U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 9,346 times

Advertisements

I am moving south in Florida and need help finding a home. I am a disabled, single, 50yo female living on a fixed income. My lifestyle is healthy and includes the arts when possible. My job is to exercise and maintain my health as best as possible.

All of this means I am looking for a quiet and safe place near a bike trail or fitness trail and preferably close enough to the beach to be able to afford to swim daily. A reasonably priced yoga studio offering therapeutic yoga would be an amazing bonus for me. I do not have schools concerns and enjoy living in a more active community.

My budget is small so I realize compromise is in order. I am looking for a 7 - 12 month rental initially to become familiar with the area. (Ultimately, I will look to buy a 2 bedroom home as a final resting place). The rental can be furnished or not and would be flexible in terms. Rent absolute maximum would be $800/mo. and preferably include utilities (or most of them anyway.)

I plan to be in the area looking for a home beginning July 25. Please let me know of safe areas that may be worth looking into and feel free to send realtor referrals or other contacts that may be helpful in my search.

Thanks so much for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM

378 posts, read 799,324 times
You are smart. It is a great idea to test living in FL before making a long term commitment. If you are planning year round living, make sure you live there during Florida's 5 month long summer. Half the people that move to Florida, move back. Longer, hotter summers with a mandatory hurricane evacuation thrown is just one of the reasons. Moving cost money.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM

I am actually moving down from the Jacksonville area because the winters are too cold but I know what you mean about the Florida climate changes. I've been searching this site for potential locations that meet my needs and see quite a difference of opinion for safety and lifestyle. SHould be an interesting venture.

Any specific tips in Delray would be most helpful. I see that west is "boring" and downtown is "hip" so I am looking for something in between and safe.

Thanks again..

Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 56,574 times
Check out the area around east Linton Blvd. I live here and like it a lot, easy access to I 95, a mile to the beach and east Boca is also next door. You will love it here if you enjoy a healthy lifestyle, there is a huge yoga community here, the holistic wellness and raw food movement is on the rise. Lots of great yoga studios, I myself own a Pilates and Holistic wellness practice.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks Kris73! This is exactly what I am looking for. I'll be checking out the area for sure. Please let me know the name of your practice so I can check it out also.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 AM

321 posts, read 349,654 times
The 800/month will be challenging unless you sacrifice some safety and amenities.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM

232 posts, read 737,951 times
I wasnt aware of a 'mandatory hurricane evacuation'.

I would suggest searching for jupiter or boca (in this forum). You will find an insane amount of data from similiar people asking questions and you might find people who have made a similair move. I think the question is asked weekly on here so answers vary.

Jupiter is great for the beach and they also have yoga classes on the beach.

Also - check out craigslist for rentals. Gives you a broad idea of pricing and its free.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM

132 posts, read 210,808 times
There are inexpensive efficiencies south of Ocean Ridge, east of A1A and you can walk to the ocean. Ask around at Nomad's Surf Shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach