Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM

61 posts, read 130,180 times

Advertisements

I have over 16.5 years experience supporting top companies like Unilever and Major financial institutions including working on the world largest trading floor. I have an extensive resume with college degree's, certifications, etc. I am more than qualified for the jobs I apply for in south florida area. I even relocated down there for 2.5 months to look for a position. Everything I find and apply to I NEVER get so much as a call or interest at all? Again I fit and am VERY qualified for these positions? I returned back to CT/NYC area for the holidays and almost every job I apply for here I get some kind of contact or interview scheduled?? I seriously would rather live down there, and its not like technical support is not needed there?

How does anyone get employed down there? I understand the job market is terrible but I am finding several jobs being advertised that I am qualified for? But there is never a response?

Someone told me you have to know someone within that company to get a position there.

Any info on landing a job down there is very appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 PM

141 posts, read 453,593 times
tobusy4 I am sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you need to get a little more creative in your efforts. Put yourself out there, post your resume on classified sites like CL, and the usual places such as monster etc.

Did you consider using an agency to market your skills for you? Having a website can go a long way also and its a great way to show off your skills and I think says a lot more about a person than a resume does.

Good luck

Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
South Florida is NOT a tech area.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
My husband had connections that is the only way we got down here...

Old 12-27-2010, 03:01 PM

my DH worked on wall street for alot of years and then in Fortune 500 company's in IT Management but he is on the business/sales and Operations side...and has 20 years of experience.. its very difficult out there in this industry..So many of our friends in IT are still out of work up North and the salaries aren't really good anymore either..The Recruiters here have alot to be desired I would try and Network, Network and more Network...

Good Luck

Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 AM

Salaries and positions up North are sill fine, especially NYC area I have interviewed for $100/hr positions. I just have a terrible sinous condition with cold weather and find I am unable to function well from a health prospective in winter in the NE. I need to go somewhere warm doctor said. SF is the lifestyle I want. Its just employment wise, I have not seen anything so backwards? I do find jobs there I completely qualify for and can't understand why I do not get any response back from any of them? I do have a recruiter, he is basically useless as has not come up with a single interview. What does it take to get noticed down there? Do you have to pay someone to hire you?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobusy4 View Post
Salaries and positions up North are sill fine, especially NYC area I have interviewed for $100/hr positions. I just have a terrible sinous condition with cold weather and find I am unable to function well from a health prospective in winter in the NE. I need to go somewhere warm doctor said. SF is the lifestyle I want. Its just employment wise, I have not seen anything so backwards? I do find jobs there I completely qualify for and can't understand why I do not get any response back from any of them? I do have a recruiter, he is basically useless as has not come up with a single interview. What does it take to get noticed down there? Do you have to pay someone to hire you?
your lucky then...My dh's friends are CEO's and Senior Executive Management and their salaries up in NYC arent that great..and they are lucky if they can find a job offering decent amount of money and these are people with 15-25 years experience in the Industry who are used to make Alot of money and living a very nice lifestyle and these people who are still looking or out of work cant believe what company's are offering today...its very sad depending on what one does for a living...Using a Recruiter here well alot of them aren't so good so unless you know people it might be quiet difficult...If you have sinus's issues Florida IS not the place to be...My son is very sick with major sinusitis that he did not have up north, as well as major allergies..and now has to have allergy shots every week...NOTHING dies here in South Florida so I would suggest maybe Arizona? You could also check NC they have jobs and their salaries arent too bad either..we didnt have Sinus Problems or Allergies...

As far as Jobs I dont know what to tell you its all about the Networking..My dh was very well known Up north so with all his connections it only took him 2 months to find a Job and never had to take a pay cut...we also have our own business and have made connections as well...

Good Luck to you...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 12-31-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM

Executive and senior jobs have taken a hit up north. I mostly do consulting support for trading floors for investment banking and it pays well in NYC and the jobs are a plenty. I also build complete networks and servers for small to mid sized companies. My average salary up here is $145K a year. I am struggling to land $65K down there. Most places only offer $40K and want to pay a cisco certified MCSE tech $12/hr. (for real) My 22yo nanny friends up here make $15/hr minimum with no experience. I will take a pay cut, have no problem with that, but I have to make at least in the mid 60's.

I do not have allergies, just every time it gets cold I get major sinous congestions. It happens every single year and they progressively get worse. I am completely fine in warm weather. I stayed in fla for 3months had no sinous problems whatsoever.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:44 PM

then your lucky...we all suffer from sinus problems which we never did..My dh used to build out Data Centers for very large corporations and is in Consulting Management...the financial business isn't here...Again I would try Charlotte NC or Atlanta even..they have seasons but if you are looking for a decent income as there are not alot of jobs for what you do here in South Florida..You can always try Miami alot of company's there....

Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM

I have been warned by many to stay away from Miami...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach