Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 50,391 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been seeking to answer the subject heading mystery by perusing the various threads for a couple of weeks as well as neighborhoodscout, walkscore, and esri and am still frankly confused over where to move.

Ideally - low crime, lots of kids for my 6 & 10 year old kids to play with, a walkable area (like Boulder, Santa Barbara,Old NE St. Pete, old towns in NJ), historic character rich areas and within a couple of miles or less to the beach.

If anyone has been to Saint Pete and seen the brick streets and historic homes or Boulder with the Pearl Street mall or the little hamlets in NJ, they know what I mean.

Lake Worth and Oakland Park have great walk-ability but apparently horrible crime. The Lake Worth and West Palm area apparently has great historic area with awesome character but the gang activity in the former and the commute in the latter rule them out.

Are the crime statistics at all exaggerated? I look up areas I used to live and am shocked by the scores.

Boca neighborhoods like Tunison, Camino Gardens and Palm Beach Farms look okay as they meet several criterion but I wish magnificent Old Floresta was Big Floresta as the neighborhood is woefully small.

Dare I consider Broward?

Right now we are pursuing private schools so that is one less thing to worry about.

Please guide me. I do not yet have realtor representation in some of these areas referenced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
the answer is no..you arent going to find neighborhoods like those..as I know which ones you are referring to...if your thinking private school than you have alot of choices...living in CO for 5.5 yrs you wont find that here either..and living in NJ and knowing that mall no again..sorry...You will find alot of beautiful Palm Trees

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks Swim Mom - I've read many of your posts and am grateful for your steady contributions to the city data populace. Sure hoped otherwise than your feedback, but my remote research suggests same. I guess I'll focus on Boca area as close to beach as possible and kid friendly.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
good luck to you g8tor

Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Hmmm.... in south county one of the best areas for Historic neighborhoods walkable/livable to a downtown area is EASTERN Delray Beach, which has several designated "Historic Districts":

Old School Square Historic District
Situated in the original geographic center of town, this fifteen block district features 176 structures, of which 101 are contributing (50 years old or older) buildings. The district provides the initial footprint for the settlement and development of the town. Every Pre-World War I and II Vernacular architectural style in the City can be found here. Rezoned for mixed use in 1990, Old School Square Historic District is proof that adaptive reuse of historic buildings increases the economic feasibility of restoring many of the town's most significant buildings. MAP - OSSHAD.pdf (179KB)

Nassau Park Historic District
Seventeen one and two story Cape Cod Colonial Revival cottages comprise this oceanside district. Platted in 1935, the district recalls the prosperity, pleasure, and style, which was the essence of the 1930s resort life in the City. The scale, dimension, and proportion of these modest homes are irreplaceable. Distinctive horizontal clapboard siding with multi-paned windows and elaborate doorways define these classic cottages. MAP - NASSAU.pdf (150KB)

Del-Ida Park Historic District
The district consists of 58 acres containing 151 structures. With a total of 47 contributing buildings in the Mediterranean Revival style and Craftsman Bungalow designs, this residential neighborhood was platted in 1923. One of Delray's first planned developments; the district features a unique, diagonal street pattern with curvilinear corners creating triangular blocks with varying street frontages. MAP - DEL IDA PARK.pdf (143KB)

Marina Historic District
Situated on the Intracoastal Waterway and built around the town's City Marina, the district displays a variety of architectural styles. Streamline Moderne, Colonial Revival, Mediterranean Revival, and Bungalows blend with the distinctive sub-tropical landscape. With its narrow and shaded streets, and the City Marina as a focal point, this is the town's most pedestrian oriented neighborhood. The district contains 96 buildings of which 51 are contributing. MAP - MARINA.pdf (164KB)

West Settlers Historic District
The West Settlers Historic District has a high threshold of historical significance. It is culturally meaningful for its association with the pioneering African-American families who helped settle the City. Education and religion were the two most important institutions in the early days of the neighborhood. A school, three churches, and a Masonic Lodge were all established within the West Settlers Historic District between 1895 and 1920. The district contains 53 structures, 23 of which have historic status. MAP - WEST SETTLERS.pdf (134KB)

In general, the further east the better. East of Swinton considered best.

Historic Districts | The City of Delray Beach (http://www.mydelraybeach.com/Delray/Departments/Planning+and+Zoning/Historic+Preservation/Historic+Districts.htm - broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

I sure appreciate that data on Delray. I had read some of that and having visited that area was impressed. However, I had also heard, hopefully inaccurately, that the crime issues surrounding that geography are very pervasive and not safe for any wandering children. Tri - What is your viewpoint of that please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach