U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 207,633 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know (approx) what it could cost to install an in-ground pool in the WPB/Loxahatchee area? We are house hunting and have been doing a search on homes with an In-ground pool - but wondered if it made sense to widen our search for homes that may not have a pool, but we can have a pool/patio added later. I know when we looked in NC at one point, we heard numbers like $30-$40K.....but someone mentioned to my husband that in Florida is was more like $10-15K. Figured I would ask here in case anyone has done this themselves recently.

Thanks in advance!! ~Kathy
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,878,519 times
I'm not a pool contractor, but it is really going to depend on what kind of pool, features, amount/kind of decking, enclosure etc.
I always recommend to find a house with a pool if you really want one. Especially if you are looking for a short sale/foreclosure, because the pool will have little value in the sales price.
Unless you found an amazing house with everything else you wanted, for a great deal, you should save money buying a house with a pool verse installing your own.
There are 130 pool homes on the market right now in the acreage/Loxahatchee. You should be able to find something

Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM

12,140 posts, read 14,098,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
Does anyone know (approx) what it could cost to install an in-ground pool in the WPB/Loxahatchee area? We are house hunting and have been doing a search on homes with an In-ground pool - but wondered if it made sense to widen our search for homes that may not have a pool, but we can have a pool/patio added later. I know when we looked in NC at one point, we heard numbers like $30-$40K.....but someone mentioned to my husband that in Florida is was more like $10-15K. Figured I would ask here in case anyone has done this themselves recently.

Thanks in advance!! ~Kathy

Sky is 100% right on!

Gunite pool will cost you 30K for a basic 14X28, no spa/no waterfall/no screen/no fence/no heater and minimal decking (picture frame deck, just 3 ft or so around the pool). There are companies advertising the "TV Guide" pools (they are advertised on the back cover, any shape 14,999) but when you read what it doesn't include you quickly realize it is a come on, bait and switch type ad.

Options quickly spin the price higher so your 30K basic pool can easily hit 50K with a heater and screen enclosure.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you both so much! I had a feeling that number seemed to good to be true. Besides the cost of adding a pool - spa - patio etc, I am not sure I would really want to go through all the construction craziness that comes with installing a new pool! I think we'll have enough on our plates just MOVING!

Thanks again! I appreciate the quick replies!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,346 times
Buy a home with a pool. Prefer a concrete pool. As long as it is a concrete pool (even in poor condition) you can always remodel (resurface, re-tile, upgrade the decking) You cant really do much to a fiberglass pool except redo the deck..You will be suprised how reasonable it is to buy a pool home in Florida these days ..Dennis,New Port Richey

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks Dennis,

Yes, a pool is one of my "Must Haves" in our home search! We are heading down to WPB next weekend to look around a bit. Looking forward to it! ~Kathy

Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 AM

232 posts, read 688,694 times
I was wondering about Fiberglass pools - guess they are not the best idea.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM

12,140 posts, read 14,098,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHawkeye View Post
I was wondering about Fiberglass pools - guess they are not the best idea.
They are a cheaper alternative but for good reason!

2 types of fiberglass- one is a coating that is installed over a concrete shell (pool was normal gunite pool and needed refinishing so they rolled fiberglass on top to make it new) the other is an actual fiberglass tub that is trucked in and installed in a hole.

A fiberglass coated pool can be replastered (you have to chip/sandblast the old fiberglass off the concrete shell which adds considerable expense to the job).

A fiberglass tub is what it is, can't replaster it, can't update it, tough to repair it. If it cracks, just rip it out.

Decking looks better with a gunite pool, it flows better. On a fiberglass tub job it always seems to look added on. When you see it in person it immediately stands out.

A tub pool can sometimes be installed in places a concrete pool wouldn't be allowed since it is considered less permanent than a concrete pool. The FL keys comes to mind, lots of "tubs" down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach