U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,550 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was born and raised in Los Angeles and lately I've had a huge itch to MOVE AWAY. I recently got married and me and my husband are in our late 20s. We want to buy a home and we honestly would have to wait years in L.A. because a decent home is $400,000 or more.

I would love to get feedback of people living in West Palm Beach, how do you like it there? what is a nice neighbordhood that houses cost around $100,000-$200,000 or is this even realistic?

We are not into the party scene, so not interested in too much of this. Thats actually why im not considering Miami too much because of things I've heard.

I would love to eventually have children so would like nice school areas.

I just want your thoughts overall on living in West Palm Beach. We are moving again because of home costs here in L.A. and because I really want to just start a new life someplace new that is beautiful, and calmer than L.A.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,523,097 times
There are tons of areas in West Palm Beach and Palm Beach County that would fit your criteria. 200k is a bit of a stretch for a SFH in a good area (with good schools), but you could definitely swing a nicely appointed townhouse for that much.

Do you want to be IN the city limits of West Palm Beach, or are you open to the suburban cities of West Palm?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 PM

41 posts, read 131,437 times
Hi there. As a California transplant, I definitely think your move could really make you happy. The initial cost of living difference is amazing, but there are some things in FL that are much more expensive. For instance, property tax... Much much more than CA, but still, it shouldn't keep you away.

For a young family, there are many great areas. As for downtown WPB, I wouldn't suggest it. WPB is very hit or miss in terms of nice areas. Some streets are nice and quiet, others make you feel like you should lock the car doors when driving down there... Personally, I would go a bit North and get into Palm Beach Gardens, or perhaps a bit South. Of course, the further South you go, things get more like California as you approach Ft. Lauderdale and Miami...

Good luck with your search and pending move!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM

623 posts, read 1,200,312 times
Property tax much more? Really? I think Fl RE taxes are about 2% right? And California is less than 2%???

Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,550 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. Now I'm thinking of whether to move to Miami instead, i just want to make sure i get affordable housing since thats the main reason why we want to move from Los Angeles. Houses are expensive, in a decent area its about $450+ and well renting a one bedroom in a semi ghetto area is $1,250. So im just hoping it will be better in Miami! :-)

Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,523,097 times
In general, it gets more expensive as you go south in South Florida. Miami may also not be "calmer" than Los Angeles, unless you live out in the burbs.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM

5,194 posts, read 8,427,694 times
Cities in broward county like Plantation, Weston, Davie, Coral Springs are nice.
in Palm beach county, check out delray beach and boca raton

Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 PM

238 posts, read 524,760 times
Also Miami has a huge cuban population and if you don't speak spanish and into that type of environment, you probably wouldn't be very happy...
It isn't like the Miami of several decades ago anymore...when it was predominately a jewish population living there...it has totally changed over the years...

Anywhere from Fort Lauderdale up to West Palm Beach would be more, shall we say "well rounded" in terms of mix of cultures, etc...and you wouldn't have to be concerned about knowing fluent spanish...

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM

623 posts, read 1,200,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Also Miami has a huge cuban population and if you don't speak spanish and into that type of environment, you probably wouldn't be very happy...

Anywhere from Fort Lauderdale up to West Palm Beach would be more, shall we say "well rounded" in terms of mix of cultures, etc...and you wouldn't have to be concerned about knowing fluent spanish...
We love Miami. Problem was schools and $$$ housing. Any decent public schools are in very very expensive areas.

Maybe that will change... ?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,041,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jna0710 View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. Now I'm thinking of whether to move to Miami instead, i just want to make sure i get affordable housing since thats the main reason why we want to move from Los Angeles. Houses are expensive, in a decent area its about $450+ and well renting a one bedroom in a semi ghetto area is $1,250. So im just hoping it will be better in Miami! :-)
They don't come on here much anymore, but there was a real nice couple "firsttimer99" who made the same move last year. They were so happy with what they found here vs. LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach