Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Northern Atlanta from the midwest. I've heard a lot of great things about Jupiter, FL. and like to find out more about the area. If i may couple of questions:

1. Is Jupiter a new, up and coming emerging area that is just starting to get discovered?

2. How come not many Asians live in Jupiter? Is it because of the schools, industry?

3. How does the schools and weather in Jupiter compare to a place like Oviedo?

4. Is Jupiter great place to vacation for a young family. If I like the area enough I would love to buy a small townhouse for the winters.

5. I am in the technology field. Is there a tech company presence in the Jupiter, FL or is the area mainly for retirees.

6. How do the beaches in Jupiter compare to the other beaches in Florida?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 24,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I recently moved to Northern Atlanta from the midwest. I've heard a lot of great things about Jupiter, FL. and like to find out more about the area. If i may couple of questions:

1. Is Jupiter a new, up and coming emerging area that is just starting to get discovered?
Somewhat. Most people would have answered "Yes" about 5 years ago. Jupiter was a much quieter vacation oriented area before prominent scientific research institutes (medical and engineering) began moving in - bringing a lot of medical service related growth. There is also a satellite campus of Florida Atlantic University here.

Quote:
2. How come not many Asians live in Jupiter? Is it because of the schools, industry?
I know of many Asians that live here - with the number steadily increasing. Many are international scientists in the medical research fields.

Quote:
3. How does the schools and weather in Jupiter compare to a place like Oviedo?
The public schools are good - I personally know some of the teachers. This is an upscale area and it is on par with what you would expect in such a neighborhood. If you have a requirement for only the very best education, I know of at least one very highly rated private school here.

Quote:
4. Is Jupiter great place to vacation for a young family. If I like the area enough I would love to buy a small townhouse for the winters.
Jupiter is a great place to vacation Some of the best beaches are here. If you have pets, we have one of the few dog beaches in the state. Also, other than the far north/panhandle, you can get almost anywhere in the state in about 2-2 1/2 hours. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Myers...

Quote:
5. I am in the technology field. Is there a tech company presence in the Jupiter, FL or is the area mainly for retirees.
Most of the industry here is related to science research. I do not specifically know of any tech companies here. If you work relates to engineering, you may want to consider the Max Planck Research Institute. I would not say that this is an area mainly for retirees - but almost anywhere in South Florida will have some retiree population.

Quote:
6. How do the beaches in Jupiter compare to the other beaches in Florida?
The beaches in this area are beautiful. There are a few other areas in Florida that compare, but all that I know of are MANY times more crowded. The beaches here are much quieter.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM

In terms of Jupiter's weather, how does it compare to San Diego and Atlanta. Are the summer weather brutal compared to Atlanta or comparable? Is this a good time to purchase a winter home in Jupiter?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
Weather here isn't as terrible as some people make it out to be. We just had friends in from Texas and they said they had 40+ days in a row of 100+ degree days. It doesn't get much warmer than the mid 90's, but it is pretty humid.
I'd say it's a pretty good time to buy a winter home, but I am a realtor...
The area has held it's value better than some of the surrounding communities. If you are looking for newer homes the Abacoa area is a great place to check out. Most homes are only a 6-8 years old and there's some great deals on townhomes right now. Very family friendly with lots of activities for children of all ages.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM

What are the HOA and property taxes in Jupiter? Are prices in Jupiter continuing to fall or has prices started to stabilize?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Dues on townhomes go from anywhere from the mid 100's-400+ depending on the amenities and whether or not exterior insurance is included. Taxes are roughly 2% of the purchase price.
Most of the communities have flattened out as far as prices are concerned.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Is there any of you who moved to Jupiter. FL from Southern California due to the high cost of living. How do you compare the lifestyle you had in California to Jupiter, FL. I am looking visit Jupiter with my family this winter.

Which months have the best weather in Jupiter through the year? I am curious to know if the weather overall weather in Jupiter is better than Atlanta.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
The overall weather in Jupiter is better than Atlanta.

Summer in Atlanta is just as miserable, if not moreso, than it is in South Florida. There is a little more humidity in SoFla, but the temps are a little lower, too... upper 80s/low 90s instead of upper 90s to 100+.

Where SoFla has a huge edge is in the winter. Whereas Atlanta is cold, gray, and depressing from mid-November to early March, the weather in Jupiter is about as perfect as you can get: low 70s during the day, 60 at night, with only moderate humidity.

Atlanta can be beautiful in the spring, but forget it if you have allergies. You won't enjoy wiping the half-inch of pollen off your windshield every day. Fall is the only season where ATL can compete with SoFla, in my opinion... and that is only if you prefer cool and crisp to balmy.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 35,638 times
I don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but what is the night life like in jupiter? I googled bars and didn't come up with much.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Abacoa has a couple decent bars, downtown at the Gardens has some good nightlife, and if you want more than that Cityplace/Clematis in West Palm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach