Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM

65 posts, read 166,395 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to South Florida in the next few months. I have been down there two or three times per year since I was a kid, but never for more than a week. I have spent time in Port St. Lucie, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Coral Gables.

I love the Treasure Coast area, but I'm thinking I might get bored as a (relatively) young single guy.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are too congested and politically left-leaning for me.

West Palm Beach and Boca... this isn't going to sound politically correct, but hopefully people realize that everyone has their own personal preferences and this board is meant to be a place to state them... I am looking for an area a little bit less Jewish.

I've heard that Jupiter, and to a lesser extent Palm Beach Gardens, have a more laid back, politically moderate, and less materialistic feel than places like Boca... and that there is more going on there than somewhere like PSL. Also, it's only 25 minutes or so from downtown WPB.

For a 30 year old (heterosexual) single male, is Jupiter worth giving serious consideration? What other questions should I be asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Not at all! Jupiter is a family orientated town. I mean, you can still live there but it's still extremely expensive to live in and not a place for single men to find women. You don't like areas that are predominately Jewish but Boca has alot of good looking women residing there. It's the only place in Palm Beach County I would be at if that were my main priority. However, if you want to broaden your horizens and step out the east coast, if you go to Tampa, there are lots of beautiful single women there as well. Way more than Boca. Tampa has a great dating scene and nightlife. Most of the young professionals (new graduates from universities) relocate to Tampa. If I were you, I'd take a weekend trip to Tampa and check out the scene and what's going on.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Confused about the "Jewish" thing... but, assuming it's a cultural preference and not some sort of bigotry thing....

Downtown West Palm Beach, downtown Delray Beach and the Palm Beach Gardens areas have more going on than Jupiter, though Jupiter is admittedly close enough to action if you don't mind driving for it. There are lots of young professionals in all three of those general locations to mingle with.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM

I might give Tampa a look. I've just always loved the aesthetic feel of the east coast of Florida, particularly from Vero down to Jupiter. I would move to the Treasure Coast if I weren't afraid of being bored. I'd love to hear more about Tampa, though.

Tri, it's definitely a cultural preference, not anti-Semitism. I just don't like the "feel" of Boca. I'm looking for the best of both worlds -- a laid-back, peaceful area but one where I won't get too bored or have trouble scoring with some attractive ladies -- and that is difficult to find.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerWoodsLibido View Post
I might give Tampa a look. I've just always loved the aesthetic feel of the east coast of Florida, particularly from Vero down to Jupiter. I would move to the Treasure Coast if I weren't afraid of being bored. I'd love to hear more about Tampa, though.

Tri, it's definitely a cultural preference, not anti-Semitism. I just don't like the "feel" of Boca. I'm looking for the best of both worlds -- a laid-back, peaceful area but one where I won't get too bored or have trouble scoring with some attractive ladies -- and that is difficult to find.
Palm Beach Gardens might be a good middle ground then.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
I"m 31 and enjoy PBG. I have a GF, but think I would enjoy it without one just fine. Plenty of stuff going on for young professionals. Lots of happy hours, meetups, etc
Jupiter in the Abacoa area wouldn't be too bad either, we're actually moving there at the end of the month. I'd probably do PBG over Jupiter though if I were single...

Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
What do you do for a living? I don't like long drive times on a regular basis so that would be something I would take into account.
Do you know anyone in any of these areas? Always nice to have someone near if possible. They can introduce you to people and makes the transition nice.
I am your age and have a guy friend your age who recently moved from out of state to West Palm. He actually likes it and sounds similar to you in terms of what he was looking for. I live in Boca and it does not sound like what you are looking for. When ever I have visited Jupiter it seems like a nice family oriented place. PBG seems younger professionals with plenty going on and more down to earth then Boca. Tampa I read is more afforable then PBC. I don't know that for a fact but what I have read.
I guess if I were you I would look at where you will work or where will give you the best opportunity for work,safety,price range you can afford,and then spend some time in each area.
Somewhere I read too about when you want to move somewhere to go places you go on a daily basis to get a feel for living rather then a feel for vacationing.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM

232 posts, read 773,362 times
One key advantage of Jupiter over PBG are the beaches. You will find plenty of young people at the beaches. But the nightlife is definitely lacking in comparison.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Beach access is a huge draw for me.

I'm intrigued by the Abacoa area. I looked it up online and it appeared to be one of those planned "live, work, play" communities. Looked very nice, however. Can anyone offer more insight? Would I find a decent number of young people (females) in the area?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
LOL, there's plenty of (females) in Abacoa. There is a college in Abacoa, so there is a younger crowd mixed in with the families. There's a few small college type bars as well.
We're moving there because we have a few other friends that live there and love it. It's a straight shot to the beach, and the beach is dog friendly which a lot of people enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach