Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

I am not being rude and not condescending they are just the truth. Im so tired of people finding it hard to believe that people really do like it here and the bottom line is no matter where you go you will encounter the same kind of people in one way shape or form...so if the truth hurts then I dont know what else to say, but for people who continually post the same thing over and over again because of their experiences or they have lived there their whole life still does not mean that other people will not be happy here...I happen to speak my mind as there is no other way in life...I am honest and say it like it is because at the end of the day its the only way to be...Because one lives in a prestigious Town doesnt mean they need to get themselves caught up in that lifestyle. People can still live and meet normal people.and Im just a bit tired of hearing how stuck up it is wealthy yes no one is arguing that there are some not nice people there are not nice people everywhere, there are wealthy people everywhere, and rude people everywhere...If one has an issue with money, big homes and fancy cars then they need to live with people like them..for us we could care less who has what and how much..Again my children are extremely happy and have awesome friends and my kids happiness as well as our is our 1st priority..and later for those who think they are better someone else...We teach our children never to judge a book by its cover because more times than none people dont turn out like that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchiamom View Post
Every area has it's stereotypes. My husband thinks because I grew up in Jacksonville, that I lived on a farm....actually it was a country club. But his perception is that Jacksonville is all farms or trailer parks...Boca is what it is, we all have our own opinions and lifestyles, doesn't make anyone better than the next.
JC Very well Said....

Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
One of the big misconceptions is "everyone in Boca is rich!" I actually found too many folks are putting on the fascade yet don't have the dollars to back it up! I love the folks that live in Sandalfoot "bragging" they live in Boca Raton despite it NOT being in the city limits and the fact Sandalfoot is full of 100K 30 year old dumpy houses with a trailer park wedged in the middle of the subdivision. Better yet the guy that has a 8500 sq ft house with a couch and a mattress on the floor as his furnishings yet has a leased 100K car in the driveway!

Boca is FULL of sub-250K homes and I would be willing to bet for every million dollar mansion there are 3 sub-250K homes. Lots of people are living there for the address (renters included) that really can't afford to be there. Now in the last real estate boom there were plenty of 500K houses that really were inflated 100% and have now sunk back to 1990 price points. To prove my point, Realtor.com lists 1,724 homes from 5,000 to 250,000 yet only 358 homes from 1MM to 2.5MM.

There are plenty of average homes in Boca (yes even in city limits) that are very easily mistakeable for homes in Pompano Beach, Deerfield or even east Boynton Beach. Boca Square, Royal Oak Hills, Strathmore, Boca Madera are all older average homes (no glitz, glamour). Even if you want to consider the gated, golf club communities like Boca West (5 courses, gated complex, huge clubhouse, values that range from 15,900 for a 2bd condo (purchase price not including 70K club membership or 10K a year dues) all the way up to a 2.3MM SFR. The values are all over the place yet the city markets itself as "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

It is a lot like the NYC argument. How many people have you met from NYC that actually tell you that they are from Brooklyn or the Bronx? Very few, but everyone is quick to tell you they are from Manhattan! The fascade is that everyone has a penthouse on Park Ave and a winter home in the ultra exclusive Boca Raton.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Exactly City...So that was my point is that one does not have to live in those type of sub divisions and live with those kind of people, however yes your correct some people in the normal sub divisions do think they are better than you, but again no one says one has to socialize with those people either... I just think that there so many other things to focus on here that the "stereotype" is just that and certainly not fair to lump all of us together in one catagory....

Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 AM

100 posts, read 328,817 times
"SandalFoot" is so tacky, im sorry.

You're right, there is a trashy trailer park wedged in between 2 crap sub-divisions. It's also next to this ugly looking cumberland farms gas station and this uber ugly strip mall that is full of brazilian/caribbean quick marts and ghetto barber shop.

Consider Delray Beach, Boca, or even Deerfield Beach.
Even Parkland, which is just south of west Boca in Broward. Uber nice and suburban, nice houses, relatively newer, spacious lawns, etc

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM

I agree with you Dream...We didnt like living in West Boca we were way west...lol.. however its still all good...yes Parkland would be another good choice, although if they need schools I wouldn't consider Deerfield Beach......Now Delay depending on where you look, they attend the Boca Schools so that might be a good option as well.....good luck

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 AM

179 posts, read 565,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfam View Post
If you could offer advice that would be great. Thinking of a possible relocation to South Florida. Price not an issue-so please frame your responses around what is your IDEAL town/city in South florida all else being equal...

This is what we are looking for:

Cultural opportunities nearby

if possible (might be hard) walkable city/downtown-somehwere i can take teh stroller & go to post office, grocery store, bank etc.

Temple nearby & might be uncomfortable if my jewish child is the only one int eh class? so that is a consideration

Schools-I have heard such negative things about the schools-we are coming from great public schools in a NE college town-how bad are they in FL? compared to a place like suburban NY or outisde Boston for example? What makes them so bad? Dont think we can do private although maybe for High School..

Great Weather. Sophisticated people, Educated and cultured....?

Does this exist in Florida? please help us out. Thanks! We have 4 children & would prefer a palce with a lot of amenities/kid friendly things to do....

After all that you've mentioned pertaining to your desires, I think the only way for you to make this type of decision would be to take the family on a little vacation, specifically meant to scout out some possible locations. Just to base your major move on other peoples likes and dislikes, may actually cloud your decision, and make you miss out on a place that may actually be perfect for you and your family. South Florida is a wonderful place and has something for everyone, ONLY YOU can decide WHERE your something is

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 220,004 times
So if you say anything bad about Boca, your post will be removed. Just be careful

Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 PM

239 posts, read 474,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5312 View Post
So if you say anything bad about Boca, your post will be removed. Just be careful

But then why aren't the other 250 negative comments about Boca removed?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-16-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5312 View Post
Only posts that are off topic, or rude posts that are against the Terms of Service everyone agrees to when joining here are removed.

Publicly criticizing Moderator actions IS against the Terms of Service and may result in infractions and possible banning. Just a friendly warning.....

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach