Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times

Advertisements

I noticed there is no mention of employment needs or a job requirement?

If you are planning on moving here or other parts of South Florida with hopes of landing a job after the fact, I would think again on that idea. The job market here is not the best for a lot of sectors and the salaries tend to be lower on average.

Home prices have dropped but as mentioned, property taxes are high and also cannot forget the high cost of property insurance here.

Lastly, I would suggest you visit the area prior to relocating (if you have not already), the weather now till April or so will remind you if CA but after that, it will be the direct opposite and many transplants cannot deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

232 posts, read 773,153 times
If you are buying a home with cash - then you might get a great house for that price but may need to make some upgrades and what not.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM

623 posts, read 1,302,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I noticed there is no mention of employment needs or a job requirement?

If you are planning on moving here or other parts of South Florida with hopes of landing a job after the fact, I would think again on that idea. The job market here is not the best for a lot of sectors and the salaries tend to be lower on average.

Home prices have dropped but as mentioned, property taxes are high and also cannot forget the high cost of property insurance here.

Lastly, I would suggest you visit the area prior to relocating (if you have not already), the weather now till April or so will remind you if CA but after that, it will be the direct opposite and many transplants cannot deal with it.
Off topic, but aren't the RE taxes on homes here 2%? is that high? Is California, (ie. san diego - silicone valley) paying less than 2%? woaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Off topic, but aren't the RE taxes on homes here 2%? is that high? Is California, (ie. san diego - silicone valley) paying less than 2%? woaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Property taxes affect "home affordability" for the average person with a mortgage and monthly payments with escrowed taxes.

California has high home prices, and property taxes at approximately 1%.

A place like Texas has lower home prices, and property taxes at about 3%.

Florida is in the middle between both states (though really, some GREAT bargains to be had right now), with property taxes about 2%.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 AM

44 posts, read 83,816 times
I live in New York, and desperatley want to leave here, and move to Florida. I have done an extensive search, for the past year, and have a trememdous amount of info, and knowledge about area's, and neighborhoods, Thanks to the kind people from this site, and others, plus I have family members that live there which have contributed with their advice. I am very sympathetic, and understanding with what you are going through, so thats why I am reaching out to you, because so many have helped me. I am going down to Florida in March and plan on spending 3-4 weeks there, where at that time will confirm my selection of area's, and buy my home, and my Max is 160,000, for a home. Feel free to contact me through e-mail, and will help you out

Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 PM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
I would make sure you visit a lot first, especially in the summer, to make sure you know what you are getting into. We came down from Denver a little over 2 years ago, and are trying to move back. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my wife to rent first, so we are stuck trying to sell our house. Our move is about 50% family related and 50% wanting to get out of here. We are doing okay, but would like to leave.

We were very experienced with Florida and love the lifestyle overall. So, we basically couldn't resist the dirt cheap real estate prices and didn't plan too well, like so many others. I can't stress enough how grim the employment market is right now unless you are in something in high demand in this region, like health care or something. It's like that in most places right now, but still, that is the reality in Florida. I think things seem to be slowly turning around, but who knows.

When Rick Scott announced that's he's planning to slash funding for the liberal arts in Florida schools recently, my wife and I knew it was really time to go, no matter how long it takes to sell. We don't belong here and aren't wanted. All I can say is be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach