for our dd?
Just want to comment - We moved to West Boca last summer and enrolled our 8 yo dd in Bravo Academy - they have dance/musical theater camp - and she's now in their theater program. Great teachers, but low-stress theater program b/c it's 'educational' - kids share the major roles.
Loved the camp b/c it doesn't fill up and I could sign her up last minute for whichever sessions I needed.

I know the City of Boca has a good summer theater camp held at Sugar Sand Park's theater - we plan to do that one this year.

Also - I must comment on one poster's 'west boca' comment. Perhaps there are some club-type communities that have Range Rovers behind gates, but we live in a non-gated community with reasonable HOA rates and these are 2-career working folks with young and older kids. Nice homes, but very reasonable with today's home prices. The only SAHM with a Range Rover I know pays $2000 rent for a little 3BR (that needs work) in East Boca.

We looked east and gave up on the higher insurance/smaller yards. I was leery of Boca Middle too - and we just left the cities up north where we paid too much tuition!

I also noted that the parent comments on Great Schools are pretty sparse. For all the hundreds of families that go through, there are maybe a dozen comments over several years. So I didn't put much stock into them.

Most of the public schools out here are pretty good, but don't have the resources that private have. I'm quite happy with our math teacher and just as importantly the work ethic of the kids and families in our school. (Sandpiper Shores)

OK - that's all for now!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM

63 posts, read 182,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestmom View Post
Just want to comment - We moved to West Boca last summer and enrolled our 8 yo dd in Bravo Academy - they have dance/musical theater camp - and she's now in their theater program. Great teachers, but low-stress theater program b/c it's 'educational' - kids share the major roles.
Loved the camp b/c it doesn't fill up and I could sign her up last minute for whichever sessions I needed.

I know the City of Boca has a good summer theater camp held at Sugar Sand Park's theater - we plan to do that one this year.

Also - I must comment on one poster's 'west boca' comment. Perhaps there are some club-type communities that have Range Rovers behind gates, but we live in a non-gated community with reasonable HOA rates and these are 2-career working folks with young and older kids. Nice homes, but very reasonable with today's home prices. The only SAHM with a Range Rover I know pays $2000 rent for a little 3BR (that needs work) in East Boca.

We looked east and gave up on the higher insurance/smaller yards. I was leery of Boca Middle too - and we just left the cities up north where we paid too much tuition!

I also noted that the parent comments on Great Schools are pretty sparse. For all the hundreds of families that go through, there are maybe a dozen comments over several years. So I didn't put much stock into them.

Most of the public schools out here are pretty good, but don't have the resources that private have. I'm quite happy with our math teacher and just as importantly the work ethic of the kids and families in our school. (Sandpiper Shores)

OK - that's all for now!
Thank you for taking time to reply and for giving needed info!

I will check out Bravo Academy - it sounds great for my dd!!
I have also put Sandpiper as a school area to look at...
I am listening to all the info about Boca and finding what fits for our family. We have to rent for now (yeah we know Boca is not cheap - beats MA in rents) and can't afford private (I still have to find a job) so we are looking at all the great schools in Boca (and yes, I don't want her in Boca Community Middle school after Addison...hear a lot of negatives on Boca Community). So, husband is going down tomorrow (starting his job) and looking at rents and schools. I will update all where we land. Thank you much!
p.s I am Nyr, but now living in Boston. My dd's school is one of the top schools of MA and it is losing all music, library, arts next year. Go figure?

Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,719 times
Default Recommendation for Theater Summer Camp

If you're still looking for a theater summer camp, I would recommend
DramaWorks Musical Theater Summer Camp
Director: Heather Schmulian
When: June 6th : 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Price:$300 per week
Venue:Boca Raton Prep School
10333 Diego Dr S, Boca Raton, FL, 33428-1328
Phone:561-542-3254 (Phone)

My daughter attended her camp last year and she absolutely loved it!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 PM

32 posts, read 104,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachacat1 View Post
If you're still looking for a theater summer camp, I would recommend
DramaWorks Musical Theater Summer Camp
I've heard great things about this camp, too.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it! I have spoken to my boys school here in NY & the new one in Boca and both of them said that I can transfer the boys out at anytime without the boys suffering in anyway. Luckily they are only in kindergarten & second grade - they have been receiving good grades and they said it wont be a problem, I am relieved. I thank you all so much for your help!!!!! I will be down soon and am sooooooo looking forward to the nice weather!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 5,287 times
We are going to work in boca. We want some advice for a public elementary school. Any help? We want a school near a safe place to live .... We cant afford a private school but we really want a mix of things in the school for our 5 years and 7 years kids: sports, arts and a good / safe environment

Last edited by Hugshere; 07-30-2012 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM

143 posts, read 443,357 times
Calusa Elementary and Del Prado are two of the top in Boca. I have friends that have kids in Calusa and love it.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,272,053 times
I 2nd Del Prado and Calusa our daughter attended Calusa and we liked the school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>