Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,392 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I initially sent this as a PM to skylinet as I gathered he was a knowledgeable and reputable member here. He provided some great MLS search options and a suggestion (I won't outright mention his suggestion so as to prevent biases here)...

My brother and I would appreciate any input from you all...

I'm a 27yo male, and my 25yo brother and I are moving to Boca to work join a family member, help him run his business. We are really unsure of what area(s) to look to live.

We've enough saved and some help from parents, and would like to buy in a place we may later use for rental income... in say 4-8 years.

We'd ideally like to be around young professionals as a top priority.. where nightlife or shops or whatever the main draw is... hopefully close or walking distance.

I've heard downtown Delray is very unsafe at night when off the beaten path. Others have mentioned "East Boca" which I all I think this means is the Mizner area, I was under the impression that was a snooty area for the older folks down here. Is there much youthful activity in "East Boca" ? What constitutes the "East Boca" area?

Other than "East Boca" and Downtown Delray I'm left scratching my head... Would we be better off to suck it up and make the 40+ minute commute from Ft. Lauderdale or WPB instead?

Thank you so much,

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 19,011 times
I no longer live in Boca, but I used to live in East Boca and my parents still live there. I consider East Boca to be east of I-95 (others may extend that boundary a little). I would have to agree that "East Boca" would probably have more of what you are looking for over "West Boca." And to be able to walk to "nightlife" in Boca your best bet is the area around Mizner Park and Royal Palm Place. However, as someone in my mid-twenties, I would prefer to live in Downtown Delray over Boca (it has more options for nightlife and friends still in Boca choose to go out in Delray (or Ft. Lauderdale)). I'm not sure of WPB, but Ft. Lauderdale may provide even more of what you are looking for (more nightlife, more people). I commuted from Boca to WPB, it was about 45 min, not terrible...but I only did it for a couple months, years of it may have changed my mind.

The locations you listed seem to be the best options in the area based on your wants (better than Deerfield or Boynton, my personal opinion). But I am speaking about which I would prefer as a fellow young professional, there may be considerations I am overlooking as you plan to make it a rental property in a few years.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,392 times
Thanks for the reply.. Very helpful... I see Murphys has closed down (across from Mizner)... I wonder where the FAU crowd goes..

Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM

71 posts, read 176,740 times
Hi Will,

I haven't responded since I posted my comments on "What is life like in Boca?" by Swan Dive.

"I wonder where the FAU crowd goes?"

You can pick up the University Press newspaper (FAU)
http://www.upressonline.com/

I noticed Rock City Pizzeria in FAU's R&D complex has the paper. They also have great pizza! Inside and outside seating. I heard their food is really really good. I only had their pizza.

The Research Park is adjacent to the north end of the FAU campus located within one-half mile of I-95 off Spanish River Blvd/NW 40th St. (between Military and Dixie.) Go South on NW 8th Ave./FAU Blvd. Look for the Rock City Pizzeria sign on the right side and turn into the complex. Continue straight to the end. Rock City Pizzeria is on the right side.

"Would we be better off to suck it up and make the 40+ minute commute from Ft. Lauderdale or WPB instead?"

I think that question can only be answered by you. I personally would want to live close to where I worked, esp. with the price of gas. If there is an accident on I95, it can take much longer to get home. If you want to go out and party in Ft. Lauderdale/WPB, you can hire a Limo on the weekend or get a friend that doesn't drink to be the designated driver.

You might want to join the groups I suggested to Swan Dive.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach