U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 16,747 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am researching my relocation to Florida which is a definite next year. My oldest son will be attending college in either Tampa or Jacksonville (not sure which yet). And I have been interested in moving to Florida for awhile. I currently live in San Diego and I love the weather and diversity but not too fond of the cost of living. (Cost to purchase a home) I am interested in living in a coastal city or town, we love the beach. I am 37 years old and will be relocating as a single parent my children residing with me will be 13 and 2 years old. We are interested in coastal city with a lot of diversity (not to offend anyone please) but we are two or more races and embrace diversity and different cultures. I currently work in the insurance industry on the financial side (premium auditor). Prior to living in San Diego I resided in Atlanta for 5 years where I worked as an office manager and financial analyst. Before there I spent 5 years in Minneapolis… Any help with suggestions in arrears where I will have a good chance of finding employment and a safe affordable residence in a family community. Of course I am concerned about the school system also. So far I have been researching online, Broward county and Palm Beach county. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here in San Diego I am renting a 3 bedroom 950 square feet for $1750 and I live approximately 15 miles inland. No dishwasher or amenities its nothing fancy at all.

Oh we have a trip planned to come down in November and take a look around.

thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 AM

3,063 posts, read 6,955,839 times
Are you wanting to move to S FL or Tampa? S FL the average 3 bedroom would be similar to that price which sounds so cheap for CA. I have been looking in Coming from CA the summer in FL is going to be brutal to you so I encorage you to go there for a visit during that time. Nov is a beutiful time weather wise but the months May till then are not and I'm always cold. Tampa and Jacksonville are cheaper though then South FL.
If you have a job now I would not quit it to move to any state without a job lined up. I know people in many states with degrees yet work minimum pay jobs.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 16,747 times
]Yes what I pay is cheap for San Diego but imy place is nothing spectacular at all. It is a very small apartment it is old and basic, no dishwasher or amenities. A plus it is in a safe neighborhood with good schools and it only takes us 20 minutes to get to the beach.

I am use to extremely hot summers I lived in GA for awhile and the summers were brutal. My son will more than likely be in Tampa or Jacksonville but I think I rather live south. Where would I be more likely to find employment? Do you think there are more opportunities in Southern Florida?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by MovingAgain...; 09-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

21 posts, read 43,806 times
As a previous poster stated, summers in Florida are "brutal". Prepare for temps during the summer in the mid to high 90's, add the humidity and the heat index and it varies from 102-115 degrees. If you move close to the beach, you will normally have a afternoon sea breeze which helps somewhat. SE Florida which includes Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties have become extremely congested and are over-populated and crime ridden. It is no longer the paradise that it once was 30-40 years ago.

Right now the real estate market is in shambles and you should be able to rent or buy a pretty nice home or apartment for what you are paying in CA. Job market is in the top five worst in the entire country. The beaches are extremely nice and it is probably the best part of living here. Winters are beautiful but you are lucky if winter lasts more than 4 1/2 months, the rest of the year you are frying like an egg. Florida is very flat and SoFlo has been nearly completely paved over by malls, shopping centers, nursing homes and residential neighborhoods. Florida expanded so much over the last few decades but it is actually losing population now due to many of the factors I have mentioned above.

School system is corrupt and horrible IMO, lot's of drugs, crime, violence and gangs in the public schools. If you like cultural diversity, you will find no other area of the country that has a more diverse population although people are generally rude and arrogant (there are so few natives left), mostly all Northeastern transplants or immigrants (legal and illegal).

Every state has positive and negative aspects, there are far worse places to move to. If you can bear the extreme heat and humidity you may find it a good place. Good Luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 AM

3,063 posts, read 6,955,839 times
Is your current reason to move cause of family and wanting to be close to them?
I have lived in both CA and FL and FL in no way compares to CA to me in terms of everything. If I wanted to live in a more affordable place then CA I would not choose FL. I think there is better opportunity for jobs,cost of living,and better environment in other states.
If you have your heart on FL I would look on some of the major hospital websites and see what career opprotunities there are. If you are looking for lower cost of living South FL is higher then north or SE etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 987 times
Hello, My husband and I moved from San Diego to Jacksonville a few months ago. Our family lives in Fl and CA being so expensive to buy a home we made the move. Well... me miss SD because Jacksonville is much smaller and we do not find the diversity of restaurants,culture, and things to do here... We hope that we will find ourselves soon. We visited Tampa a couple times and we believe that is bigger city with more to do such different restaurants, culture, opera shows etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach